DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Things DJI can improve in Mini 3. Just my opinion.

Dushash

Reactions
If DJI will release Mini 3, I would really like to see several things that Mini 2 is missing.

1. Better camera. Slightly bigger sensor with better low light capability and a better zoom to go with it. Workable x2 zoom already exists in Mini2, but x4 zoom is noticeably poor. So maybe we can see workable x4 zoom in Mini 3?

2. Obstacle avoidance. Mini 2 is 238g. So it has capability to carry couple more sensors. Now the question is if DJI decides to put them on back and sides or back and top? I doubt they will make it 360 like in their bigger drones. Scariest scenario for me is to hit a tree branch or something while going up, but that's just me.

3. O3 with improved signal stability. Interesting, but I found that more often than not, I'm limited by signal range than by battery. Especially when there's a lot of interference around. I remember I was flying just 200ft up and I got weak yellow signal with 2 bars remaining - this was in clear open sky. Maybe a glitch or something, but we certainly can benefit from O3 or even O3+ like Mavic 3 has.

4. Wind sensors and microphone. I know, I know, this is not easy to do and this is just my personal wish. I know that currently if you put microphone on Mini 2 all you can hear is propellers, but I also know that there are numerous workarounds on the market currently that work just fine (lavalier mics, directional mics etc). Wind sensor would be really useful - and good thing is it can be just extrapolated by software using inputs Mini 2 already has - to account for wind and remain stable. We can just see approximate wind direction and magnitude.

5. Tracking and other different features - that again can be implemented easily today. All the tech is there and available for DJI. Just matter of decision if they want to allow Mini 3 to have it or not.

Ocusync 3, Obstacle Avoidance (Front, rear, up and down) like the Air 2S and a bigger camera sensor. All this in a sub 250g would be perfect.

Regarding 2) and how do you mount such sensors and how much will the mounts themselves weigh?
With regards to 3) if your 200ft was directly above you, how were the controller antennae orientated?
Besides, the drone's antennae are, I think, vertical. If I understand things correctly that means that they are presenting the minimum possible reception area to any incoming signal from the controller. I am not certain if that has any affect, maybe someone can address that? Perhaps more importantly I think it also means that the drone's antennae are radiating most of the out going signal in a horizontal plane and not directed at the controller.
Regarding wind sensors in 4) does the drone not already have such a sensor in the form of the artificial horizon? In a hover it shows the tilt necessary to fight the wind and hold position.
Regarding mic's in 4) if you successfully incorporated a directional mic into a drone how would you aim it and at what?

1- Not impossible, look at Autel Evo Nano.
2- Drone receiver antennas are positioned vertically. The higher signal strength is achieved when transmitter/receiver antennas are in parallel with each other.

Radiation-Plot.jpgmavic-air-25.jpg

All valid points here. Weight limit will be a major obstacle.
However, some things are just firmware, so it is possible to add them without increasing weight.
Sensors - yes they will add weight, but when I was removing heat shield on my Mini 2 (see my other thread) I also weighed downward sensors and they only weigh 0.8g. Adding top, rear and front sensors will only add maybe 3g. Mini 2 has 12g to go till 250g, so room is there.
As for bigger sensor camera - yes, that's a challenge, but there are ways to do it. After all DJI did manage to produce Mini 2 that was an improvement over Mini 1 didn't they? And in a competitive market that's what successful companies do - they continue to improve and come up with better products that sell, because otherwise other brands will take over. So in a sense it's not just my wishes, it's what DJI has to do to remain the leader, especially in a sub 250g market which imho will be a dominating one in next few years, as majority of people realized they can have all they want (well not really) in a much smaller package.

You took the downward looking sensors off the board? I have to ask, how, just curious?
With regards to weight, the downward looking sensors mount, as far as I can see, directly on a circuit board. Front, rear, and sideways looking sensors would require brackets on which to mount them.

Attachments

• DJI-Mavic-Mini-sensor copy.jpg
    DJI-Mavic-Mini-sensor copy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 26
If DJI will release Mini 3, I would really like to see several things that Mini 2 is missing.

1. Better camera. Slightly bigger sensor with better low light capability and a better zoom to go with it. Workable x2 zoom already exists in Mini2, but x4 zoom is noticeably poor. So maybe we can see workable x4 zoom in Mini 3?
The Mini 2-3 is an entry-level drone same as the SE and I don't think DJI will be giving too much for an entry-level drone. Also, a bigger sensor will mean more weight and they do not want to pass the 249G mark because is an issue in other countries and they do not want to lose that market.
2. Obstacle avoidance. Mini 2 is 238g. So it has capability to carry couple more sensors. Now the question is if DJI decides to put them on back and sides or back and top? I doubt they will make it 360 like in their bigger drones. Scariest scenario for me is to hit a tree branch or something while going up, but that's just me.
I agree they should add some sensors at the front and back at least for a $600 range drone.
3. O3 with improved signal stability. Interesting, but I found that more often than not, I'm limited by signal range than by battery. Especially when there's a lot of interference around. I remember I was flying just 200ft up and I got weak yellow signal with 2 bars remaining - this was in clear open sky. Maybe a glitch or something, but we certainly can benefit from O3 or even O3+ like Mavic 3 has.
O3 they can do it easily.
4. Wind sensors and microphone. I know, I know, this is not easy to do and this is just my personal wish. I know that currently if you put microphone on Mini 2 all you can hear is propellers, but I also know that there are numerous workarounds on the market currently that work just fine (lavalier mics, directional mics etc). Wind sensor would be really useful - and good thing is it can be just extrapolated by software using inputs Mini 2 already has - to account for wind and remain stable. We can just see approximate wind direction and magnitude.
mmmmm not for a mini. They do not have that even in the M3. Not see that coming.

5. Tracking and other different features - that again can be implemented easily today. All the tech is there and available for DJI. Just matter of decision if they want to allow Mini 3 to have it or not.
Maybe because Litchi is doing it and Autel with their mini.

The problem of adding all the goodies in a Mini model is that they will not leave a reason to people to buy their next model Air 2S.

Reactions: Gary R
The problem of adding all the goodies in a Mini model is that they will not leave a reason to people to buy their next model Air 2S.
Maybe, but with all the relaxed regulations for sub-250g drones, there are a lot of people who won't buy the Air 2S anyway, but they might be willing to pay a premium price for premium features in a Mini 3. DJI doesn't necessarily need to discontinue the SE and Mini 2 to do that.

It's not optical zoom. It's digital. You're essentially cropping the photo then software buffs up the file size.

Reactions: Dushash
You took the downward looking sensors off the board? I have to ask, how, just curious?
With regards to weight, the downward looking sensors mount, as far as I can see, directly on a circuit board. Front, rear, and sideways looking sensors would require brackets on which to mount them.
Yes, I did it not knowing what I'm doing, when I was doing a lightweight mod for Mini 2. Got weight down to 211g, but later I put back some things. Now it's fully back to stock. To remove the sensors I took off mainboard (after removing heat sink) and then on the back side of mainboard there's a little screw for small heat shield and under it you can find where sensors are attached.

It's not optical zoom. It's digital. You're essentially cropping the photo then software buffs up the file size.
Yes you are right. I meant that x2 zoom on that 12MP tiny 1/2.3 sensor is "workable". All I mean is that it's good enough quality to live with. While x4 deteriorates so bad that it's not workable (at least for me).
So essentially I'm just wishing that we will get same equivalent x4 zoom (35mm equivalent at 24mm, so x4 zoom should be at 96mm right?) in Mini 3 that will be comparable to current x2 zoom.

I confuse many folks including myself lol. Let me simplify. I wish DJI can make a sensor/lens combo that will be workable or good enough for 35mm equivalent at 24mm when x4 digital zoom is applied.

Last edited:
The Mini 2-3 is an entry-level drone same as the SE and I don't think DJI will be giving too much for an entry-level drone. Also, a bigger sensor will mean more weight and they do not want to pass the 249G mark because is an issue in other countries and they do not want to lose that market.
Agree. However, I think sub 249g market is going to explode really soon, including luxury offerings. This is where market is going right now. I bet we'll see some expensive drones, with many costing more than some upper level drones.
I can even make a bet that DJI will have Mini SE (entry-level), Mini 2 (higher end entry-level), Mini 3 (it might not be entry-level anymore depending on features) and maybe even later we'll see something like Mini 3 Pro. Along with that we might start seeing discontinuation of some other non entry level drones because they will be taken over by sub 249g ones. Maybe Mavic 3 got so many issues because focus is shifting in DJI roadmap. We already saw something similar in computers: desktops got pushed out by laptops (which are already pushed out too, but that's another thread). Same thing with mirrorless cameras and DSLRs. Imho we are clearly seeing trend in drones too. Just my opinion. I bet in 3 years it'll be Mini 5 Pro Plus - a $5k drone along with cheaper Air4s and Mavic 5 trailing the sails. Ok, maybe that last prediction is a fantasy but the trend is going there.

I don't se the Mini 2-3 as an entry-level drone, Mini is is a category (sub 250g) that BTW due to new regulations could be the most selling drone category in the near future. The entry level drone in this category is the Mini SE. The only restriction I see for putting all those goodies on it is the weight limit.

Reactions: boldblue737
I don't give a stuff about O3 or obstacle avoidance. Just give me a bigger camera sensor and keep the rest of the drone the same.

Reactions: AndreasT
The one thing they NEED to add is 10 bit LOG or at least a flat/log/d-cinelike profile for color grading.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga