DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Things to know before first flight

hillridge

Reactions
Hi All,

I've been wavering on buying a Mavic, as it's been a month with a few unplanned expenses, but I'm heading to Moab with a bunch of friends in a week, and I feel like it'll be worth it just for the video I'll be able to shoot.

I have experience with quads, and have built a few custom ones from components, as well as flown inexpensive OTS models. I'm familiar with the flight basics and the legal side of things. This will be my first "professional" one, and definitely the most expensive, so I'd like to give myself the best chance of the experience not ending in tears and regret.

We're mainly going to be biking in Moab, with a day of canyoneering thrown in, and I plan to pick up something like this so I can carry it in my backpack: https://www.amazon.com/Philonext-Foldable-Controller-Transmitter-Hardshell/dp/B06XDQJD7C

What do you think are the most valuable things to know/do when starting out?

What are must have extras, and what are just junk? I was planning on a package with a couple extra batteries and props, everything else seemed less useful.

If I buy it today on Amazon, I'll have the weekend to get familiar with it before heading out, plus a couple days in Moab before our the first ride I'd want to bring it on. I mostly want to learn how it all works, so I am ready to go while we're out, and don't have to make folks wait while I fiddle with something.

Advice, o sage Mavic owners?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Here are some items you might find useful:

What are must have extras, and what are just junk?
Check out my must-haves list here.

Thanks, I will do some reading!

Is there a recommended bang-for-buck package on amazon? Preferably sold or fulfilled by Amazon so I don't have to deal with a 3rd party for any issues?

Also, since sand is pretty much inevitable where I'll be flying, what's the best way to minimize issues on takeoff and landing?

Is there a recommended bang-for-buck package on amazon?
The Fly More package is a good deal since it contains a bunch of useful accessories. You can find a list of authorized DJI dealers selling those here. I also have them marked as Amazon Prime.

since sand is pretty much inevitable where I'll be flying, what's the best way to minimize issues on takeoff and landing?
If you cannot launch from a clean area, then a landing pad (like one of these) should keep your Mavic safe. You could also hand launch/catch it like this (if you're careful).

Reactions: dewster
Be careful. Unfortunately, several areas around Moab are NPS land and therefore take off and landing prohibited. Do your homework and make sure of where you are, because a NPS ranger will ruin your day for sure.

Last edited:
What's a good resource for identifying less obvious NPS land? I know to not fly in Arches and Canyonland NP, but are there other areas to be careful of? I was planning on using it at Slickrock, which is part of a recreation area, but so far as I know, not off limits.

Sand Flats Recreation Area, where the Slickrock Bike Trail is located, is BLM land, so it's possible that they have the same rules as the NPS. However, Sand Flats is actually managed (at least partly) by Grand County, so flying there may not be restricted. I can't find anything prohibiting flying there at sandflats.org, so you may be good to go. May want to call ahead.

Also, since sand is pretty much inevitable where I'll be flying, what's the best way to minimize issues on takeoff and landing?

Don't even think about wasting money on landing gear or a landing pad. We just returned from Iceland and launched it from our hand and also landed it on our hand.

The entire time you do this process do not let your eyes off the drone. The controller is secondary. What you do is use the auto takeoff and auto landing where it brings up the swipe screen, get to that screen and hold the Mavic up as high as comfortable and then with your free hand swipe to take off. For landing, same thing. Just use auto land and it will ask you to swipe twice. Keep an eye on the Mavic the entire time.

Thanks, I'll try that out. The Mavic should be arriving today, so of course it's raining.
One accessory I did grab was a set of ND filters for the camera.

I'm also not sure how I just now noticed my subject line typo. Any way to fix that?

Thanks, I'll try that out. The Mavic should be arriving today, so of course it's raining.
One accessory I did grab was a set of ND filters for the camera.

I'm also not sure how I just now noticed my subject line typo. Any way to fix that?

ND filters were the major accessory I got aside from the case.

I got Neewer ND 4, 8, 16, and 32 from Amazon for $29. Super worth it. I find that either sets are really expensive or they don't include the ND32 which is the most useful one considering you use ND filters when it is super bright outside and ND32 blocks the most for you. Cheers

What's a good resource for identifying less obvious NPS land? I know to not fly in Arches and Canyonland NP, but are there other areas to be careful of? I was planning on using it at Slickrock, which is part of a recreation area, but so far as I know, not off limits.
Google maps is pretty good about showing the boundaries, and AirMap.io shows prohibited lands in red.

Keep in mind that only NPS administered lands are off limits, not National Forests, so I think you are OK except in those two parks you mentioned. Not sure about the Recreation area.

Wasn't trying to alarm you either, just a heads up. I personally feel that this entire NPS thing is ridiculous, but that conversation is better left for another thread.

So be considerate and use common sense and fly everywhere it is legal,

Good luck and enjoy getting to know your Mavic and your trip!

Last edited:
You'll find a link to edit the thread title at the top, right of your first post above.

Hi All,

I've been wavering on buying a Mavic, as it's been a month with a few unplanned expenses, but I'm heading to Moab with a bunch of friends in a week, and I feel like it'll be worth it just for the video I'll be able to shoot.

I have experience with quads, and have built a few custom ones from components, as well as flown inexpensive OTS models. I'm familiar with the flight basics and the legal side of things. This will be my first "professional" one, and definitely the most expensive, so I'd like to give myself the best chance of the experience not ending in tears and regret.

We're mainly going to be biking in Moab, with a day of canyoneering thrown in, and I plan to pick up something like this so I can carry it in my backpack: https://www.amazon.com/Philonext-Foldable-Controller-Transmitter-Hardshell/dp/B06XDQJD7C

What are must have extras, and what are just junk? I was planning on a package with a couple extra batteries and props, everything else seemed less useful.

If I buy it today on Amazon, I'll have the weekend to get familiar with it before heading out, plus a couple days in Moab before our the first ride I'd want to bring it on. I mostly want to learn how it all works, so I am ready to go while we're out, and don't have to make folks wait while I fiddle with something.

Advice, o sage Mavic owners?

The most valuable thing you can buy is Personal Property Insurance for your drone - State Farm Offers it for around $60-$80 p/year depending where you live.

Reactions: radman
As for launching and landing from your hand, I would recommend NOT using the auto-land feature, but rather just bring the drone in close to you, reach up and grab it from underneath and at the same time hold down on the left stick. It will throttle up for a second if your hand blocks the downward sensors but then it turns off, and this way you don't have to fumble with the auto-land swipe while trying to get your hand in the right place.

-Joe

Reactions: Cutitout
Flown many times in Moab and I'll be heading down there on 9/21 for a few days. Call the airport in Moab and let the person know when and where you will be flying. I forget his name but I've spoken to him a few times and he's a really nice person. He can let you know of any things to watch for in the area, such as hot air balloons, air traffic patterns, etc. Canyonlands is close to Moab but it's still far enough away that you should not have an issue. If you go west of the Colorado River you will most likely be in Bear Ears National Monument. I've not seen any drone limitations in that area but it is still new. Personally, I don't worry about flying in Bears Ears as I've never found any restriction listed.

I recommend buying leg extensions which will allow you to take off and land on the ground. Without them, this can be a pain.

I'll look into extensions. I have a few days before we leave, so I'll see how I like it without them. We'll be down there right around the same time.

The Mavic arrived today, and I've been setting things up. It says that a firmware update is available, and it looks like I'm currently on 01.03.0400, it wants to go to 01.03.1000

The message about how my altitude and distance will be limited if I don't first connect and log into a DJI app makes me not want to update. If I'm in an area with no cell or wifi service will I even be able to log in? Does the update do anything I actually want, or am I fine staying on 0400?

The most valuable thing you can buy is Personal Property Insurance for your drone - State Farm Offers it for around $60-$80 p/year depending where you live.

Does this insure the drone itself, or everything I may crash it into?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54