DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about selling/trading my Air 2s for Mavic 2 Pro

Macabre

Reactions
That fixed aperture on Air 2s really kills me.
If the weather was always sunny or cloudy it would be no problem, but in Sweden the weather is very unpredictable. It means I have to either get the drone back and change the filter (which doesn't help if the weather changes again, lol) or crank up the shutter speed which in my opinion ruins the cinematic look.
Aside from losing fps and higher resolution, what else other differences can I expect?
I use the drone for semi-professional videography.

Not knowledgeable on the Air2S, but you will get HLG with the M2P. I shoot exclusively in HLG, using both HQ and Full FOV, and I love it. I always apply a polarizing Freewell filter to get a good fps range on the variable aperture. Sometimes I will increase the the contrast a little bit in post. But most of the time when the lightning is good, the video looks great right out of the camera.

For my post, I'm using FCPX with a Wide Gamut setting to process the HLG directly. YouTube handles the HLG very well and renders an HDR 4k on playback depending on the viewing device. Both my iMac Pro and Samsung TV can properly play the HDR video.

Last edited:
If you really want a Mavic 2 Pro, which probably is not found new anymore, you'd be trading/buying a discontinued model with limited support. If you can find a MA2 Pro used for a reasonable price, I'd suggest keeping your Air 2s, you may find the grass is not always greener on the other side..

Reactions: Mikesx and FLDave
We're flying M2P daily for Commercial work and it's one heck of a stout work horse. The bonus is many people jumped on the M3 bandwagon and you can usually find the M2P at very good prices if you look around for a few days.

IMHO the Air2S is the best bang for your buck if you shoot everything in AUTO mode but if you want the best bang for the buck in a high end camera system the M2P can't be beat.

I did this. Returned A2s with RC Pro and bought mint used Mavic 2 Zoom AND Mavic 2 Pro in lieu of Mavic 3. The whole combo cost LESS than Mavic 3 (yep I got both M2P and M2Z from two different sellers) and its all I need. Its all new to me although Ive flown homefuilts for years, but test flights with local sellers went well. There are lots for sale locally on FB and CL here. Good to buy face to face and with a test flight!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78