DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of buying the Classic 3

DanJ

Reactions
I currently have an Air 2S which I am very happy with. It came with the RC Pro controller.
Is it possible to alternately use the same controller on the Air 2S and the Classic?

If the RC Pro doesn't support the M3 Classic yet, I'm sure it will in the near future. Googling I couldn't find anything definitive.

Reactions: DanJ
Yes, the RC Pro supports both, and the Mini 3 Pro. It will do a firmware update each time you change drones, but after the first time, it's not really an update. It's just a switchover from one set of commands to the other.
Thank you so much!

If you have an Air2s, I'm curious as to why you would consider the Mavic 3 Classic? What do you percieve as it's practical advantages over the Air2s that would cause you to invest that much to "upgrade", at least at this time?

It's too bad that so much of DJI accessories are not cross compatible with so many of their models, both present and past. Even when they are there is always a question of "will it work with my drone"? You often have to hunt hard to find out if controllers, etc will work with your drones. I don't know what DJI is thinking when they design and market this stuff. Ironically, DJI bought Victor Hasselblad who was notorious for having almost lifetime cross compatibility with their cameras, lenses and accessories [Victor also notorious for being left handed :) ].

If you have an Air2s, I'm curious as to why you would consider the Mavic 3 Classic? What do you percieve as it's practical advantages over the Air2s that would cause you to invest that much to "upgrade", at least at this time?

It's too bad that so much of DJI accessories are not cross compatible with so many of their models, both present and past. Even when they are there is always a question of "will it work with my drone"? You often have to hunt hard to find out if controllers, etc will work with your drones. I don't know what DJI is thinking when they design and market this stuff. Ironically, DJI bought Victor Hasselblad who was notorious for having almost lifetime cross compatibility with their cameras, lenses and accessories [Victor also notorious for being left handed :) ].
Dynamic range. Variable aperture.
I am a retired professional photographer. I took photos forty years ago when digital was but a dream.
The two features that I look forward to might not be important to many but they are to me.

I am a retired professional photographer. I took photos forty years ago when digital was but a dream.
The two features that I look forward to might not be important to many but they are to me.
just so you know, a refurbished-by-DJI Mavic 3 is available at DJI for only 40 dollars more than a new M3 Classic. You'd get that 7X zoom and lockable gimbal for $1639

Buy DJI Mavic 3 (Refurbished Unit) - DJI Store

Granted, DR is slighty better as is NR with the 4/3 sensor.

However, coming from the M2P (and not having any M3 but variable aperture), I can tell you, the aperture is not that big thing like in traditional photography. Why, the lenses are pretty tiny and your subjects most likely far away so that anything from 1 m+ is always at focused at infinity (at least if you don't use it like Philip Bloom for closeup or even handheld shots 😆).

Yes, of course, with variable aperture you can reduce or increase the light coming to the sensor (and sometimes spare a ND filter), but diffraction is going to set up pretty fast (with the M2P anything beyond f4 was noticable already, so only f2.8 and f4 as full stops really to go).

So I would say, DR and NR are the real selling points with the M3 ... but a blind test with other drones like the Air 2S or even the Mini 3 Pro showed, that it's not dramatically different. More in extrem situations like dawn or dusk but not proportionally better with the larger sensor unfortunately.

Certainly, the M3 is a fine bird, despite the model if Cine, Classic or the plain one with the best image quality DJI offers today (regarding foldable drones).

Image quality should be noticeably improved with a 4/3 sensor. A photographer will real appreciate the quality improvement. The large pixels not only improve noise issues but because they capture more light, there will be a noticeable improvement in quality. I can easily see the difference between my I1P and M2p. Image quality (colour, clarity, sharpness) should be better with the M3 not to mention great expectations for the Hassalblad VIVID algorithm Right out of the camera.

• Love
FYI, I'm getting some pretty buggy footage in d-log right now with mine. In the process of diagnosing it. Will be calling DJI today and hopefully get more information. Will update this thread if I can find it again.

have u tried grading in different SW like FCP or any other SW. is the weirdness there when you play the ungraded clip. Much as I like Davinci Resolve, it is complicated, I sometimes gloss over the setup resulting in odd things.
does the issue go away if u turnoff dlog.

have u tried grading in different SW like FCP or any other SW. is the weirdness there when you play the ungraded clip. Much as I like Davinci Resolve, it is complicated, I sometimes gloss over the setup resulting in odd things.
does the issue go away if u turnoff dlog.
I am going to try Premiere Pro over the weekend and see if it handles the file any differently. That's the only other nle I have.

Reactions: bonzo
Image quality should be noticeably improved with a 4/3 sensor. A photographer will real appreciate the quality improvement. The large pixels not only improve noise issues but because they capture more light, there will be a noticeable improvement in quality. I can easily see the difference between my I1P and M2p. Image quality (colour, clarity, sharpness) should be better with the M3 not to mention great expectations for the Hassalblad VIVID algorithm Right out of the camera.
That was what I was hoping to hear.

Also as a retired professional photog variable aperture is important to me too. That too is my #1 criitera for my next drone.

@moldorf noted above the Mavic 3 is availble as a refurb now. THAT is the way to go, for sure. $1650, with RCN1 controller. I have a refurb Mavic 2 pro and there is/was nothing about it that even hinted that it had been refurburbished at any time. It carries the same warranty as a "new" never-been-owned DJI drone. Though it should be pointed out that the price difference depends the "bundle" that DJI provides.

I was thinking M3 Classic, "drone only" at $1469... but they mean DRONE ONLY. No controller, but NO BATTERY either!!!! So to get the battery you have to add $200 to that price. So you can't escape purchasing a controller, The $1600 bundle includes the RCN1 and a battery, a charger and a couple cables.

So Moldorf was right. A refurbished M3 IS only $40 more than the Classic. That's what I'd be doing iif I were buying a new drone today... I don't NEED another drone, but it is enticing. If I can get a refurb from B&H I might just bite.

I hate the way DJI bundles stuff and how they sell stuff ala carte. It reminds me how American cars used to be bundled (and caused me to buy my very first non-American car).

Edit... ONE MORE THING!!!
Not sure if you're in the US, but I love to buy my drone (and other) stuff at B&H in NYC. They have this thing called the Payboo card. If you use the card to purchase your gear, they discount the tax, which is 10%-10.25% here. On a $1600 purchase that saves me $160. DJI or other retailers, including Amazon will charge me the full tax. I always pay the card THE NEXT DAY after receiving the goods and decide to keep the stuff to avoid any interest charges. Works quite well and can save a lot of money.

1668183842815.png

1668184009124.png

Last edited:
BUT WAIT A MINUTE....!!!!

The top image below shows B&H's bundle including a battery and more props than the DJI image below!!!

If this is the case then I should surely go with the B&H deal, because I have two compatible controllers and all I would need is an extra battery! The Classic with an extra battery would cost me $1678 OUT THE DOOR shipped free, no tax!!!

Were I to buy the M3 Refurb plus a battery, where I would pay tax the bottom line out-the-door price would be $2020. So now the difference, for me between the M3 refurb and the Classic would be $350. Tax and packaging changes the game, if in fact B&H are selling eh Classiic with no remote WITH the battery as illustrated.

1668184792013.png

1668184843193.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic