DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of purchasing

William Ball

Reactions
Hello,

Experienced pilot here from Western NY. I have owned previous DJI quads. P3A, Flamewheel 450. And I fly freestyle FPV with X frame 250 quads.I am thinking of the Mavic pro and a possible purchase here in March.
My question is on the device used in conjunction with the controller. Mine would be the Samsung Galaxy S5. Will this be OK to use as a device, or is it too outdated? too slow a processor? I used an Ipad air2 with the P3A I had, and loved it. However I cant see a way to make that work with the mavic controller. Thanks for any advise you can provide. I just love the features and style of the mavic.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR QUICK START GUIDE: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/Mavic Air Quick Start Guide v1.0 .pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

I had no problems with the Galaxy S5. It may be older, but I had zero lag with it. The screen's brightness is lacking, but that's the main downside I can think of.

I flew with the Samsung Galaxy S5 exclusively when I first got the Mavic in January 2017. It worked "okay", but it did lock up a lot or go black-screen, and I'd have to restart the app and/or reconnect and disconnect the phone from the RC often. I wouldn't suggest it. I upgraded to the iPad Mini4 as quickly as possible and it made a world of difference - still use it today. Keep in mind, that was a year ago, and the GO app continues to grow much larger and more resource-intensive, so it probably runs even slower today.

The Galaxy S8 has been out for a while now. If you're considering an S5, then keep in mind you're talking about using a piece of hardware that's almost 4 generations old to control a $1000 drone. I wouldn't recommend it. It would be a slow pain in the *** at the very minimum.

Get a refurbed Ipad Mini 4 for < $200 and avoid the headaches and enjoy the larger screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Experienced pilot here from Western NY. I have owned previous DJI quads. P3A, Flamewheel 450. And I fly freestyle FPV with X frame 250 quads.I am thinking of the Mavic pro and a possible purchase here in March.
My question is on the device used in conjunction with the controller. Mine would be the Samsung Galaxy S5. Will this be OK to use as a device, or is it too outdated? too slow a processor? I used an Ipad air2 with the P3A I had, and loved it. However I cant see a way to make that work with the mavic controller. Thanks for any advise you can provide. I just love the features and style of the mavic.
Howdy from Wyoming @William Ball , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I use a Galaxy S5 about 75% of my flights with no issues at all. When I want a larger screen I use a Galaxy Tab 8.4 with a tablet mount on the controller, also with no issues. Both are dated devices and work great for me.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw