DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Third time flying outside

KB4MTO

Reactions
I was able to get in over an hour flying yesterday. I am getting more comfortable with the sticks. I do well heading away, and pretty good coming back. It's the east/west directions that I'm weakest with, but I am getting better.

Yesterday I practiced general flying, landing, and started practicing with the quick shots. I started with the Dronie quick shot. I still have the prop guards on, so I had to disable payload mode to get the distance. I am really enjoying this drone:

I was also working on smoother flying and smoother landings. It was breezy yesterday, so it was a good day to practice. The first 2 videos are just landings and the third is an approach and landing from farther out:

I am really having fun with my MM. I'm looking forward to starting to shoot video from more scenic places than a sandy field ;)

Congrats! I'm a newbie too. While I'm still learning, I would suggest removing the props guards if you're flying in any kind of wind as they can really catch the wind and possibly carry your MM off if you're not careful.

Good job so much fun. I higher suggest the catch and release very simple and safe flytpath on youtube has a video showing. The basic thing don't get cocky treat each time like the first.
So much fun with the mini compared to the bigger ones.

Reactions: KB4MTO
Congrats! I'm a newbie too. While I'm still learning, I would suggest removing the props guards if you're flying in any kind of wind as they can really catch the wind and possibly carry your MM off if you're not careful.

I wondered about that. I was out there flying with another guy who is an experienced drone pilot. He just got the MM and it was his first day with it. I could see the difference in how mine reacted in the wind with the guards compared to his without. I'm getting more comfortable with the sticks and I'm flying in an open field, so I will probably fly without them the next time I fly.

At one point I did take them off. But then the wind really picked up and it appeared at about 375' away the drone stopped responding. I turned it around 180 degrees and it flew back under control. So I put the guards back on just in case.

I realized later that the MM was flying into the headwind and that might have been the wind causing it to stop moving forward.

with the prop guards on,the mini will be in payload mode regardless of whether you have it activated or not, and will mean that you have a restricted flight envelope with regards to height ,speed ,and distance

I realized later that the MM was flying into the headwind and that might have been the wind causing it to stop moving forward.

Always check wind speed before flight using the UAV app. Due to its weight, the MM can easily get blown away by wind. Since you are flying outdoors in an open area it would be best if you removed the prop guards.

I was able to get in over an hour flying yesterday. I am getting more comfortable with the sticks. I do well heading away, and pretty good coming back. It's the east/west directions that I'm weakest with, but I am getting better.

Yesterday I practiced general flying, landing, and started practicing with the quick shots. I started with the Dronie quick shot. I still have the prop guards on, so I had to disable payload mode to get the distance. I am really enjoying this drone:

I was also working on smoother flying and smoother landings. It was breezy yesterday, so it was a good day to practice. The first 2 videos are just landings and the third is an approach and landing from farther out:

I am really having fun with my MM. I'm looking forward to starting to shoot video from more scenic places than a sandy field ;)
Well done my friend. I am in the exact same situation as yourself. I'm a newbie and also with a MM for my 1st drone and I have only had mine out 3 times too. We live in Canada and the weather has been hit and miss so far this season (with more misses than hits). Enjoy!

Ya.. I've just seen a water tower in the background of your video ! Could be a nice subject to explore.

Ya.. I've just seen a water tower in the background of your video ! Could be a nice subject to explore.

Very true, thanks for the suggestion!

with the prop guards on,the mini will be in payload mode regardless of whether you have it activated or not, and will mean that you have a restricted flight envelope with regards to height ,speed ,and distance

I didn't realize that, thanks!

Reactions: old man mavic
Always check wind speed before flight using the UAV app. Due to its weight, the MM can easily get blown away by wind. Since you are flying outdoors in an open area it would be best if you removed the prop guards.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually do check the wind speed. One of the buildings next to the field builds commercial drones. They have a weather station and I check before flying. Here in Central Florida, the wind is always unpredictable. It can be a mild 0 - 5 mph for a while and then jump to 20+. On Friday it was mild for an hour and the jumped up. That was my last flight.

Quite a few on here recommended I leave the guards off while in the field. It is open and doesn't have any obstructions inside. So the next time I get out to fly I am going to fly with the guards off.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Xanadu
Well done my friend. I am in the exact same situation as yourself. I'm a newbie and also with a MM for my 1st drone and I have only had mine out 3 times too. We live in Canada and the weather has been hit and miss so far this season (with more misses than hits). Enjoy!

Thanks, you too :)

Wonderful behavior. My congratulations, keep it up and you will be a GREAT PILOT. Let me give you this guide, it will come in handy for your initiation. Of course, everyone is free to have it if they wish. Greetings from Spain to all.
eBook - Zero to Hero .pdf

Wonderful behavior. My congratulations, keep it up and you will be a GREAT PILOT. Let me give you this guide, it will come in handy for your initiation. Of course, everyone is free to have it if they wish. Greetings from Spain to all.
eBook - Zero to Hero .pdf

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Reactions: JM.REYES
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61