DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is why I decided NOT to get a drone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, Oh look another self important snowflake, stick with your Pokémon trading cards kid.

I’m selling my car and not getting another one. I just found out there are a bunch of regulations, licenses, taxes. This is bs. I got a ticket for going too fast. WTH?
Drivers beware. Everyone on a driving forum just laughed when I tried to tell them.

I’m not allowed to drive on the grass in a bunch of places. The amount of spaces I’m allowed to drive is really small.

Drivers beware.

But I fly my drone a lot and have a blast!

In all seriousness, if you decide not to get a drone, that’s up to you. It just seems like an odd place to become a member to tell people this.
I think it’s pretty likely that most people here already have a drone, or are seriously thinking about getting a $1000 one, and already understand at least some of the challenges/limitations with drone ownership.
I’m guessing this is typically not the first stop when someone starts thinking about a drone purchase

I'm not buying a Ferrari because there are no places near where I live that I can operate it to its full potential. So I think I will go to all of the high end auto forums and tell everyone why owning a Ferrari is a really bad idea.

Seems to make about as much sense as the OP's position.

I live near (according to DJI) a small airport and there are lots of other "restrictions" on where I can fly. That takes away about .000001% of the enjoyment of owning a Mavic.

Interesting replies. Getting something I wont use much is not the way to proceed. I have done this many times in my life and am not a little more mature in that I can think through things and not 'impulse buy'. I think many see the drone ad's on TV / Internet and think, as I did, "how great, I can go shoot video like I see on the ad's and have a great time" - but this is not the case. Yep, if you happen to find some isolated place to fly that's really neat, that is great, but in most cases you will drive for hours to find a place like that. That is not my goal. I don't want to fly at my local school or soccer field only during times when there is no one around. That makes no sense to me. I flew in front of my house a few times, going up 50-75 feet, looking around. That was neat, but after 3-4-5 times, that get's old. And I'm sure neighbors would complain at some point. I headed to the local 'open space' and flew there for a bit, but again, same terrain and scenery after a few times. Look, I'm not putting down this sport as I have a similar hobby, but let's try to prevent the impulse buy and help others understand the limitations of the sport. Heck, it will only help educate them and should they get into drone flying, they are aware of the limitations up front. I find it very misleading seeing the commercials and YouTube videos, with all these great beach shots, up on a cliff overlooking some fantastic scenery, riding a bike in 'follow me' mode down a path - and of course no overhead trees or obstacles to run in to. It's not a realistic environment for the average person. I walk 3 miles a day with my wife. I thought, "how cool to have the drone follow me" along the path. Then realized, I cross busy streets, there are trees all along the path preventing the 'follow me' mode - at least making it difficult for the drone to lock on to me. Then I thought, perhaps just put the drone in my pocket (Spark) and take it out when I get in a open space - but that's only for a few hundred yards. I'm searching for a reason to get a drone. The best application I see; use it for fishing in the high country. Connect the fishing line to the drone, fly the drone out 200-300 yards over the lake and release the fishing line. Fly the drone back and fish the 2-300 years - bound to catch something. This is cool, but not worth $800 for Mavic, and not worth $200 for the Breeze (I had one, and liked it, but flight time was only 5-6-7 minutes at altitude in CO).

So, yes, I'm trying to make people aware of the pitfalls of the drone hobby. I think many will realize it too late and then sell the drone after only a few flights. Look at all the drones for sale - they are for sale for some reason. But good for those that want to buy, they can get a good deal.

I understand this is not a popular position but I do think it's a realistic viewpoint. I just hope others don't impulse buy - as I almost did (buying the Mavic) - but the two I have flown, were neat as I have mentioned.

I'm sure I'll hear more about this viewpoint, and that's OK. I do hope your enjoy your flying and hope it's everything you thought it would be; but ;lets not tell everyone to go out and get a drone - it's a mistake for many.

A final note here: comments like, "grab your balls buy a mavic get out there and fly" - really? What, I should be a "man" and take foolish purchases no matter what the cost? Come one, grow up. Perhaps a comment like, "do you research and make an informed decision, you will be happier in the long run" is a more reasonable approach. Your call!
Perhaps a comment like, "do you research and make an informed decision, you will be happier in the long run" is a more reasonable approach. Your call!

And by practicing what you preach you would have known that you are not allowed to take off, land or fly over a wildlife management area. This is not posted in New Jersey either. With a bit of RESEARCH you can find it online at the Division of state parks web site.

I live in Aurora, Colorado and I fly my Mavic every weekend with no issues. I love flying and I always fly safely. The beauty of living in Colorado and having a 4K drone is the open areas in the mountains. There are thousands of trails all throughout the mountains with no restrictions for miles just have to get out There and find them.
By the way I fly a Mavic Pro and a Typhoon H and I love them both.

Reactions: javelina
giphy.gif

I said Good Day Sir!

Hi, TrayBoz,
Fuggetaboudit! He's just here to whine.

I love your Jim Carrey clip. Could you direct me to a site where i can learn how to add clips like that in my posts? I'd like to pull some stuff from Modern Family or The Goldbergs!

I got a speeding ticket a month ago... time to get rid of the car.

I got a speeding ticket a month ago... time to get rid of the car.
Apologies for my trite, sarcastic remark. I fully understand the OP's reasoning. But I have found in almost anything I do, from flying a drone, to driving a car, to having a party, to burning leaves, etc., if ya let folks and the authorities know what you're doing and when you're doing it, all is good.

Reactions: colinfowler
Dont
Apologies for my trite, sarcastic remark. I fully understand the OP's reasoning. But I have found in almost anything I do, from flying a drone, to driving a car, to having a party, to burning leaves, etc., if ya let folks and the authorities know what you're doing and when you're doing it, all is good.

Don't sell yourself short. If your apologizing for posting your feelings all good. But your gut instinct is correct.
Reason and logic are not something that everyone has, many are highly influenced emotion and it drives their lives, It's often hard to watch but all around us everyday.
I am continually shocked at the conclusions some people draw from situations, I understand we are all flawed and need to be made fun of because because if we can't laugh about our limited intellect who else will?
common sense, not so common.

Reactions: colinfowler
Interesting replies. Getting something I wont use much is not the way to proceed. I have done this many times in my life and am not a little more mature in that I can think through things and not 'impulse buy'. I think many see the drone ad's on TV / Internet and think, as I did, "how great, I can go shoot video like I see on the ad's and have a great time" - but this is not the case. Yep, if you happen to find some isolated place to fly that's really neat, that is great, but in most cases you will drive for hours to find a place like that. That is not my goal. I don't want to fly at my local school or soccer field only during times when there is no one around. That makes no sense to me. I flew in front of my house a few times, going up 50-75 feet, looking around. That was neat, but after 3-4-5 times, that get's old. And I'm sure neighbors would complain at some point. I headed to the local 'open space' and flew there for a bit, but again, same terrain and scenery after a few times. Look, I'm not putting down this sport as I have a similar hobby, but let's try to prevent the impulse buy and help others understand the limitations of the sport. Heck, it will only help educate them and should they get into drone flying, they are aware of the limitations up front. I find it very misleading seeing the commercials and YouTube videos, with all these great beach shots, up on a cliff overlooking some fantastic scenery, riding a bike in 'follow me' mode down a path - and of course no overhead trees or obstacles to run in to. It's not a realistic environment for the average person. I walk 3 miles a day with my wife. I thought, "how cool to have the drone follow me" along the path. Then realized, I cross busy streets, there are trees all along the path preventing the 'follow me' mode - at least making it difficult for the drone to lock on to me. Then I thought, perhaps just put the drone in my pocket (Spark) and take it out when I get in a open space - but that's only for a few hundred yards. I'm searching for a reason to get a drone. The best application I see; use it for fishing in the high country. Connect the fishing line to the drone, fly the drone out 200-300 yards over the lake and release the fishing line. Fly the drone back and fish the 2-300 years - bound to catch something. This is cool, but not worth $800 for Mavic, and not worth $200 for the Breeze (I had one, and liked it, but flight time was only 5-6-7 minutes at altitude in CO).

So, yes, I'm trying to make people aware of the pitfalls of the drone hobby. I think many will realize it too late and then sell the drone after only a few flights. Look at all the drones for sale - they are for sale for some reason. But good for those that want to buy, they can get a good deal.

I understand this is not a popular position but I do think it's a realistic viewpoint. I just hope others don't impulse buy - as I almost did (buying the Mavic) - but the two I have flown, were neat as I have mentioned.

I'm sure I'll hear more about this viewpoint, and that's OK. I do hope your enjoy your flying and hope it's everything you thought it would be; but ;lets not tell everyone to go out and get a drone - it's a mistake for many.

A final note here: comments like, "grab your balls buy a mavic get out there and fly" - really? What, I should be a "man" and take foolish purchases no matter what the cost? Come one, grow up. Perhaps a comment like, "do you research and make an informed decision, you will be happier in the long run" is a more reasonable approach. Your call!

thank you for schooling us on why you dont want a drone but most here can decide whats best for them,,however your expectations are not the same as most.
personally i think walking 3 miles a day is a waste of energy that can best be used in better ways like playing with your children,washing the cars,helping elderly in need
so will you stops your 3 mile walks?
i think not.

In all seriousness, if you decide not to get a drone, that’s up to you. It just seems like an odd place to become a member to tell people this.
I think it’s pretty likely that most people here already have a drone, or are seriously thinking about getting a $1000 one, and already understand at least some of the challenges/limitations with drone ownership.
I’m guessing this is typically not the first stop when someone starts thinking about a drone purchase
maybe he is upset because he couldnt get the hang of flying:)

I live in Aurora, Colorado and I fly my Mavic every weekend with no issues. I love flying and I always fly safely. The beauty of living in Colorado and having a 4K drone is the open areas in the mountains. There are thousands of trails all throughout the mountains with no restrictions for miles just have to get out There and find them.
By the way I fly a Mavic Pro and a Typhoon H and I love them both.

would love to see pics. When I was in Jr. High, I lived in the Springs... My parents had a studio in Durango for a while too. Love Colorado.

Reactions: kathompson
I thought hard about getting a drone, actually got one for Christmas from my kids. Took it back, got another, then looked into flying areas - and found so limited. It’s too bad as I really wanted to play with a drone for a while, but took second drone back too. The lack of actual places to fly and short flight times discouraged me. It’s not going to get any better. Buyer beware!

This poor guy got a $230 ticket for flying his drone. What a shame.

There are lots of places to fly. Just follow the rules. There are rules for the common good. That is what it means to have a society. Sorry for the $250 ticket but I got one from the Forest Service last year for $150 for fishing in a part of a stream in Alaska that was off-limits AT THE TIME for fishing due to low rivers. Now how was I to know that? That's life. Suck it up and move on.

There are lots of places to fly. Just follow the rules. There are rules for the common good. That is what it means to have a society. Sorry for the $250 ticket but I got one from the Forest Service last year for $150 for fishing in a part of a stream in Alaska that was off-limits AT THE TIME for fishing due to low rivers. Now how was I to know that? That's life. Suck it up and move on.

Yes, I have had some weird tickets too (not drone related) When I ask how was I supposed to know that? The official just said "ignorance of the law is no excuse" They must teach that line in law enforcement schools.

Reactions: ScubaBob
The OP is gone... he's a troll (look at his posts elsewhere). Time to kill this one off, eh @dirkclod ?
Well sorry guys I haven't been on as much as I have needed to be and some of these threads should have been stoped way back and trying to get to them all . This is one of them and as of now I really see no other use for it other than for some to just see how many post they can get in .
That being said this is...
CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard