DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is why I decided NOT to get a drone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado_scott

Reactions
I thought hard about getting a drone, actually got one for Christmas from my kids. Took it back, got another, then looked into flying areas - and found so limited. It’s too bad as I really wanted to play with a drone for a while, but took second drone back too. The lack of actual places to fly and short flight times discouraged me. It’s not going to get any better. Buyer beware!

This poor guy got a $230 ticket for flying his drone. What a shame.

Reactions: Edward P
I thought hard about getting a drone, actually got one for Christmas from my kids. Took it back, got another, then looked into flying areas - and found so limited. It’s too bad as I really wanted to play with a drone for a while, but took second drone back too. The lack of actual places to fly and short flight times discouraged me. It’s not going to get any better. Buyer beware!

AWWW come on while i don't get to fly over pristine beautiful landscapes , i always wanted to FLY, so now i do, YAY! LOVE MY MAVIC! 9months now, no crashes just 1st world problems

Reactions: Prop_Nut

This begs the question though, if you don't have a drone, and are an advocate for not getting one, why are you here?

This video has been floating around for a while...I believe he actual has 2 or 3 others where he "presses" the limits with aurthorities

OP that looks like an RC plane in your avatar. (nice f3a by the way) If so, where do you fly it? I find RC flying fields more scarce than drone areas. A drone you can fly anywhere outside an NFZ.

I might add that anyone who has owned and flown an F3A pattern plane would be a shoe-in for a drone. You know how to fly, you just have to find some nice areas to shoot. You cant keep your F3A in your trunk, but you can keep a Mavic in your glove compartment.

Last edited:
Not an advocate of not getting a drone, I just know if I got one I’d be the one with the $230 ticket. With the limited time I spent with drones I think they are very cool and the Mavic is clearly one of the best around. Yep, I fly RC planes and most cities in the US have locations to fly without being hassled as the AMA supports all sites. Members have $1M insurance in case a plane - Helicopter hit something. I fly in Arvada almost daily or in Longmont or Boulder. The plane is called a MythoS 50, uses a 6S battery with 70A ESC. Runs right at 1200W but the idea for this plane is not speed, it’s prevision with constant air speed.

I’d love to get a drone but know I’d get in trouble. My first thoughts were to head to Estes and take cool footage, then to Chatiaqua , but quickly found the current rules and both are a no-no. Then found NFZ’s and all the places I’d like to fly and take video I couldn’t. I am still very disappointed in this. I think the rules are crazy but understand the issues reported in TV and bothering so many people and privacy issues. I still may get one to play with but understand the flying limits imposed. Unsure what I’d use it for is the problem I have. I’ve been doing video editing for tens of years and understand the process is time consuming- another issue as I’d want to take neat video and edit for best results. Then show it to who? Family? Friends? They look at once and that’s it. I would like to take a drone kayaking but need longer flight times and the RTH is on the kayak, not dry land. Another challenge.

We should ALL educate potential buyers of the shortcomings of the drone sport. It’s not going to get better. Then let the buyer decide if it’s what he wants to do. I’m going to keep hoping I find a neat application for my uses and get one someday. For now, I’m heading to Arvada for some flying. Have fun.

Reactions: Gavinwr27
Not an advocate of not getting a drone, I just know if I got one I’d be the one with the $230 ticket. With the limited time I spent with drones I think they are very cool and the Mavic is clearly one of the best around. Yep, I fly RC planes and most cities in the US have locations to fly without being hassled as the AMA supports all sites. Members have $1M insurance in case a plane - Helicopter hit something. I fly in Arvada almost daily or in Longmont or Boulder. The plane is called a MythoS 50, uses a 6S battery with 70A ESC. Runs right at 1200W but the idea for this plane is not speed, it’s prevision with constant air speed.

I’d love to get a drone but know I’d get in trouble. My first thoughts were to head to Estes and take cool footage, then to Chatiaqua , but quickly found the current rules and both are a no-no. Then found NFZ’s and all the places I’d like to fly and take video I couldn’t. I am still very disappointed in this. I think the rules are crazy but understand the issues reported in TV and bothering so many people and privacy issues. I still may get one to play with but understand the flying limits imposed. Unsure what I’d use it for is the problem I have. I’ve been doing video editing for tens of years and understand the process is time consuming- another issue as I’d want to take neat video and edit for best results. Then show it to who? Family? Friends? They look at once and that’s it. I would like to take a drone kayaking but need longer flight times and the RTH is on the kayak, not dry land. Another challenge.

We should ALL educate potential buyers of the shortcomings of the drone sport. It’s not going to get better. Then let the buyer decide if it’s what he wants to do. I’m going to keep hoping I find a neat application for my uses and get one someday. For now, I’m heading to Arvada for some flying. Have fun.
It's a reasoned reply, but are you "spreading the (bad) news" on every drone forum, or is this all just for us special folks?

I suspect that you love how strong this community is, and are looking for a way to participate. I don't think this is the right way.

The right way: get a Mavic. We all already read the news elsewhere.

giphy.gif

@Colorado_scott :

No offense, but exactly what is it you're doing here? You've posted no less than 5 separate messages on this board explaining to everyone that you don't have a drone anymore and why. "The drone industry is dying" "Less and less people are buying drones" "There's going to be nowhere to fly soon", "Beware the future of drones" .... etc.

What is it you're trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to justify to yourself and others why you returned your drone(s)?
Are you trying to convince us mavic owners that there are more places where you can fly RC planes than a drone?
Do you just need a place to vent about No Fly Zones? Are you hoping to convince DJI or the FAA to loosen their restrictions by boycotting the mavic?

We GET it already! You don't have a drone anymore and you don't want one. So please, go fly your RC planes and stop trying to pee on our party. In case you haven't noticed, this is the place where people own mavics and LOVE them. Why don't you just spend your free time at Mile High Stadium explaining to everyone why you don't like football?

Just my 2 cents.
300+ flights and counting

PS: In the past year, I've flown my mavic at dozen's of places all over my city, many other states, and 2 other countries. I've got some really cool vacation videos which I share with friends and family, (and quite frankly that's the only thing about this hobby that my wife loves.) I've never had a problem with a NFZ. I'm not able to fly near airports, that's it. Most of the time I fly just because I just love the act of flying, and I can easily launch the mavic anytime and almost anywhere. I keep it in my car or on my bike for when I pass by a nice park and I get the urge. Please take your pessimism elsewhere. You sound like an old man griping about the "evils of new technology".
I said Good Day Sir!

Interesting replies. Getting something I wont use much is not the way to proceed. I have done this many times in my life and am not a little more mature in that I can think through things and not 'impulse buy'. I think many see the drone ad's on TV / Internet and think, as I did, "how great, I can go shoot video like I see on the ad's and have a great time" - but this is not the case. Yep, if you happen to find some isolated place to fly that's really neat, that is great, but in most cases you will drive for hours to find a place like that. That is not my goal. I don't want to fly at my local school or soccer field only during times when there is no one around. That makes no sense to me. I flew in front of my house a few times, going up 50-75 feet, looking around. That was neat, but after 3-4-5 times, that get's old. And I'm sure neighbors would complain at some point. I headed to the local 'open space' and flew there for a bit, but again, same terrain and scenery after a few times. Look, I'm not putting down this sport as I have a similar hobby, but let's try to prevent the impulse buy and help others understand the limitations of the sport. Heck, it will only help educate them and should they get into drone flying, they are aware of the limitations up front. I find it very misleading seeing the commercials and YouTube videos, with all these great beach shots, up on a cliff overlooking some fantastic scenery, riding a bike in 'follow me' mode down a path - and of course no overhead trees or obstacles to run in to. It's not a realistic environment for the average person. I walk 3 miles a day with my wife. I thought, "how cool to have the drone follow me" along the path. Then realized, I cross busy streets, there are trees all along the path preventing the 'follow me' mode - at least making it difficult for the drone to lock on to me. Then I thought, perhaps just put the drone in my pocket (Spark) and take it out when I get in a open space - but that's only for a few hundred yards. I'm searching for a reason to get a drone. The best application I see; use it for fishing in the high country. Connect the fishing line to the drone, fly the drone out 200-300 yards over the lake and release the fishing line. Fly the drone back and fish the 2-300 years - bound to catch something. This is cool, but not worth $800 for Mavic, and not worth $200 for the Breeze (I had one, and liked it, but flight time was only 5-6-7 minutes at altitude in CO).

So, yes, I'm trying to make people aware of the pitfalls of the drone hobby. I think many will realize it too late and then sell the drone after only a few flights. Look at all the drones for sale - they are for sale for some reason. But good for those that want to buy, they can get a good deal.

I understand this is not a popular position but I do think it's a realistic viewpoint. I just hope others don't impulse buy - as I almost did (buying the Mavic) - but the two I have flown, were neat as I have mentioned.

I'm sure I'll hear more about this viewpoint, and that's OK. I do hope your enjoy your flying and hope it's everything you thought it would be; but ;lets not tell everyone to go out and get a drone - it's a mistake for many.

A final note here: comments like, "grab your balls buy a mavic get out there and fly" - really? What, I should be a "man" and take foolish purchases no matter what the cost? Come one, grow up. Perhaps a comment like, "do you research and make an informed decision, you will be happier in the long run" is a more reasonable approach. Your call!

One word that sums you up Colorado_scott,
PROCRASTINATION!!!

Unsure what I’d use it for is the problem I have. I’ve been doing video editing for tens of years and understand the process is time consuming- another issue as I’d want to take neat video and edit for best results. Then show it to who? Family? Friends? They look at once and that’s it.

Being you don't want to capture scenic video, maybe you should look at cheap racing drones. Pretty much line of site and more similar in flight to model aircraft. At least at the RC aircraft group I hang with, they let us fly drones in a separate area. When I bought my Mavic, I thought of it as I do with a $1500 dollar camera lens...just another tool. But have to admit flying it is really fun not to mention grabbing pics (and Videos) I'd never reach with my standard camera gear. JMO

Reactions: TrayBoz
The lack of actual places to fly and short flight times discouraged me. It’s not going to get any better. Buyer beware!
You live in Colorado. Here's a random screen grab from DJI's GEO flight map. The only places you really con't fly are the little red circles. Looking at the places you mentioned there are some warning zones but only a couple of small NFZs. If you can't find a place to fly in that you aren't trying hard enough:
Untitled.jpg

As far as short flight times, do RC airplanes really fly a lot longer than 25 minutes per flight? Most of the ones I've seen don't.

Those of us who actually own drones and fly them have no problem finding places to fly.

At this point, since you don't own a drone and don't intend to, and you've made your opinion known, I don't see how posting multiple threads filled with inaccurate information makes you anything but a troll.

Thanks for your contribution to the drone group saying you aren't getting a drone.

What's next - post to a nude swimming group about how you were going to learn to swim, but there are too many drownings each year, and too many people getting sunburned?

giphy.gif

@Colorado_scott :

No offense, but exactly what is it you're doing here? You've posted no less than 5 separate messages on this board explaining to everyone that you don't have a drone anymore and why. "The drone industry is dying" "Less and less people are buying drones" "There's going to be nowhere to fly soon", "Beware the future of drones" .... etc.

What is it you're trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to justify to yourself and others why you returned your drone(s)?
Are you trying to convince us mavic owners that there are more places where you can fly RC planes than a drone?
Do you just need a place to vent about No Fly Zones? Are you hoping to convince DJI or the FAA to loosen their restrictions by boycotting the mavic?

We GET it already! You don't have a drone anymore and you don't want one. So please, go fly your RC planes and stop trying to pee on our party. In case you haven't noticed, this is the place where people own mavics and LOVE them. Why don't you just spend your free time at Mile High Stadium explaining to everyone why you don't like football?

Just my 2 cents.
300+ flights and counting

PS: In the past year, I've flown my mavic at dozen's of places all over my city, many other states, and 2 other countries. I've got some really cool vacation videos which I share with friends and family, (and quite frankly that's the only thing about this hobby that my wife loves.) I've never had a problem with a NFZ. I'm not able to fly near airports, that's it. Most of the time I fly just because I just love the act of flying, and I can easily launch the mavic anytime and almost anywhere. I keep it in my car or on my bike for when I pass by a nice park and I get the urge. Please take your pessimism elsewhere. You sound like an old man griping about the "evils of new technology".
I said Good Day Sir!

Well said. Thanks for putting into words what I suspect everyone else was thinking. And I agree, I take my Mavic on my motorbike and to work, because you never know just when you will see something of interest, but mostly because I enjoy flying and it’s an excuse to get the bird up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom