DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This is why I Upgraded to M2P from MP1

You are right I would like a Zoom
And will probably buy one
When it comes out with the 1” Sensor

......cR

I know people like to get really excited about the sensor size, but it just doesn't look any better, the zoom actually compresses everything when you zoom in and they look WAY better from that far away and when you crop into them. The ability to zoom > 1' Sensor ...

Reactions: charliesRig
it is true, as long as you do not plan to actually print the photos you take. if all you need is to get some small res JPGs for the facebook - then, sure, by all means zoom`s sensor is fine for that.

I disagree man, the quality IS NOT BETTER on any level, crop into it and see for yourself, the zoom is going to look better 10/10 times because its just a better camera. I'm sorry so many people got sold on "sensor size".... The resolution is the exact same the colors are less vibrant on the pro and it looks light a nightmare trying to crop in at all vs. the zoom. Speaking from years of drone and camera experience, plus looking at hundreds of side by sides from both drones. I wish the pro was better, I would have kept it instead of return it.

I disagree man, the quality IS NOT BETTER on any level, crop into it and see for yourself, the zoom is going to look better 10/10 times because its just a better camera. I'm sorry so many people got sold on "sensor size".... The resolution is the exact same the colors are less vibrant on the pro and it looks light a nightmare trying to crop in at all vs. the zoom. Speaking from years of drone and camera experience, plus looking at hundreds of side by sides from both drones. I wish the pro was better, I would have kept it instead of return it.
we will have to agree to disagree. i own both models and did plenty of comparisons myself. the difference is same as if you would try comparing any other consumer cameras with similar sensors. no nightmares, no surprises, just exactly what is expected to be. 1" sony sensor is excellent, much better dynamic range and way less noise in shadows. to make an acceptable A3 print from zoom sensor takes a lot of work, pro image can be printed as is with a minimal post processing.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
we will have to agree to disagree. i own both models and did plenty of comparisons myself. the difference is same as if you would try comparing any other consumer cameras with similar sensors. no nightmares, no surprises, just exactly what is expected to be. 1" sony sensor is excellent, much better dynamic range and way less noise in shadows. to make an acceptable A3 print from zoom sensor takes a lot of work, pro image can be printed as is with a minimal post processing.

Lol, placebo effect is a real thing.

I was flying in Westbay last april
I met Another there flying a Mavic2Pro
Made my MP1 seem like a kit build
I couldn’t keep up.....I had to get a M2P

......cR

VERY strongly agree with you paulatkin! The post above was wrong when he said both cameras offer the same resolution (20 vs. 12 mp). But for me, as a still photographer, being able to control the aperture is a game changer, coming from the first Mavic Pro. I have seen many extremely nice photos taken with a Zoom, and there are situations when I could really use the zoom capability. But, over the real world variety of lighting conditions, the Pro will yield vastly superior results. Having said that, a great photographer with a Mavic Air will capture better shots than a less experienced photographer with a M2P. I made 72" wide metal prints recently from several M2P captures stitched together. My pro photographer friends were blown away that a flying sensor, in the wind, could do that. So am I, honestly.

There is a difference in pixels per picture. Here’s the comparison from the DJI website. If nothing else the HDR was important to me.
0767EF8A-C719-4811-8930-6EE0BD794A2A.png

Reactions: charliesRig
The sensor size matters a lot. Especially when you do things in post. There is no comparison with the Zoom and the 1inch sensor if you shoot in Dlog and edit in Divinci Resolve. It is just science that a bigger sensor, adjustable aperture and 10 but color are better than 8 but with a small sensor and fixed aperture. Facebook, You Tube and 1080 comparison sure it is the same. But you are wrong when you say there is no differance. You must be talking straight out of camera on Social media. If you are doing Professional stuff, u need a good camera. The zoom is a good Drone, but you can zoom with the Mavic 2 pro too. Shoot in HQ and zoom in post. You can zoom a lot because of Dlog and 10 bit.

Not true

VERY strongly agree with you paulatkin! The post above was wrong when he said both cameras offer the same resolution (20 vs. 12 mp). But for me, as a still photographer, being able to control the aperture is a game changer, coming from the first Mavic Pro. I have seen many extremely nice photos taken with a Zoom, and there are situations when I could really use the zoom capability. But, over the real world variety of lighting conditions, the Pro will yield vastly superior results. Having said that, a great photographer with a Mavic Air will capture better shots than a less experienced photographer with a M2P. I made 72" wide metal prints recently from several M2P captures stitched together. My pro photographer friends were blown away that a flying sensor, in the wind, could do that. So am I, honestly.

More Pixels, but it's still the same resolution right..? Also, I agree a large sensor is amazing in any situations with less then perfect lighting, however since you can't fly in the rain and you can't really fly at night, when is it ever not perfect? To me, its not big enough to sacrifice zoom, its so huge and looks way better then doing zooms in post.

More Pixels, but it's still the same resolution right..? Also, I agree a large sensor is amazing in any situations with less then perfect lighting, however since you can't fly in the rain and you can't really fly at night, when is it ever not perfect? To me, its not big enough to sacrifice zoom, its so huge and looks way better then doing zooms in post.
You can fly in the rain (believe it or not, some guy sells drone wetsuits), and you can legally fly half an hour before and after sunset, but if you prefer midday lighting, the Zoom does offer some advantages for skittish wild life and getting the shot, while staying far enough away not to attract attention, and avoid flying over people.

Reactions: Astro1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird