DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This Just In: final report Phantom vs. Blackhawk

What information did the FAA use to identify the UAS pilot?

What information did the FAA use to identify the UAS pilot?
Copied directly from the report:

WRECKAGE AND IMPACT INFORMATION

One motor and a portion of an arm of the sUAS was recovered from the helicopter. Debris was found in the engine oil cooler fan by Army maintenance personnel. The components were transferred by the US Army to a representative of the FAA Teterboro, New Jersey, Flight Standards District Office, then to the NTSB. Manufacturing serial number information inscribed on the motor enabled sales records provided by the manufacturer to aid in identifying the pilot, as the sUAS was purchased directly from the manufacturer. The remainder of the sUAS was not recovered.

Jake

I'd love to see him try the "its only a guideline" defence just for comedy value. If they want to they can throw the book at him. Whether its worth it vs education is a different matter.

Yeah, but it'd be ridiculous to use VLOS/400ft as a defense when he was flying in "drones banned period" zone.

Agreed. And no one would ever try anything ridiculous as a defense.

I'm super happy that there were no injuries.

The .gov got really lucky to be able to track that guy down. It seems super unlikely that any serialized part of the drone would get stuck to the helicopter. Just as unlikely is that dji keeps good enough records to trace a single motor to a particular drone and the guy happened to purchase direct from dji.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him.

It seems like it could've happened to anyone, especially newbies. With complains of updates to NFZ and erroneous TFR, preventing drones from flying, it's no surprise some ppl prefer to fly in airplane mode. Btw, the pilot wasn't in total control on the drone. He triggered RTH and was waiting for it to return.
Imagine, if he had used a 3rd party app, like Litchi, and was doing a waypoint mission.

It seems like it could've happened to anyone, especially newbies. With complains of updates to NFZ and erroneous TFR, preventing drones from flying, it's no surprise some ppl prefer to fly in airplane mode. Btw, the pilot wasn't in total control on the drone. He triggered RTH and was waiting for it to return.
Imagine, if he had used a 3rd party app, like Litchi, and was doing a waypoint mission.

There is no excuse for this. If you're going to participate in this hobby and accept the fact that you have an "aircraft" that could easily operate in the national airspace system, you better have your ducks in a row. TFRs are not erroneous and are well documented on many websites and publications. I don't know about Australia but in the US there are numerous resources available to drone hobbyists that can tell you if your flight will be legal. This guy was in NYC and there are dozens of local publications that show where you can and can't operate a drone within city limits. I grew up close to where this happened. There is a lot of helicopter activity off the coast of Staten island and Brooklyn and if you look at some of the aviation charts (which are available on line) covering this area it actually mentions the low level activity.

Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat!

There is no excuse for this. If you're going to participate in this hobby and accept the fact that you have an "aircraft" that could easily operate in the national airspace system, you better have your ducks in a row. TFRs are not erroneous and are well documented on many websites and publications. I don't know about Australia but in the US there are numerous resources available to drone hobbyists that can tell you if your flight will be legal. This guy was in NYC and there are dozens of local publications that show where you can and can't operate a drone within city limits. I grew up close to where this happened. There is a lot of helicopter activity off the coast of Staten island and Brooklyn and if you look at some of the aviation charts (which are available on line) covering this area it actually mentions the low level activity.

Ignorantia juris non excusat or ignorantia legis neminem excusat!

I didn't say it was a valid excuse. It won't hold up if the authorities comes knocking at the door. But, not everyone thinks the same way as you do. Look at the lost and found thread here. Most who've flown for a while, and done their research, read up and do all the necessary stuff before they fly would be fine. Christmas is just around the corner, and I expect there'll be drones under the Christmas tree in plenty of households. Don't assume all of them would even RTM before they fly. All I am saying, more of these incidents types of incidents will happen. I am not ignorant of that fact.

I didn't say it was a valid excuse. It won't hold up if the authorities comes knocking at the door. But, not everyone thinks the same way as you do. Look at the lost and found thread here. Most who've flown for a while, and done their research, read up and do all the necessary stuff before they fly would be fine. Christmas is just around the corner, and I expect there'll be drones under the Christmas tree in plenty of households. Don't assume all of them would even RTM before they fly. All I am saying, more of these incidents types of incidents will happen. I am not ignorant of that fact.
Thus justifying the continued need by aviation authorities and probably manufactures to implement regulation and means to "idiot proof." New-bees need to know and understand what they are getting into.

Reactions: fbcx
Righto. Forget what I said. Lets assume all newbies will be responsible drone owners. Happy? Aviation authorities can trust us to do the right thing.

Russian immigrant flying close to Coney Island at dusk, BVR during a TFR.

Drone far beyond sight during Black Hawk collision - AOPA
I'll bet the russian was on the russia mavic forums all the time bragging about his long range flights.
and how the rules dont apply to drone pilots, and anyone who follows the rules are wienies..........
Wonder what he thinks after buying the replacement black hawk rotor, trans deck and windscreen frame.

Righto. Forget what I said. Lets assume all newbies will be responsible drone owners. Happy? Aviation authorities can trust us to do the right thing.

In actuality 90% will probably do the right thing, it's the remaining 10% that, well...

5ad92f2e2ae09b2149c76a092b43095f--ignorance-quote-of-the-day.jpg

I'll bet the russian was on the russia mavic forums all the time bragging about his long range flights.
and how the rules dont apply to drone pilots, and anyone who follows the rules are wienies..........
He was actually flying a P4P, Russian Phantom 4 forums! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart