DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This Just In: final report Phantom vs. Blackhawk

In his interview with investigators, the drone pilot “indicated that he was not concerned with flying beyond visual line of sight, and he expressed only a general cursory awareness of regulations and good operating practices,” - what a total and utter xxxx! :eek:

Reactions: sar104
I get the impression from reading all the crashes and flyaways here that 99% of drone "pilots" are the same, they have absolutely no clue about anything. Let's just hope they don't become manned a/c pilots some day. :D

One mitigating factor: to become a Part 61 pilot they would have to go through training and certification and to pass would need to get a clue pretty quickly. There have been numerous posters on these forums claiming Part 61 or similar certification whose regard for air safety seems very marginal, but I'm inclined to think that many are not really pilots.

One mitigating factor: to become a Part 61 pilot they would have to go through training and certification and to pass would need to get a clue pretty quickly. There have been numerous posters on these forums claiming Part 61 or similar certification whose regard for air safety seems very marginal, but I'm inclined to think that many are not really pilots.
I'm a CFII and I agree 100%. When you're earning your PPL safety and regulations are pounded into you, even more so if you go through a part 141 school so its pretty easy to spot the "posers."

Let's start with thank goodness nobody was hurt.

I struggle actually seeing my Mavic at 1,500 ft away, and I doubt that anyone has the visual ability to see a drone at 12,500 feet away. DJI's combination of well made drones and highly functional (compared to most other consumer drones) software "allows" us to fly out at crazy distances with "confidence" relying solely on the screen of our tablet/phone. We shouldn't do it. Period. It's illegal and I'm sorry, but relying on the computer in your UAS talking to the computer in your remote talking to the computer in your phone is begging for a problem. My Mac and iPhone are EXTREMELY stable, but they both hang up on me on occasion.

Yes, the UAS operator was CLEARLY at fault, but, the UAS operator was at 300' AGL over the ocean. If the helicopter was at 500' AGL (as was originally reported) this all would have been avoided. (I had suspected that the helicopter was below the 500' originally reported and the final report confirms this.)

Although I was relieved that the drone was below 400' (at least on this flight), the NUMEROUS other reckless behaviors of the UAS operator totally negate the one thing he was doing legally. Again, thank goodness nobody was killed or hurt. Maintaining a safe altitude does not make up for:
Flying in a TFR
Flying beyond VLOS
Not maintaining situational awareness of your craft in congested airspace
However, had the UAS pilot limited his flight to 1000' from where he started and stayed at 300' AGL, he still could have been hit by the helicopter. He would have been out of the TFR, within VLOS, and below altitude limits. (And of course he could have heard the helicopter and could have taken evasive action.)

I know that helicopter pilots will not agree with what I am saying, but, there are way more UAS's then helicopters out there and we need to establish a separation. Keeping drones below 400' and manned aircraft above 500' could prevent a tragedy. Can we please limit helicopter and plane flight to > 500' AGL unless landing or taking off (or in VERY limited other exceptions). I know you want to fly below 500' and I certainly want to fly above 400', but let's both make compromises and keep everyone alive , unhurt, and damage free.

I get nervous when I hear (let alone see) a private plane or helicopter when I'm flying my Mavic, and I will typically drop to <100' until I ascertain fully whats going on. I've never seen a small plane below 500' (except on take off or approach), but I've personally seen helicopters (military and private) buzzing busy beaches at 100' (+/-) and this was over people in the summer. I doubt that the Navy chopper flying OVER Virginia Beach in July at 100' AGL pitching side to side was on a "national security operation".

All of this is fantasy musing on my part, because reckless operation of a UAS resulting in a collision with a manned aircraft will not serve to further restrict manned flight, but will no doubt be the poster child for further UAS restrictions.

It's another sad day to be a UAS operator.

Peter T.

Reactions: saboken
Can we please limit helicopter and plane flight to > 500' AGL unless landing or taking off (or in VERY limited other exceptions). I know you want to fly below 500' and I certainly want to fly above 400', but let's both make compromises and keep everyone alive , unhurt, and damage free.
I agree with all your points except this...

I fly sUAVs and fixed wing aircraft (I have a 107 and a Commercial Pilots certificate as well as a CFII) and been actively engaged in aviation for over 40 years. I support all facets of aviation and I hope to see the sUAV hobby/ industry grow.

With that said - there is no compromise.

FAR 91.119(c) and (d) has been well established and the NAS has been in effect for almost 60 years. There are many operations that necessitate low level flight by fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft. The FAA will not and should not "change the rules" for a hobby, especially if those participating in it are uncertificated and for the most part not officially trained to an established format. It's simple, keep your hobby drone within visual range and when you see an aircraft, get out of its way. If you feel that a low flying aircraft is operating in violation of FAR 91.119(b)(c) or (d), call your local FSDO.

BTW, the next time you see a low flying helicopter (be it civilian or military) hugging a shore line, check to see if there is a helicopter route for the given area, on a helicopter route chart it will usually indicate authorized operating altitudes, especially in established low level corridors. Oh, and helicopters don't "pitch" side-to-side, they "yaw" ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1