DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Those that own Mini: any reason to keep AND get Air 2?

Alloy

Reactions
I just purchased the mini, but saw the whole hype about the Air 2. I placed my order for the Air 2 after selling Air 1. I'm curious as to anyone who also owned the mini, is there any reason to keep it rather than return it as I am still within the return period. Yes this would mean owning both. Thanks!

Reactions: Tburon9
I have a mini and am Thinking about getting the Air2, I am in the return period on the mini too....but man I really hate to return it, it’s so darn convenient to launch and get a quick shot in. I will prob just wait and see. I bet I return the mini though....WiFi sucks compared to occusync.

Reactions: Tburon9 and Alloy
Always good to have a spare. I’ve kept all of my drones, and have quite a collection now.

Edit - all except the Yuneec Breeze. I couldn’t get rid of that thing quick enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alloy
I just purchased the mini, but saw the whole hype about the Air 2. I placed my order for the Air 2 after selling Air 1. I'm curious as to anyone who also owned the mini, is there any reason to keep it rather than return it as I am still within the return period. Yes this would mean owning both. Thanks!

There is small and than there is to small , the mini served its purpose to get people into and out of for bigger and better. No reason to have both. 1 is a possible flight risk every time the wind blows. Air 2 should be fun without any of the stress.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Rain.
Coal

Last edited:
There is small and than there is to small , the mini served its purpose to get people into and out of for bigger and better. No reason to have both. 1 is a possible flight risk every time the wind blows. Air 2 should be fun without any of the stress.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Rain.
Coal
Agreed
Every single time I launch my mini and get any altitude I get the high wind warning, it’s very limiting.

Right now I have two Minis. My plan is to get an Air 2, keep one Mini and give the other to my daughter when she's ready. Wind is a huge limiting factor for the Mini but it has some party tricks that make me want to hang on to one. The portability factor cannot be understated. I live in Alaska and spend lots of time hiking and boating. I'm away from 110 volt power sources for several days at a time sometimes. Being able to charge the whole Fly More package with a small outboard motor, ATV or USB power bank is a huge plus. Everything fits into a single hard case that is small enough to fit into a backpack along with a bunch of other gear. Also, it's inexpensive enough that I don't feel like I'm gambling with a mortgage payment. Two thirds of my flight time has been in places where crash recovery wouldn't be feasible so Care Refresh wouldn't be any help. For these reasons I'm keeping a Mini.

Just bought the mini.came last week 5 days now. already order the Air2[emoji15]
Will like to return the mini cause probably won’t use it much now.
What do you guys think

Since two years I have a Mavic Air which was my first drone. Taking it on mountain bike rides or flying with Litchi using waypoint missions. Never had any problem. I love it.

December 2019 I got the Mavic Mini. Its my preferred drone now for biking. Light, small, video and pictures by far good enough for me. Avoiding strong wind never had any problem. I love it.

27.4. I ordered a Mavic Air 2. Still waiting. Fantastic features - best for me Ocusync 2 and long flight time. But bigger and heavier than the Mavic Air. I'm sure I will love it.

.. and keep all of them ?

But I hope Litchi will be available for all of them soon.

Mini and MA2 aren't even in the same class. I've got Mini, in addition to the Air, Spark, Anafi and Mavic2 Zoom. The MA2 replaces the Spark for me since there is so much the Air 1 can do that the MA2 cannot. That said, the MA2 is significantly larger and heavier than the Mini. I suppose it's possible that the MA2 could replace my M2 Zoom, but I have so much confidence in the size and weight of the M2 Zoom to withstand winds, etc. I have trouble imagining feeling the same about the MA2. So, that's a long way of saying that DJI has done a great job of making sure that none of these completely replace the new "upgrade." I will likely grab the MA2 at some point and sell my Spark.

Due to it's <250g weight, the Mini can be exempt from certain aviation regulations depending on the country. So it's possible that you can fly the Mini in places where the Air 2 wouldn't be allowed.

Reactions: rbw201412
I have the Phantom 4 pro+ and it is so big it stays in the closet unused. Turns our my interest is portability so the Mini is perfect for it. However, being so light makes me nervous in the wind. The Air 2 is being considered but the controller is so big. I have not seen one other than online and am curious about the portability. I do think the slightly heavier weight may help in some circumstances and the sensors would be a big plus. Active track (or whatever they call it) is also a big interest. Most likely I will sell the Phantom and get an Air 2. Just buying my time to see what bugs emerge and if people really like it once the hype wears off.

Due to it's <250g weight, the Mini can be exempt from certain aviation regulations depending on the country. So it's possible that you can fly the Mini in places where the Air 2 wouldn't be allowed.
As far as I am aware, at least in the US, the only regulatory impact of Mini weighing in at 249g is that the drone does not have to be registered. All other flight rules would still apply. Please someone clarify and correct if I am mistaken about that.

Hi learned early on that I needed to have at least two drones because inevitably your main drone will need to go in for repairs and that takes three or four weeks that you won’t have a drone to use unless you have a back up. Happy Flying

Just bought the mini.came last week 5 days now. already order the Air2[emoji15]
Will like to return the mini cause probably won’t use it much now.
What do you guys think
Get rid of the mini but get another one that’s better that can serve as a spare because inevitably you will need a spare is they do break down and have to go in and then you have to wait four weeks or so to get it back

As far as I am aware, at least in the US, the only regulatory impact of Mini weighing in at 249g is that the drone does not have to be registered. All other flight rules would still apply. Please someone clarify and correct if I am mistaken about that.

That's true in the USA, but in some other countries, the lighter weight drones avoid other regulations as well.

However the upcoming Remote ID rule in the US seems to exempt <250g drones as well. (but that shouldn't even be going live for a couple more years)

Reactions: antonebear
I had the MM with combo for 4 months and it gets stressful every time I loose connection. So I sold it and went for the MA2 with combo. Lest see if my stress level goes down :). JK. I know it will and will have much better flying enjoyment .
I ordered it on 5/1 from DJI site . I text support this morning for an update on delivery confirmed 5/16 . But we'll see if it happens

I have the MM, first drone, almost set to buy the MA2. I will keep the MM it's small, attracts less attention, cheaper outlay and refresh, and after the purchase of the MA2 I'll fly each at different times according the the weather and location. I could get in a quick flight when it's calm thereby reducing used time on the new drone saving that for when it's more windy. I haven't tried the advanced features yet, so I'd rather work that out on the MM. I've only had one lost signal and the RTH worked like a charm. I'm still trying to get use to watching the drone and looking down at the information on the iphone or ipad and working all that out in my reflexes. It would be nice to have more confidence and power at my fingertips. As stated before the reason for buying the MM is less monetary loss in case things go south.:oops:

Reactions: Tburon9

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark