DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Those with FAA Pilot Licenses

draver

Reactions
I'll be studying for the Part 107 license test after the first of the year. A question came to mind and I cannot easily find an answer.

Regardless of aircraft type or category, are all/most/some pilot licenses recognized by other countries? We all know that commercial aviation flies internationally, but if you have private license, can you fly an aircraft to Canada, Mexico, or any other country without restriction? Would a Part 107 license carry any weight in a foreign country? Would they even know such a thing exists?

Some countries may not have an interest in your license. Their drone laws will be the deciding factor.

I'll be studying for the Part 107 license test after the first of the year. A question came to mind and I cannot easily find an answer.

Regardless of aircraft type or category, are all/most/some pilot licenses recognized by other countries? We all know that commercial aviation flies internationally, but if you have private license, can you fly an aircraft to Canada, Mexico, or any other country without restriction? Would a Part 107 license carry any weight in a foreign country? Would they even know such a thing exists?

That’s a good question. A commercial aircraft license is recognized internationally. An FAA 107 is issued by the same authority. I suspect it technically would be, but the local drone laws would take priority. What you need to do is contact the country you where you want to fly and get specific information from them.

That’s a good question. A commercial aircraft license is recognized internationally. An FAA 107 is issued by the same authority. I suspect it technically would be, but the local drone laws would take priority. What you need to do is contact the country you where you want to fly and get specific information from them.

Thank you for that info. I'm going to Spain and a few other countries in April/May next year. I plan to take either my current Mavic or whatever else I may have with me on the trip. I'd like to be hassle free both at customs and capturing some local scenery. I am wondering if I were to be contacted by the local authorities if having the 107 license might carry any weight with validating my drone operation in their jurisdiction.

Is it possible to flesh that out a bit?
No ... it's not

Every country whose rules I'm familiar with wants you to have one of their own commercial licences (all much harder to get than 107).
None mention or recognise a US 107.
Your 107 certification will carry no weight overseas.

Without any standards in place there isn't a lot of "cooperation" between countries right now.

Part 107 is only valid/recognized by our US of A. Other countries require you to demonstrate Flight Proficiency where-as Part 107 demonstrates you can pass a test.

I've been doing some research on Spain, and it seems they seem to have the same general regulations & rules that we have in place. No flying over crowds, approx. 5 miles from airports, 120 meters max altitude, 50 meters from buildings. There may be some local restrictions also. Good stuff to know, and once I can figure out their No Fly Zones I think I'll be pretty safe if I stick to the coast and any other unpopulated areas. Is there any app like Be4UFly for Europe that is available?

NO!
Each and every country is their own sovereign. As such they are entitled to make and enforce their own rules and laws. I would encourage every drone pilot to seek advice from a governmental agency of the country you plan to visit. A licensed aircraft pilot may be an exception but that does not mean their credentials are not subject to inspection in another country.
Just like booking a hotel . . . Call or email ahead, avoid the hassle.

Your part 107 is a remote pilot "certification" not a license.
One word, total difference internationally

I've been doing some research on Spain, and it seems they seem to have the same general regulations & rules that we have in place. No flying over crowds, approx. 5 miles from airports, 120 meters max altitude, 50 meters from buildings. There may be some local restrictions also. Good stuff to know, and once I can figure out their No Fly Zones I think I'll be pretty safe if I stick to the coast and any other unpopulated areas. Is there any app like Be4UFly for Europe that is available?
Only 1 app for whole Europe would be too easy :)
Spain has an un-official mobile app call Icarus RPA that's not bad ( IcarusRPA - SKYDRONEX - DRONEX ® ), but official map is here ENAIRE Drones

You can also check https://www.drone-made.com/blog/world-map-drone-laws that seems to have a good summary for many countries.

I have a pilot's license from the UK and the US and neither allow me to just fly around the other country as I wish. I can fly into and back out of each country with the other but you can't go flying around in that country for an extended period of time, with out passing a further exam and proficiency flight test. The real pilot licenses are reciprocating but only to arrive and depart with, if you can understand that. ATPL is a different story of course but again these pilots are still only arriving and departing in that country, they are not flying about the country as they please, as you would with your drone.

With that said, I am registered with the FAA for a drone and I have flown in the UK last year and Austria this year with nothing additional in each of those countries. Of course I, did not try and fly in cities or in tourist areas or over crowds etc. So keep away from resorts and crowds and cities and below 400ft and I'm sure you will have no problem in Spain or other European counties, but third world countries are different.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31