DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thought experiment - Are professional fireworks operators drone pilots?

BTW I asked ChatGPT after seeing Ty Pilot's answer and here is what is said which agrees completely with Ty Pilot:

Yes, professional fireworks typically use a propulsion system to launch them into the air. The propulsion system consists of a tube or mortar that is designed to hold the firework securely and direct the force of the explosion in a controlled manner. When the firework is ignited, the explosive materials inside the firework create a high-pressure gas that propels the firework out of the mortar and into the air.
The propulsion system in professional fireworks is carefully designed to ensure a safe and controlled launch. The size and shape of the mortar, as well as the amount and type of propellant used, are all factors that are taken into consideration to achieve the desired trajectory and height of the firework.
Once the firework is airborne, it uses its own internal mechanisms, such as fuses, timers, and lift charges, to control its flight and perform various effects, such as bursts, trails, and colors. These effects are created by the chemical composition of the firework and the way the explosive materials are packed inside.
It's important to note that professional fireworks are handled by trained pyrotechnicians who follow strict safety protocols to ensure a safe and enjoyable display for spectators.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Ok, one more ChatGPT answer on aerodynamic forces which I found interesting:

While professional fireworks are designed to achieve a specific trajectory and height, they do not rely on aerodynamic forces in the same way that, for example, an airplane or a rocket does. Unlike an aircraft or a rocket, fireworks are not designed to generate lift or maneuver in the air based on aerodynamic principles.
The propulsion system in fireworks launches them into the air, and once airborne, they follow a predetermined trajectory based on their design and the angles at which they are launched. The effects produced by fireworks, such as bursts, trails, and colors, are primarily a result of the chemical reactions and arrangements of explosive materials within the firework.
However, it's worth noting that the shape and design of the firework can have some minor impact on its flight characteristics. For instance, the shape of the firework's shell can affect the stability and spin of the firework as it travels through the air, which may influence the display pattern.
Overall, while professional fireworks are not primarily driven by aerodynamic forces, their design and construction are carefully considered to ensure a controlled and visually pleasing display.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
#3 - can fly autonomously is also a criteria.

BTW even though I gave opinions on #3 and #5 it only takes on criteria to be unmet like #2.

3. Can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely;

The key word is "or"

In regards to #3, it would need to have the word 'either' to exclude one of the characteristics. so if it was written as - 'Can fly either autonomously, or be piloted remotely' - but it does not include that word. ;) Both criteria are necessary.

Reactions: mavictk
No

Powered like a rocket is powered. I used the word aerial to indicate fire works that are airborne.
Youi cited a regulation about an aerial vehicle. You don't get to decide the definition; you need to site the vehicle definition in the regulation or reference.

#2 - agreed. I now have a reason to carefully watch a fireworks show.
#3 - can fly autonomously is also a criteria.
#5 - I would suggest the explosion is the payload before it explodes.

BTW even though I gave opinions on #3 and #5 it only takes on criteria to be unmet like #2.
Back in the mid 70s I used to help out my uncle with professional fireworks.
There are basically 2 explosions from the aerial bomb that happens. Fast fuse to the lift explosion, inside the mortar. Like firing a shotgun. Timing fuse then ignites allowing the projectile to lift to a certain elevation. The exposion in the air then produces the colored burning paper to spread out to a certain design. whether it be wide and circular, big bang, whistles, etc. Depending on how it was packed. In no way would this be equivalent to a drone, nor would the firework operator have to have a 107. I'm sure he would rather just need a 107 since pyrotechnic licensing is intense. I believe now it requires a 1-3 year apprenticeship. Back in the day, it was all hands on. Today it's mostly computerized due to safety. I would guess small fire stations that do local fireworks may do it the old fashion way with flare, a guy lighting the fuse, and a loader, to safe money.
I got hurt in a fireworks accident in 73. Reason why I dont do any of that today actually.

Reactions: Torque
The key word is "or"

In regards to #3, it would need to have the word 'either' to exclude one of the characteristics. so if it was written as - 'Can fly either autonomously, or be piloted remotely' - but it does not include that word. ;) Both criteria are necessary
According to a lawyer or means or and doesn’t need either in this case. There are many laws written with or and without either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1