DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts/comments on wide angle experience

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've recently picked up the dji wide angle and it really looks good although I have not had much time with it. I saw a vid that said it would not work with waypoint hyperlapse but I just tossed it up in the air for a few minutes and it appears to be able to do so. I didn't have time to really confirm it. I note several vids that say it doesn't work. Perhaps there was an update that allowed it? Anyone have anything in particular to comment about it - good bad or ugly?

Reactions: LoudThunder
Here and old post I saw...

I’ve had it for a few months now and in the right circumstances i love it !! It does have the distortion which can be a pain but it can be ironed out in post

One of the latest updates for the mavic 3 was to let ya use the wide angle lens on other features such as hyper lapse etc etc :)

Here’s my first video I did using the wide angle lens on the mavic 3 :)

Here’s my first video
If this was your first, I cannot wait to see what else you make, it was Beautiful, a couple of baubles, but Great!

Yeah was a bit blah in some places lol
No, seriously, I liked it and the couple of bobbles were are 0:47 (Gimbal rotation too fast), and at 2:03 (you yaw'd too quickly at first. But at 0:52, the sailboat passing the draw bridge was cool…

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I’ve had it for a few months now and in the right circumstances i love it !! It does have the distortion which can be a pain but it can be ironed out in post

One of the latest updates for the mavic 3 was to let ya use the wide angle lens on other features such as hyper lapse etc etc :)

Here’s my first video I did using the wide angle lens on the mavic 3 :)

The exposures were beautiful with nice lighting. I thought there were too many clips of the same exact scene. The gimbal bobble was distracting too. All in all, a beautiful scene with good lighting but over done in frequency of clips.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: LoudThunder
Great video but I would imagine non-commercial drone flights are not allowed in Auckland or over the harbor?

The Wide angle produces more drama when closer to subjects. From high altitude, and far off subjects UT produces more of a panoramic effect. When possible, a roadway with trees or buildings and/or canopy can illustrate distortion more, but some interesting drama as well.

Before V01.00.0700 we couldn't use any autonomous flight modes, nor Focus Track. A lot has been enabled with that update.

I grabbed what may end up being a unicorn - the DJI branded wide angle lens adapter for Mini 3 Pro from Adorama in a close-out when DJI discontinued, then pulled all stock from the store. Still not sure what issue they came across; but I suspect the inability of Mini 3 to detect the lens, as Mavic 3 does allows taking some less than optimal images. Namely panoramas. A high number of frames like you get with 180° or Sphere Panos can screw up the overlap/stitching, for obvious reasons, producing multi-exposed bands in parts of the final image. This doesn't bother me, I can avoid things that don't work well. DJI probably didn't want to support an accessory that would have customers complaining, nor do they want more negative press after the Mavic 3 debacle.

I love the Mavic 3 Wide Angle, my only wish would be a way to combine ND Filters with it, as Freewell did with the anamorphic/Wide angle kit. Maybe next time!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALEXANDRE MARAN GREGOLIN