DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Thunderstorm after it passed over my house.

ArthurC

Reactions
I filmed a storm after it passed over my house, and recorded the soundtrack while it was raining on us. I took a while to get the exposure right, but I eventually got it dialed I think. Super happy with a few of these lightning strikes. I slowed a couple down to half speed for maximum enjoyment. Let me know what you think!

@ArthurC ,wonderful video ,i found myself looking for a waterproof coat, to put on while i watched it;);););)

Reactions: ArthurC
Very nice video. The audio is wonderful.

So, you avoided flying the drone in the rain? I'd also be interested in the camera settings you used.

I filmed a storm after it passed over my house, and recorded the soundtrack while it was raining on us. I took a while to get the exposure right, but I eventually got it dialed I think. Super happy with a few of these lightning strikes. I slowed a couple down to half speed for maximum enjoyment. Let me know what you think!

Another amazing video capture Arthur! I wonder if one of those lightning you captured resulting in that barn being destroyed after it was hit by lightning? Most probably likely I'd say. Thank you for posting, excellent work!

When your shooting in pitch black skies , you almost always want to be in Auto mode and let the DJI Camera do all the work, and you always expect excellent results like these.

Phantomrain.org
Wet Suit to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

When your shooting in pitch black skies , you almost always want to be in Auto mode and let the DJI Camera do all the work, and you always expect excellent results like these.

Phantomrain.org
If you shoot in auto mode, the camera selects the settings. But, it's still interesting and useful to know what those settings were.

These are so hard to come by, I would grab some 4K frames and export them out , just go thru the timeline and find them one by one, as these are amazing captures.

Phantomrain.org
Wet Suits to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm.
Thank you. I want to see if I can fond some sort of software to stack a few frames together to get some of the spider web lightning shots all in one frame. Any ideas? Thanks for watching!

Great stuff. What settings did you dial in?
I started with 30fps 1/30 exposure, and 1600 ISO, but that was getting too over exposed. I switched to 60fps and 1/60 exposure (which gave me the slow motion ability for the better shots) and I think I finally got it down to 400 or 800 ISO. The sky was actually still pretty light, despite what the video shows, as this storm was right after sunset. the Low ISO and exposure make it seem pitch black.
Thanks for watching!

Reactions: Dronecation
Very nice video. The audio is wonderful.

So, you avoided flying the drone in the rain? I'd also be interested in the camera settings you used.
Oh yes, the storm I recorded the audio from was 30 or so minutes before the one on the video. That storm was a solid 5+ miles south of me.

Final settings were 60fps 1\60 exposure, and either 400 or 800 ISO, not sure where I ended up, and unfortunately the meta data doesn't show it...

Reactions: MS Coast
Another amazing video capture Arthur! I wonder if one of those lightning you captured resulting in that barn being destroyed after it was hit by lightning? Most probably likely I'd say. Thank you for posting, excellent work!
Thanks!

Curious what barn you are talk about? Because there certainly appears to be a fire visible on the horizon in a few of these shots. Most notably, at the 0:16 second mark, on the horizon just to the right of center, there's a red glowing area. Certainly looks like a fire to me!

Thanks for watching!

Just beautiful Arthur. I sure would like to know the video settings. Thanks.
Thanks for watching! Final settings were 60fps 1\60 exposure, and either 400 or 800 ISO, not sure where I ended up, and unfortunately the meta data doesn't show it... Also, the white balance was 5700-5900ish.

Phantomrain.org
First, thanks for watching, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Secondly, if I left it on auto, the ISO would have been way too high. the sky was still light out, so the camera would have adjusted for that, not the lightning. I had to get the ISO way down so the sensor wasn't completely oversaturated with every strike. I think manual settings was the way to go here, and definitely more predictable.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Thanks!

Curious what barn you are talk about? Because there certainly appears to be a fire visible on the horizon in a few of these shots. Most notably, at the 0:16 second mark, on the horizon just to the right of center, there's a red glowing area. Certainly looks like a fire to me!

Thanks for watching!
There were actually lightning strikes blamed for several structure fires, article here be;pw (and other news carriers mentioned it in the local area as well: Fire Possibly Started by Lightning Destroys Dover, New Hampshire, Barn

Miss that sound. For nearly 70yrs that was my typical summer evening in Tampa Bay (former lightning capital of the world) but no more. Winds changed..so did the weather and the rains. Thanks for the memories.

Thank you. I want to see if I can fond some sort of software to stack a few frames together to get some of the spider web lightning shots all in one frame. Any ideas? Thanks for watching!
That's quite easy, just find one that allows you to do layers and then paint out the parts you don't want in there, leaving just the lightning bolts. Obviously, Photoshop can do it but there are others out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N