DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thunderstorms Look Really Cool but . . .

I've been shooting weather and lightning for a couple of decades. You're far more likely to get blown out of the sky by the gust front and associated turbulence than a bolt of lightning. Not to mention the probability of getting some parts wet that shouldn't get wet (unless you equip your drone with a wetsuit, anyway.)

Regards those strong wind gusts, I have found that it better to be in the air before those strong gusts happen or my risk of taking off increases greatly.
The downside is I sometime miss the best part of the storm heading back to change batteries. :(

I regularly go out to the Four Peaks Wilderness area during our "Southwest Monsoon" storm season. That was the last photo I took that day. It was 113 degrees and *raining* on me for a few minutes before the temperature dropped.

I have a few other photos from that day - I posted one in another thread - but that particular strike was just under a quarter-mile away, and *extremely* loud, and I decided it was definitely time to "bug-out."
Part of your forum handle can spell "cardiac"...bugging out may have saved "arrest".

Very nice! The flag was exposed well as was the lightning and sky. Phone technology keeps getting better and better.

Your aircraft is very unlikely to be hit by lightning. You are very likely, however, to have your control signal negatively affected by the magnetic interference the charges in such a storm contain. Plus, as noted above, you will have an impossible time dealing with the gust front winds.

Your aircraft is very unlikely to be hit by lightning. You are very likely, however, to have your control signal negatively affected by the magnetic interference the charges in such a storm contain. Plus, as noted above, you will have an impossible time dealing with the gust front winds.

We have flown in many lighting storms now with the drones, and have yet to get any Magnetic Interference , but we will keep trying .
As far as wind gusts go; It is best to be in the Air and Flying before the Gust come rather than trying to take off during the storm if possible.

The only real fear you have with the drone in the Wind is the Gimbal Tearing and with some skill and awareness you can protect the Gimbal rather well
as we have shown in many of our flights.

I have been surprised that none of the Lighting Storms we have flown in thus far has not caused any Magnetic Interference ; Not even a bleep on the screen

Below is the Lightning strike with a formation of a Tornado and yet no interference on those either , i think its going to take some thing really really close to the lighting to get an effect.
This all happens within about 60 frames of a second in a single lighting flash :cool:

Ligntning-strike-5cac00912ce5c-1381x763.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-57-06-PM-5dd4e6ca0a2e7-1381x771.png
I was flying closer to the clouds but the winds were a challenge and the battery low so came back.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-54-35-PM-5dd4e6bb349bb-1381x778.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Last edited:
Last edited:
Right here.

But if you know the area, you might like this one, too:

View attachment 107560
Oh yeah. Weavers Needle. So you were at the ATV/dirt bike drop off staging area. Too hot lately to be out there unless those storm clouds come rolling back in. Have you shown any video or pics of the fire damage? I haven't been out that way in a while. Not sure I want to see the destruction.

Oh yeah. Weavers Needle. So you were at the ATV/dirt bike drop off staging area. Too hot lately to be out there unless those storm clouds come rolling back in. Have you shown any video or pics of the fire damage? I haven't been out that way in a while. Not sure I want to see the destruction.

They lifted the NOTAM/TFR for part of the area not too long ago:

So T-storms make for some great photo / video ops. Question is, what's a safe distance from those without getting blown out of the sky by a bold of lightening? Anyone have any experience with this?
You may have these already , but just wanted to pass this on. I use two apps for weather , MyRadar and Location Radius. These help me know whats coming and how far. Hope these help you. Oh and stay safe.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You may have these already , but just wanted to pass this on. I use two apps for weather , MyRadar and Location Radius. These help me know whats coming and how far. Hope these help you. Oh and stay safe.

I'm a fan of RadarScope and NOAA Radar Pro, plus Lightning Pro for tracking the active lightning.

Reactions: G Lee
RadarScope is a great app. We used it the other night to monitor for gust fronts while filming a storm we had Saturday evening.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54