DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time for goodbye to DJI?

Rather than getting a DJI Unlock, or custom unlock for each mission or for 5 days as mentioned above, I created a custom unlock for the maximum radius allowable under the custom unlock section with DJI. I created one for every possible location in my part of the state and each for one full year. Then loaded them into my SC and transferred to the UV while at home. I now have zones around the state that I can turn on when in that area. If a Laanc approval is required, that is requested on site and the DJI unlock is already in place.

If you continue on your journey, you may look at doing this to eliminate the hassle with DJI's locked zones. Good luck with your project. The M2P does take good photographs when settings are correct and I am sure it will give your client the results he needs.
Not everyone is tech savvy, I am to a point. This method you posted is the cream of the crop of unlocking zones. I wouldn't know where to begin so I'm wondering if one day you find the time to post the basic steps in accomplishing this feat Im sure some members would really appreciate it and im sure for the ones that have similar abilities would also appreciate it also.... thanks my fellow flyier...

Last edited:
I would PAY an annual fee for that kind of integration, a pro level support for commercial pilots. Second item, no I did not do self unlock on site every time.

While a good idea I think it could be even simpler than that. Part 107 pilots already have their butt on the line if they cross the line with regards to regulations. Most of these self-imposed restrictions/limitations are geared towards the hobbyist/prosumer crowd with money, who are more likely to be either unaware of the rules or willing to be "flexible" with them.

DJI should simply have a mechanism as part of the unlock process to provide your 107 certificate number and sign a waiver accepting liability for your choice of flight actions, and then remove all the restrictions once and for all leaving it to the professional to choose how to operate within the rules. Generally speaking the 107 guys are not the problem and such a policy would be easy to implement using the already existing custom unlock program through DJI.

I agree.

I would think with a whole months experience you would have worked out all the kinks by now and it sounds as if you are on your way. I think Hoozier D.D. had some great advice.

Not everyone is tech savvy, I am to a point. This method you posted is the cream of the crop of unlocking zones. I wouldn't know where to begin so I'm wondering if one day you find the time to post the basic steps in accomplishing this feat Im sure some members would really appreciate it and im sure for the ones that have similar abilities would also appreciate it also.... thanks my fellow flyier...

I had the DJI M2P and couldn't fly because of Air Force Base. I request permission thru DJI website and got 100 feet altitude approve in 5 mins. I had to go into settings and change settings, then took off. It was a NFZ and wouldn't let me take off until I got permission. I told them what I was doing and why I wanted to fly and got approved right by the Air Foce Base. So evendentlly you didn't go thru there website, because If I could fly near Air Force Base, I'm sure you could get authorization. It's easy to do. The M2P isn't a toy, it is a very good camera and Drone if used right. I love it and have takin amazing photos and videos in places that I had to get permission.
Thanks for the reply, it ought to help someone else who is in my boat considering I am moving on. In reference to the first area I highlighted, I would PAY an annual fee for that kind of integration, a pro level support for commercial pilots. Second item, no I did not do self unlock on site every time.

But the third one, is there a you tube video or some other way to see how when using the Smart Controller the unlock file is then transferred to the drone it self? All I have found applies to the use of the regular controller and the phone which almost always has signal and seems better integrated into the unlock process.

There really needs to be a much better white paper and or tutorial on using the Smart Controller in this capacity.

I finally got somewhere with this. The serial number entered into the unlock page was incorrect. DJI corrected it and I now have the zone unlocked until August. Maybe I can salvage the shoot?
So after calling DJI drones POS and toys, it turns out that this situation was due to poor planning and a typo on your part. As stated in a previous post, that is why it is always best to plan in advance and check everything multiple times before heading out to the job site.

In this case, had you put in the unlock request in advance and then tried to download it to the flight controller, it would have been apparent that the wrong serial number was used.

Not picking on you but I think we can all learn a lesson that sometimes we don't see the whole story and the issue can be self inflicted.

Did you waste time and money -or- is this simply the case that you failed to invest that little bit of extra effort to familiarise yourself with the intricacies if the authorisation and unlock routine? Those 16 fruitless site attendances could have been reduced to one had you researched and asked for support here. Bagging the tech seems to be a convenient cop out. You aren’t alone here- stamping feet and grizzling makes us all feel better in some circumstances. If you have a future use for the Mavic you will find that almost without exception the areas you can’t fly in (unlock) you shouldn’t be flying in anyway. Yes, DJI does occasionally get it wrong, they do modify the NFZ database to correct things when it is demonstrated to them though.

I do commercial work for the city, PD and real estate. I use both the M2z and MA for these but am looking at buying another spark as the image quality if quite good and the spark is not affected by NFZ due to its low weight.

Well folks, while fun as a toy, I am finding the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller for actual paid work in my business to be an epic fail, I am very very close to selling it all and cutting my losses.

Up until I ordered my DJI setup in early August, I had been sub contracting out drone pilots to provide that avenue of content creation on various commercial jobs. I had refrained from getting one my self because I did not feel the image quality and still camera ability was quite up to par in the price point I was looking to spend.
A big part of the reason for getting the M2P and associated accessories *and* my P107 cert was a fairly important job that has since passed as of yesterday. Basically it was to be a series of aerial images made for a world famous architect of a both a finished building and a proposed site, the former in a 50AGL NFZ and latter in a 0 AGL NFZ that I am able to easily get LAANC approval through Skyward.

Out of 18 planned flights over a two week period, I managed to fly three batteries on two days. The rest of the time DJI’s horrendous self unlock protocols via the smart controller simply locked us out, we missed SO MANY prime time slots for getting this content it was disgusting. The client while super frustrated like I was understood and has heard from several people this is becoming a bigger issue with the newer models of DJI drones. But even though this client understood, they are not paying for what they don’t have so I am out $15,000 because of this POS toy!

I invested my time into getting my P107, learning how to fly responsibly and to do everything right and this company has done nothing but let me down. NLD says they are working on a patch that could get the FW back down to the one where I can at least apply the NFZ patch but it is still an unknown at this time.

So in the meantime, I have completely wasted my time, effort and money on this toy. I’m beyond pissed and someone is probably going to get a great deal on a M2P, SC and a bunch of accessories.

What an absolute POS company and a joke of a product.
I have a Mavic Pro with a Zen 8" Tablet on MavMount. I have flown in Class C, Class D, as well as Class E. With the old fashion manual authorization as well a LAANC authorization. LAANC seems work different at different airports. At the Syracuse, NY International Airport (SYR), you can get LAANC authorization but you must submit 24 hours in advance for it to be accepted. At Rochester, NY International Airport (ROC), I was able to get immediate authorization. Both locations were in Class C airspace in the outer perimeter of the zone where I could fly at 400 ft AGL.

I have never been denied or locked out except for one time at little local airport near Whiteface Ski Resort and I belief it was only because I had no data or Wifi to get authorization or to unlock.

Planning ahead is the key, I don't think it is the drone as much as it is the area you are flying in.

I think what needs to happen to make this process cleaner and more foolproof is to have LAANC authorization built into GO 4. That way if you get LAANC authorization then it lets you fly. DJI is already an authorized LAANC provider so why they haven't already done this is beyond me, It just makes sense.

No, what DJI needs to do is get out of the law enforcement business, at least for those of us who don't live in communist China.

Well folks, while fun as a toy, I am finding the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller for actual paid work in my business to be an epic fail, I am very very close to selling it all and cutting my losses.

Up until I ordered my DJI setup in early August, I had been sub contracting out drone pilots to provide that avenue of content creation on various commercial jobs. I had refrained from getting one my self because I did not feel the image quality and still camera ability was quite up to par in the price point I was looking to spend.
A big part of the reason for getting the M2P and associated accessories *and* my P107 cert was a fairly important job that has since passed as of yesterday. Basically it was to be a series of aerial images made for a world famous architect of a both a finished building and a proposed site, the former in a 50AGL NFZ and latter in a 0 AGL NFZ that I am able to easily get LAANC approval through Skyward.

Out of 18 planned flights over a two week period, I managed to fly three batteries on two days. The rest of the time DJI’s horrendous self unlock protocols via the smart controller simply locked us out, we missed SO MANY prime time slots for getting this content it was disgusting. The client while super frustrated like I was understood and has heard from several people this is becoming a bigger issue with the newer models of DJI drones. But even though this client understood, they are not paying for what they don’t have so I am out $15,000 because of this POS toy!

I invested my time into getting my P107, learning how to fly responsibly and to do everything right and this company has done nothing but let me down. NLD says they are working on a patch that could get the FW back down to the one where I can at least apply the NFZ patch but it is still an unknown at this time.

So in the meantime, I have completely wasted my time, effort and money on this toy. I’m beyond pissed and someone is probably going to get a great deal on a M2P, SC and a bunch of accessories.

The Autel Evo has no NFZ restrictions. It relies on the RPI’s best judgement to obey the rules. Some say it has a better camera and equally flight characteristics to the top consumer drones available today. I own both Autel and DJI drones. Whatever your decision is, we all wish you best of luck going forward.

I do commercial work for the city, PD and real estate. I use both the M2z and MA for these but am looking at buying another spark as the image quality if quite good and the spark is not affected by NFZ due to its low weight.
Spark weighs 300g and is certainly subject to NFZ, as will be the Mini. The only thing the 245g Mini will be exempt from is FAA pilot registration.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I don't think Spark is exempt from DJI's Geofencing either.

LAANC authorization shouldn't take very long, no matter what the controlled airspace. 24 hours sounds like a problem.

DJI has been authorized to be a LAANC provider so soon it will be encorporated into the Go app. But then so was the service to swap M2 gimbals which never happened after over a year of M2's existence.

Reactions: PhantomFandom

If you are running a business then you should have bought a commercial drone not a hobby recreational drone. I have no sympathy for you.

If you are running a business then you should have bought a commercial drone not a hobby recreational drone. I have no sympathy for you.
You can’t imagine circumstances where a Mavic or other consumer grade sUAV might prove suitable for commercial use? Most could think of many applications where it might prove to the most suitable option.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks