DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time for goodbye to DJI?

Kevin Hart got sued for $7M when he was creating an app with a company when some sex scandals or w/e hit the news Before it was released.
Umm .... ok then Kevin Hart was sued by someone, sometime.
But Kevin Hart didn't start this thread.

Last edited:
A lost minute of flight time for me is significant. Could potentially be the difference between making it back and coming up short. However, as he explained, if the unlock survives a reboot, I have no problem swapping batteries before launching, and carrying an extra older battery around solely for purposes of warming up, acquiring GPS satellites, formatting the microSD card, calibrating the compass as needed, and doing any unlocking. I already do that now, to maximize flight time on the primary flight battery which is kept at 100% charge, by letting the first battery do all the necessary housekeeping. As long as the unlock survives any battery swap, I'm good with it!
Warming up and acquiring gps lock and then changing battery??

Well folks, while fun as a toy, I am finding the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller for actual paid work in my business to be an epic fail, I am very very close to selling it all and cutting my losses.

Up until I ordered my DJI setup in early August, I had been sub contracting out drone pilots to provide that avenue of content creation on various commercial jobs. I had refrained from getting one my self because I did not feel the image quality and still camera ability was quite up to par in the price point I was looking to spend.
A big part of the reason for getting the M2P and associated accessories *and* my P107 cert was a fairly important job that has since passed as of yesterday. Basically it was to be a series of aerial images made for a world famous architect of a both a finished building and a proposed site, the former in a 50AGL NFZ and latter in a 0 AGL NFZ that I am able to easily get LAANC approval through Skyward.

Out of 18 planned flights over a two week period, I managed to fly three batteries on two days. The rest of the time DJI’s horrendous self unlock protocols via the smart controller simply locked us out, we missed SO MANY prime time slots for getting this content it was disgusting. The client while super frustrated like I was understood and has heard from several people this is becoming a bigger issue with the newer models of DJI drones. But even though this client understood, they are not paying for what they don’t have so I am out $15,000 because of this POS toy!

I invested my time into getting my P107, learning how to fly responsibly and to do everything right and this company has done nothing but let me down. NLD says they are working on a patch that could get the FW back down to the one where I can at least apply the NFZ patch but it is still an unknown at this time.

So in the meantime, I have completely wasted my time, effort and money on this toy. I’m beyond pissed and someone is probably going to get a great deal on a M2P, SC and a bunch of accessories.

What an absolute POS company and a joke of a product.
I keep seeing these unlocking issues on forums but have yet to have difficulty unlocking. The software states I’m in restricted airspace (including NFZ) and asks if I take responsibility for the flight. Once I have authorization, I say yes and it unlocks. I’ve even had it unlock right next to a class D airport and in class E surface restricted airspace, though I didn’t fly in either case because of too much air traffic. There is a license unlocking setting that requires a verified DJI account to easily unlock. Once you do that, use the same account for all your bugs and you’re golden.

This really boils down to knowing your equipment and knowing the specific requirements for the particular job. Both require some advance prep. If you know both, you'll be off to the races!

Warming up and acquiring gps lock and then changing battery??
Yup. The acquired GPS lock survives the battery change, so I can launch almost immediately after the second fully charged battery boots up. All housekeeping has already been completed, including any surprise compass calibration prompts, based upon the 30 day/ 30 miles trigger.

If you get a chance- for curiosity value only- give us a hint how you think this is relevant.

I'm saying, when people owe things to people because what they were all going to do didn't push all the way through. Such as, when people paid for something important but they didn't get it in time. They needed to make money off it to make a return, but they couldn't because something happened and that something happened is who gets sued. Maybe like how people die too soon and didn't complete their God will objectives and made it into Hell w/ what some religions say.. but there is still a possibility Hell wasn't made but who knows.

The best example I could give is when Walmart truck drivers pass some period of time where they are late on a deadline, they get sued $1,000. A small example would be getting your food for free for it being late. Another would be when people get store credit or coupons to use later.

To focus upon it more, say a video shoot where people and everything was paid on payroll, hourly, ready to go but someone didn't do their job properly. Everyone still has to get paid and the shoot didn't happen. Therefore, all losses and extra are filed for litigation of those who the loss is to blame.

Last edited:
I'm saying, when people owe things to people because what they were all going to do didn't push all the way through. Such as, when people paid for something important but they didn't get it in time. They needed to make money off it to make a return, but they couldn't because something happened and that something happened is who gets sued. Maybe like how people die too soon and didn't complete their God will objectives and made it into Hell w/ what some religions say.. but there is still a possibility Hell wasn't made but who knows.

The best example I could give is when Walmart truck drivers pass some period of time where they are late on a deadline, they get sued $1,000. A small example would be getting your food for free for it being late. Another would be when people get store credit or coupons to use later.

To focus upon it more, say a video shoot where people and everything was paid on payroll, hourly, ready to go but someone didn't do their job properly. Everyone still has to get paid and the shoot didn't happen. Therefore, all losses and extra are filed for litigation of those who the loss is to blame.
You need only have queried whether there might be a potential breach of contract implication- Kevin Hart was about as relevant as your later suggestion of god promises or whatever left field journey you almost went on.

Yes- you make a good point with respect to potential consequences of failure to complete work. For any significant jobs obviously a well drafter agreement is important. Wasn't relevant to the OP's questions issue as presented though- you will see that is resolved. You need the correct S/N for the unlock to work.

You need only have queried whether there might be a potential breach of contract implication- Kevin Hart was about as relevant as your later suggestion of god promises or whatever left field journey you almost went on.

Yes- you make a good point with respect to potential consequences of failure to complete work. For any significant jobs obviously a well drafter agreement is important. Wasn't relevant to the OP's questions issue as presented though- you will see that is resolved. You need the correct S/N for the unlock to work.
There also needs to be better DJI documentation about which serial number to use, if it is not just a case of a typo error. As I recall, the serial number on the aircraft and the retail box is not the same as the one displayed in the app, which is the correct one required to be used for the unlock. Is that the issue?

There also needs to be better DJI documentation about which serial number to use, if it is not just a case of a typo error. As I recall, the serial number on the aircraft and the retail box is not the same as the one displayed in the app, which is the correct one required to be used for the unlock. Is that the issue?
It is the flight controller serial number- as depicted in the GO app. The OP had entered the number incorrectly when requesting the unlock.

I mean, the S/N input being wrong didn't matter. What mattered was when he said $15,000 lost. How did they lose $15,000? This is why exaggeration w/o it being clear is bad.

I mean, the S/N input being wrong didn't matter. What mattered was when he said $15,000 lost. How did they lose $15,000? This is why exaggeration w/o it being clear is bad.
The S/n being wrong was all that mattered.
If he'd input the number correctly, this thread wouldn't exist.
The only $15000 lost was the $15K he was counting in advance.
For all we know he may have finished the project and been paid $15K by now.
No-one was sued and no-one lost any money.

This really boils down to knowing your equipment and knowing the specific requirements for the particular job. Both require some advance prep. If you know both, you'll be off to the races!

I think it boils down to having to go hat in hand to DJI every time that company decides you shouldn’t be flying.

Imagine having to approach Ford each time you wanted to drive near a certain area.

Reactions: MaviCam
It is the flight controller serial number- as depicted in the GO app. The OP had entered the number incorrectly when requesting the unlock.
That's what I thought. However, did he accurately enter in the serial number from the aircraft (which won't work!) , or just incorrectly type in the flight controller serial number depicted in the GO 4 app with a typo? I recall lots of early users getting the unlock for their aircraft serial number which would not work when they entered the unlock because it was for the wrong serial number, as they should have been getting the unlock for the GO 4 displayed flight controller serial number.

How did you determine exaggeration is a factor? If we accept the OP’s various comments he lost $15K being the money that it is claimed would have been paid to him if the job was completed. It would seem the serial number being entered wrong matters a lot. Arguably it is the thing that matters most given it was the inability to get the zone authorised and fly that led to failure to complete the job.

That's what I thought. However, did he accurately enter in the serial number from the aircraft (which won't work!) , or just incorrectly type in the flight controller serial number depicted in the GO 4 app with a typo? I recall lots of early users getting the unlock for their aircraft serial number which would not work when they entered the unlock because it was for the wrong serial number, as they should have been getting the unlock for the GO 4 displayed flight controller serial number.
Your guess is as good as mine.

Your guess is as good as mine.
Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed any prior clarification. Hopefully, he'll come back and answer the question himself, so no one else makes the same mistake, as, if it is the former, it is a trap for the unwary that could use better DJI documentation about which serial number is needed when getting an unlock code.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed any prior clarification. Hopefully, he'll come back and answer the question himself, so no one else makes the same mistake, as, if it is the former, it is a trap for the unwary that could use better DJI documentation about which serial number is needed when getting an unlock code.
I’m confused. I can’t see how any additional documentation might be needed or how you could enter the wrong number. The unlock page clearly says to enter the flight controller SN from the go app, even tells you what tab to open. Unless you can’t read and don’t understand the difference between “flight controller” and “camera” you won’t get the wrong number. They are the only two options and only one is the one asked for.

I’m confused. I can’t see how any additional documentation might be needed or how you could enter the wrong number. The unlock page clearly says to enter the flight controller SN from the go app, even tells you what tab to open. Unless you can’t read and don’t understand the difference between “flight controller” and “camera” you won’t get the wrong number. They are the only two options and only one is the one asked for.
Thanks for clarifying that it is now properly documented. Thumbswayup At one time it wasn't, and most got it wrong, until they were specifically told to use a different SN displayed in the app, rather than their aircraft SN. Where I fly, I have never needed it, so I am personally unfamiliar with it.

Reactions: CID
The S/n being wrong was all that mattered.
If he'd input the number correctly, this thread wouldn't exist.
The only $15000 lost was the $15K he was counting in advance.
For all we know he may have finished the project and been paid $15K by now.
No-one was sued and no-one lost any money.
Yeah, in a way the same thing. $15,000 w/ drone work w/ the M2??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM