DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Titan control

Lanj

Reactions
Has anyone experimented with the Titan control on the Mavic air? I know boosted is better but I’m looking for something that improves the Signal and distance that’s compact and I’m trying to decide between the control and 4hawk. The 4hawk SR looks like the bracket is permanently on it which makes it less compact and if i leave the bracket on the controller it won’t fit in the case. I have a nanuk 915 case.

If you install 4hawks, you lose partability of the remote, that **** is permanent modification.

Get the cheap parabolic range extenders, they work and doesnt cost an arm and a leg. You chose air over the pro for the superior camera im guessing and did away with the range option on the pro, right?

If you install 4hawks, you lose partability of the remote, that **** is permanent modification.
Do you know how far out does the bracket stick out from the controller so I know if the controller will fit the nanuk 915 case with the bracket on it. Is the 4hawk antenna easy to take on/off the controller to store?

Get the cheap parabolic range extenders, they work and doesnt cost an arm and a leg. You chose air over the pro for the superior camera im guessing and did away with the range option on the pro, right?
I got the air as my first drone to take videos/ pics of the family when on vacation. I live in high interference are and the parabolic didn’t make much difference.

I got the air as my first drone to take videos/ pics of the family when on vacation. I live in high interference are and the parabolic didn’t make much difference.

When you're on vacation, you'll probably notice much longer range. And pics of your family aren't going to need a 2 mile range... unless you're stalking your ex. In which case that's creepy, but also impressive.

When I'm in town I can get some interference... but when I'm in the mountains, I can fly my Air forever without any interference.

I get you though... the range extenders are tempting... but once you get out of the city, the range is impressive.

I recently returned a Titan switch system for my Mavic Air. Here in Las Vegas the Titan switch was easily beat out by the $8.99 parabolic boosters. I purchased both the 2.4ghz and the 5.8ghz booster and tried both the whip antenna and directional antenna. Additionally, you can forget being portable using the Titan switch.

The footprint quadrupled the size of the remote with the directional antenna installed also, the remote will not fit inside the flymore bag because of the antenna mounting bracket. I spent $960+ bucks and my Mavic Air was barely hitting 10k feet from my home whereas I get 13k with the cheapo parabolic boosters flying the same route. The Titan Switch is a well built system but it just didn’t work for me, doesn’t mean it won’t work for you.

I also tried Drone-worlds MaXX antenna mod for Mavic Air and could barely pull 4K feet so I returned that also. Customer service from both vendors was very good and they were polite and quick to respond when the lines were tied up.

My advice? Check the Mavic Air range leaderboard modded and unmodded, you’ll definitely notice some consistency in what people are using.

I recently returned a Titan switch system for my Mavic Air. Here in Las Vegas the Titan switch was easily beat out by the $8.99 parabolic boosters. I purchased both the 2.4ghz and the 5.8ghz booster and tried both the whip antenna and directional antenna. Additionally, you can forget being portable using the Titan switch.

The footprint quadrupled the size of the remote with the directional antenna installed also, the remote will not fit inside the flymore bag because of the antenna mounting bracket. I spent $960+ bucks and my Mavic Air was barely hitting 10k feet from my home whereas I get 13k with the cheapo parabolic boosters flying the same route. The Titan Switch is a well built system but it just didn’t work for me, doesn’t mean it won’t work for you.

I also tried Drone-worlds MaXX antenna mod for Mavic Air and could barely pull 4K feet so I returned that also. Customer service from both vendors was very good and they were polite and quick to respond when the lines were tied up.

My advice? Check the Mavic Air range leaderboard modded and unmodded, you’ll definitely notice some consistency in what people are using.
I tried the Titan cyclone 2.4 but didn’t work well for me as I was getting almost the same range with stock and it was heavy. I have 2 controllers so I’m trying to have one of them modded with the most portable option and it looks like the FPVLR might have the smallest foot print and I can get a kit to boosted later which will make it not portable at all. I like the 4hawk however that bracket makes it less portable. The unboosted Titan control is a good size but I can’t find any reviews on it with the Mavic air.

I tried the Titan cyclone 2.4 but didn’t work well for me as I was getting almost the same range with stock and it was heavy. I have 2 controllers so I’m trying to have one of them modded with the most portable option and it looks like the FPVLR might have the smallest foot print and I can get a kit to boosted later which will make it not portable at all. I like the 4hawk however that bracket makes it less portable. The unboosted Titan control is a good size but I can’t find any reviews on it with the Mavic air.
I’m interested in the control also. I liked the idea of getting it and if I wanted to I could add the amplified pieces later since all the connectors are the same.

Has anyone experimented with the Titan control on the Mavic air? I know boosted is better but I’m looking for something that improves the Signal and distance that’s compact and I’m trying to decide between the control and 4hawk. The 4hawk SR looks like the bracket is permanently on it which makes it less compact and if i leave the bracket on the controller it won’t fit in the case. I have a nanuk 915 case.

IMHO most of the mods are snake oil except in rare cases. I bought two Titan mods and neither performed as advertised. They ended up in a drawer and I ordered two original replacement remotes.

I also tried the "parabolic" mods and again, snake oil.

Seems to me from experience that LOS is key to distance flying. And taking off from a high location than flight path is absolutely better with respect to distance flying.

Having said that, keep in mind that the mods didn't work for what I asked for, which was to penetrate threw a stand of trees. The manufacturer assured me the Titan mod would, and $500 dollars later, same signal loss at same altitude below the tree line..

That was in my early hours of drone flying. A study of radio waves would be my suggestion. before you buy anything.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, signal strength is a two way street. Boosting the RC is half the battle because you still have the Drone’s signal strength to consider.

Reactions: Brojon
Keep in mind, signal strength is a two way street. Boosting the RC is half the battle because you still have the Drone’s signal strength to consider.

Exactly!

That was the argument I proposed to the rep at Titan. But he assured me that due to my close proximity to the area of interest which was located just beyond a dense stand of trees, the Titan mod would be the fix. In fact he said that the Titan Mod had penetrating ability to pierce through obstructions such as trees. A claim i found to be totally false.

At any rate, I only have myself to blame, as I relied solely on reviews and should have educated myself on radio waves.and frequencies.

Exactly!

That was the argument I proposed to the rep at Titan. But he assured me that due to my close proximity to the area of interest which was located just beyond a dense stand of trees, the Titan mod would be the fix. In fact he said that the Titan Mod had penetrating ability to pierce through obstructions such as trees. A claim i found to be totally false.

At any rate, I only have myself to blame, as I relied solely on reviews and should have educated myself on radio waves.and frequencies.
So your saying you didn’t get any noticeable improvement? Just curious which one of their antennas did you try. I have been close to getting something. I’ve been hoping to get a little more range in the area near my home. It’s pretty hilly when I think is my main problem. My drone is cutting out at about 3500ft max. If I could get 7000ft in this area I would be very happy. I see some people that say these antennas have helped a lot and some say that they haven’t seen any help.

So your saying you didn’t get any noticeable improvement? Just curious which one of their antennas did you try. I have been close to getting something. I’ve been hoping to get a little more range in the area near my home. It’s pretty hilly when I think is my main problem. My drone is cutting out at about 3500ft max. If I could get 7000ft in this area I would be very happy. I see some people that say these antennas have helped a lot and some say that they haven’t seen any help.

I got the same thing reading the reviews which is why I chose them in the first place. The only thing I can say is they didn’t perform as promised.

I will add however, that I can reach near max battery distance with stock antenna by flying from a high altitude takeoff. For example, choosing a home point atop a hill with an unrestricted LOS along my flight path.

As you say, there are posts stating greater distances achieved with the Titan Atlas than what I've experienced, but the common denominator seems to be an unrestricted LOS. Having test equipment to bench test would be great but even that doesn’t factor in interference variables.

In summary, I simply can’t make an absolute statement with regards to antenna performance. I just make the claim that they didn’t work for me; my return on investment was zero.

Last edited:
I got the same thing reading the reviews which is why I chose them in the first place. The only thing I can say is they didn’t perform as promised.

I will add however, that I can reach mear max battery distance with stock antenna by flying from a high altitude takeoff. For example, choosing a home point atop a hill with an unrestricted LOS along my flight path.

As you say, there are posts stating greater distances achieved with the Titan Atlas that I have, but the common denominator seems to be an unrestricted LOS. Having test equipment to bench test would be great but even that doesn’t factor in interference variables.

In summary, I simply can’t make an absolute statement with regards to antenna performance. I just make the claim that they didn’t work for me; my return on investment was zero.
The problem I’m looking to solve is this. Well let me say this first. I can ride out of town and get 8000-10000 ft. BUT, I want to be able to fly around my house a little farther. It’s a little more congested around my house. I can fly out at max to about 3500-4000ft. If I could bump that up to 6000-7000ft I would be the happiest little drone flyer there is. I was going to try to get that switch set up in a few months to see if that would do it. Funds are tight right now. I just got the drone paid for. So then I thought in the mean time I could get the control antenna since it’s cheaper. Then I would have the electronics already in my controller if I upgraded to the power unit in a few months. Do you think it would help me with what I’m looking for judging on your experience? Or are you basically saying that you saw no noticeable improvement.

I will add however, that I can reach mear max battery distance with stock antenna by flying from a high altitude takeoff. For example, choosing a home point atop a hill with an unrestricted LOS along my flight path.

As you say, there are posts stating greater distances achieved with the Titan Atlas that I have, but the common denominator seems to be an unrestricted LOS. Having test equipment to bench test would be great but even that doesn’t factor in interference variables.

Lol I think you pretty much already answered what I ask. I looked back and I basically just ask you the same thing again. I think deep down I’m wanting you to tell me it’s going to work when it’s not. Maybe instead of buying a 200-300 dollar antenna I just need to save up and get that new phantom 2.0

I have done multiple test with the Titan Switch 2.4ghz system for my Mavic Pro and the 5.8ghz system for my Mavic Air. Additionally, I tried both the Omnidirectional antenna, 5dbi and 9dbi amplified and the directional panels. Not worth it in my area. I’m not sure how they perform in a forest environment.

Reactions: buttons276
Lol I think you pretty much already answered what I ask. I looked back and I basically just ask you the same thing again. I think deep down I’m wanting you to tell me it’s going to work when it’s not. Maybe instead of buying a 200-300 dollar antenna I just need to save up and get that new phantom 2.0

What are you flying now?

I have the Raptor SR and XR antenna mods on my Mavic Air and they’ve been great for me. Do I get a perfect flight every single time? No. It depends on where I fly but I did lots of testing when I first got the Raptor installed and it was far better than the stock antennas. I don’t disconnect nearly as much as I used to. Flying in 5 different areas that I had within the 2 weeks before I did the Raptor mod, I was able to gain thousands of feet of range compared to the stock antennas. For me, it’s a win if I can fly to my subject area and maintain a solid video feed so that I can work the controls. I’m not looking to fly out to 12,000 feet...if I only need 3000 feet with a solid signal, then that’s what I get with the Raptor. It’s not about range...it’s about maintaining a lag-free video feed. I’d rather keep it close and get as much footage as I can because the Air is a camera first and a drone second to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga