DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To be connected or not? (that is the question)

Cranky

Reactions
Hello from the UK

Can someone help me with this simple question- Should my phone (Android) or tablet (again Android) be connected to anything other than the Mavic pro while flying? by anything I mean of course the internet, either by sim card or Wi-Fi? does the app or the drone need a connection to the internet to work as intended? If not how does it work with the google maps etc (on display)? should my Android device be in flight mode to stop any interruptions like incoming calls, app updates or notifications etc?

I feel like I should know this already but .....TBH I don't!

I have had some on-screen "non responsive, frozen and delayed control" moments but luckily always managed to get the Mavic back down in one piece, these experiences are spoiling my ideas of longer distance flights for fear of something going wobbly while away off in the distance, any help people would be a great comfort to my confidence.

You don't need any connections (data or wifi) in fact you can put your device in airplane mode to stop any incoming calls/notif. or interruptions.

does the app or the drone need a connection to the internet to work as intended?
The most useful Internet related feature is the ability to download maps in real-time. You can also cache the maps at home before you head out to fly. As long as you're not doing anything else that requires an Internet connection (like streaming your flights in real-time to YouTube), your mobile device does not need to be connected to the Internet when flying.

Thanks Top Hat, I think I kind of knew this would be the case but wanted to put it out there just in case, cheers.

I'm still worried about the "glitches" I have experienced previously, confidence is low at the minute.

Thanks Top Hat, I think I kind of knew this would be the case but wanted to put it out there just in case, cheers.

I'm still worried about the "glitches" I have experienced previously, confidence is low at the minute.
Hey buddy if your getting glitches do not fly until you find out is it you or the device first.. Ask here what is happenning and see if you can get an answer to help you

Reactions: Cranky
FWIW I never fly connected to anything (apart from phone to remote). I’ve been spooked by an ‘aircraft disconnected’ message when my phone started to auto-download an Android update. I cache maps (if needed), close other apps, turn off WiFi and select airplane mode. I like the ‘it’s just the phone and the remote’ feeling. Never had an issue since.

Reactions: Cranky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78