DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To buy or not.

jaysrmc

Reactions
I'm getting paid for a commercial gig. It will cover the cost of the mp2. I just don't know if I should buy it. I use my MP about 3 times a week.

Never crashed. Have more extras than I should. Than I should, I just can decide if the upgrade is worth it. Commercial gigs are about once a month on average of 500 per job. Do you guys honestly think it is worth it. The market is saturated with the MP so I was thinking grab another cheap and wait a year to go with the MP2.

I can get the MP2 with no interest for 6 months or pY it outright... Confused and need u guys to convince me one way or another.

ThanksJ

If the camera/video quality of your MP is sufficient, then no. If you need better quality, then yes. As you mentioned, the market is saturated with the MP so be prepared to lose the gig to someone doing it for 400. If you are getting an average of 500 per month then perhaps you should move up to an inspire to set yourself apart from the competition.

Reactions: Former Member
If the camera/video quality of your MP is sufficient, then no. If you need better quality, then yes. As you mentioned, the market is saturated with the MP so be prepared to lose the gig to someone doing it for 400. If you are getting an average of 500 per month then perhaps you should move up to an inspire to set yourself apart from the competition.
I thought about the inspire but it's too big to carry in the mountains where I inspect oil and gas pipelines. Sometime I have to take a dirt bike and other times I get dropped of by helicopter And came for a week at a time while I spent the lines. Thank so much for ur suggestion. You took time out of ur day to help so I top my hat to u sir.

I thought about the inspire but it's too big to carry in the mountains where I inspect oil and gas pipelines. Sometime I have to take a dirt bike and other times I get dropped of by helicopter And camp for a week at a time while I spent the lines. Thank so much for ur suggestion. You took time out of ur day to help so I top my hat to u sir.

You are quite welcome. A folding drone sounds like it would work best for your application. I am guessing the quality of the original MP would be good enough for pipeline inspections. I would save the cash and wait a bit for DJI to get the M2 firmware/software issues worked out.

You are quite welcome. A folding drone sounds like it would work best for your application. I am guessing the quality of the original MP would be good enough for pipeline inspections. I would save the cash and wait a bit for DJI to get the M2 firmware/software issues worked out.
I think ur right.

Only you can answer that question by answering if your clients would care for the the improvement that covers the different. Check any of the many comparison videos that are online (i.e. DJI Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 Drone Video Comparison #2 and many more ) and see if the improvement quality is something that you / your customers would care for. Also see if any of the missing features would impact your work / work-flow (i.e. Video files no longer contain GPS info - a big item that may be critical for you).

For O&G, are they using the video for inspection or for marketing / promos? For inspection only footage, they may not care (or even see ) on the difference. For company marketing footage, would be a different story.

I would think the MP would be good enough. But If your itching for the new drone with the better camera. I say go for it.

Nothing wrong with the MP.

Only you can answer that question by answering if your clients would care for the the improvement that covers the different. Check any of the many comparison videos that are online (i.e. DJI Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 Drone Video Comparison #2 and many more ) and see if the improvement quality is something that you / your customers would care for. Also see if any of the missing features would impact your work / work-flow (i.e. Video files no longer contain GPS info - a big item that may be critical for you).

For O&G, are they using the video for inspection or for marketing / promos? For inspection only footage, they may not care (or even see ) on the difference. For company marketing footage, would be a different story.
The GPS is critical for me when Doing pipelines

They just want video to make sure no rust is forming.

If you're doing routine inspections at the same locations, you'll probably want to use waypoints. Not yet available on the M2 but promised to come soon. Zoom may be useful here.

@jaysrmc Do you currently have a backup drone? If not, then I would buy an MP as a backup, and skip the M2 for now. Also skip the P4 series altogether, too bulky for transport. Ive been flying my M2P and M2Z, and they are Mavics but with a few more bells and whistles. Still Mavics but heavier, and no accessories yet, but @fstop.labs is working on some.

As @Mossiback said, if you have something that works, and the MP is doing the trick, then dance with the one that brung ya.

@sar104 and @Thunderdrones and @acjay thoughts? U guys are pretty much the guys I trust on this.

I'm not sure there's much I can add. The primary difference between the MP and the M2P is obviously image and video quality. The zoom on the M2Z seems unlikely to have enough reach to make any significant difference, and is offset by the much poorer sensor. The MP is a solid platform and pretty much unrivaled in terms of portability. It's a bit too early to know if there are any real technical issues with the M2P. So far it looks pretty good, with just a few isolated reports of failures that are sparse enough just to be typical manufacturing variation with mass-produced products.

As others have concluded, it probably comes down to whether you need the increased dynamic range, lower noise, and higher image resolution.

@jaysrmc Do you currently have a backup drone? If not, then I would buy an MP as a backup, and skip the M2 for now. Also skip the P4 series altogether, too bulky for transport. Ive been flying my M2P and M2Z, and they are Mavics but with a few more bells and whistles. Still Mavics but heavier, and no accessories yet, but @fstop.labs is working on some.

As @Mossiback said, if you have something that works, and the MP is doing the trick, then dance with the one that brung ya.

Why do you recommend the MP over the M2?

because its heavier and no accessories yet ?

the weight makes it more stable in flight and accessory are being released all the time.

I'm not sure there's much I can add. The primary difference between the MP and the M2P is obviously image and video quality. The zoom on the M2Z seems unlikely to have enough reach to make any significant difference, and is offset by the much poorer sensor. The MP is a solid platform and pretty much unrivaled in terms of portability. It's a bit too early to know if there are any real technical issues with the M2P. So far it looks pretty good, with just a few isolated reports of failures that are sparse enough just to be typical manufacturing variation with mass-produced products.

As others have concluded, it probably comes down to whether you need the increased dynamic range, lower noise, and higher image resolution.

Thumbswayup

the weight makes it more stable in flight and accessory are being released all the time.

I dont recommend it to everyone, but the OP uses it for commercial work, and might not have a backup drone. He should spend some money and buy a 2nd drone instead of putting all his eggs in 1 basket on the M2. Having a backup drone is redundancy so you dont lose a shoot.

The M2 is the best drone DJI ever made if you use all the features it has.

Reactions: peros550 and sar104

The extra weight makes is stable, period. It's like a floating aircraft carrier. Amazing how quiet, powerful and stealthy it is. I look at it sitting in the box sometimes and think Im not worthy to own it. But that will pass.

Reactions: microlinux
I will give my professional opinion, after I do a short study and prepare some graphs for you. How does $450 sound? :D

I agree, it's much more stable than the MP. Even just hovering to land, it's close to perfectly stationary. The LEDs really help in the dark, plus it looks kind of cool when they turn on . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d