DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To light or not to light (In the UK)? And some protection?

Thanks Thumbswayup

Having thought about it, I might invest in one (or the pair of smaller ones suggested above), see what the difference it makes is (both on vis and performance) and take it from there. Not flying in rain though! ?

Especially for drones the size of the Mini, DJI should implement a strobe(s) on the unit.

Many times, I simply couldn't find it visually, especially against complex backgrounds like trees. My Firehouse strobe solves this nearly completely at the cost of some operational complexity. (mount/dismount, charge, transport)

Zero changes observed in flight characteristics or performance with the strobe attached. I did turn if off when flying low over water to avoid photographing strobe reflections.

Last edited:
Good plan. I have velco on the bottom and the rear - so I can choose where to have the strobe (or not to have it) depending on the flight plan.

And no skin would persuade me to fly it in the rain.

Came across this belly mount for the Strobon Standalone, anyone using it? (won't bother with the leg extensions)

(only because I don't like the idea of sticking velcro on the drone ? )

Last edited:
Came across this belly mount for the Flytron Standalone, anyone using it? (won't bother with the leg extensions)

(only because I don't like the idea of sticking velcro on the drone [emoji1] )

Honestly. Those mounts are great but it’s much less hassle to use a 3M dot. They’re transparent too so they don’t stick out too much.

I had some mounts for my phantom and it was just a pain clipping them on and off.

The strobon crees are so small adding a mount is more likely to affect flight than a hook and loop dot.

Plus something else to carry with you.

Honestly. Those mounts are great but it’s much less hassle to use a 3M dot. They’re transparent too so they don’t stick out too much.

I had some mounts for my phantom and it was just a pain clipping them on and off.

The strobon crees are so small adding a mount is more likely to affect flight than a hook and loop dot.

Plus something else to carry with you.
True. Plenty of 3M velcro sitting around too!

Thanks

True. Plenty of 3M velcro sitting around too!

Thanks

I bought their other stuff that’s not the fabric. It’s the little plastic hooks on both sides - the adhesive is a bit like a gel too which moulds to whatever it’s stuck to.

Yes, noticed they sell the Dual Lock type fasteners (which I have primarily seen used in blinds' decorative mouldings previously).

Problem is, I measured between the QuickTransfer button and the downward sensors and it's only 11mm, so at the stated 18mm of the Strobon width, it won't fit. Only other alternative I can see is to put very thin strips on the ventilation grills, but that will compromise cooling?

FWIR - people have used the battery door as a mounting point for one at the rear and on top for another one.

Makes sense, but IMHO, the belly is the most practical position as it will almost always be seen. TBH I don't see why people would mount a led on the top (at least for the purpose of visibility from the ground).

Makes sense, but IMHO, the belly is the most practical position as it will almost always be seen. TBH I don't see why people would mount a led on the top (at least for the purpose of visibility from the ground).
Not sure either - perhaps as a 'warning' in possible zones - or if it lands and you can't find it ;)

The Cree's are SO bight I'd think you'd see the top one too if you aren't flying really high.

Yep, Firehouse ARC Vs are amazing. Easily 3km at night. Much less on a bright day - but still 1km. I have 2 on my Air 2 for this reason. I had the smaller strobon strobes on my mini 1, with about half the visibility of the ARC V.
Imports from the USA are delayed by a couple of weeks - so expect a month to deliver anything.

I'd also recommend a dark coloured (or red/orange) skin, grey is the worst colour for a drone. Skins increase vlos by about 100-200m - about 30% more visual range.

I'm also a UK based MM2 owner.
I've got a strobe (a no brand one off ebay) which keeps me just under 250g (important in the UK as it lets you fly in the A1 category).

I've only done a couple of flights ( lockdown :-( ) but it did really help with visibility and I didn't notice any battery or performance effects.

Without it I often found the mini hard to refind when only a few 100m away.
Personally I'd recommend a strobe.

Of course, a spotter and superb powers of concentration are both wonderful assets!
But if you're not blessed with either, a strobe is handy too.
Thanks, have you a link for the strobe?

Came across this belly mount for the Strobon Standalone, anyone using it? (won't bother with the leg extensions)

(only because I don't like the idea of sticking velcro on the drone ? )
I use the Flytron Standalone Cree from here in the UK with the underside mount, links are all in this video and I can highly recommend:

My setup firehouse technology “Dual Strobe”
You could install a 2nd one on top and still be under 249g

Attachments

• D594E1BC-A0F6-4FB3-8010-97CE8B1E1549.jpeg
    D594E1BC-A0F6-4FB3-8010-97CE8B1E1549.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • 2670D981-F3E0-4F6B-8AB9-56DFA7F7DD4C.jpeg
    2670D981-F3E0-4F6B-8AB9-56DFA7F7DD4C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
  • 1648B8C0-87C8-488B-BBAE-92CC0EBA9D8E.jpeg
    1648B8C0-87C8-488B-BBAE-92CC0EBA9D8E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • D4756886-7652-4366-827E-895A82E92C9C.jpeg
    D4756886-7652-4366-827E-895A82E92C9C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 0429C577-BCFF-4177-B6F6-11EF2C4F4497.jpeg
    0429C577-BCFF-4177-B6F6-11EF2C4F4497.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Thanks ZippyDo, exactly what I would like to achieve.

Couple questions:
- does it interfere with the downward sensors where positioned?
- when landing, presumably the strobe touches the ground instead of the back rests: have you experienced any issues with that?

Also, you put it in payload mode presumably to fly with the light?

I've done the same as ZippyDo. Got the strobe fom flytron here in the UK and happy with it.
Weighs 3 grams and when fitted I land the Mini 2 on my outstretched palm therefore not touching the ground.

Reactions: mADsAILOR
I've done the same as ZippyDo. Got the strobe fom flytron here in the UK and happy with it.
Weighs 3 grams and when fitted I land the Mini 2 on my outstretched palm therefore not touching the ground.
Cheers Yogi. Guess hand take-off and landing does away with the extra clearance needed. Any issues with the sensors?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada