DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To @mp or not to @mp the right side?

Fantastic signal with just the one side lit. Not enough battery in a flight to outrun it. Would it even help or benefit to light the right side up? other than for looks?

View attachment 68491View attachment 68492
If the MP2 controller antennas are the same as the MP1 controller antennas the right one is for Rx and the left one is for Tx. Most all of the amps discussed are Bi Amps meaning they amplify both the Tx & Rx. The two Atlas's internal amps work in reverse so the one on the right amplifies the Rx from the AC and the left amplifies the Tx to the AC. I assume the Titan Atlas booster made for the MP will also work on the MP2 as long as you use 2.4Ghz only on the MP2. Im going to mod my MP2 controller so I can use the Atlas on it and my MP.

Last edited:
If the MP2 controller antennas are the same as the MP1 controller antennas the right one is for Rx and the left one is for Tx. Most all of the amps discussed are Bi Amps meaning they amplify both the Tx & Rx. The two Atlas's internal amps are reversed so the one on the right amplifies the Rx from the AC and the left amplifies the Tx to the AC.
Left antenna on the Mavic is TX/Rx. You can completely unplugged the right antenna all together and it makes zero change to signal strength. It is a diversity channel.

This is not a combiner at least in the RF world. This is only an adaptor. You are paralleling two RF 50 ohm loads (Antennas). This may harm the amplifier because the load impedance is now 25 ohms instead of 50. Besides that the RF power output will be divided in half between two antennas. I doubt there will be any increase in range with two antennas anyway. I recommend sticking with one antenna type depending on your conditions.
47 yrs RF Engineer w/Motorola

This is not a combiner at least in the RF world. This is only an adaptor. You are paralleling two RF 50 ohm loads (Antennas). This may harm the amplifier because the load impedance is now 25 ohms instead of 50. Besides that the RF power output will be divided in half between two antennas. I doubt there will be any increase in range with two antennas anyway. I recommend sticking with one antenna type depending on your conditions.
I mentioned this, splitting the 2.4ghz signal like that to an old Army radio guy, his response was “if you had a ten inch *****, would you cut it in half?” Lol well the old fella has a valid point.

Reactions: Jeffm912
AGREE, if I unscrew the omni's and use just the directional I do get better distance if that's what I was shooting for. (works best when RC is in an open area.)
I mainly use the omni + directional at the same time when I am flying from / around trees and residential / wifi congested areas. (like my back yard)
I have had about 13 flights this year and 6 have been using omni+directional; no damage to the amps so far and the temps are staying low. Signal is great!

Reactions: Texas Mavic
So what you are telling me is that I can. but it makes no diff? lol
It may or may not help. Remember almost all of the 2.4ghz amps are Bi-Amps which means they not only amplify the TX of the MP controller but also amplify the received signal from the AC. So if you install one on the right side it will amplify the received signal. The Titan Atlas power booster works like this with two identical internal amps.

It may or may not help. Remember almost all of the 2.4ghz amps are Bi-Amps which means they not only amplify the TX of the MP controller but also amplify the received signal from the AC. So if you install one on the right side it will amplify the received signal. The Titan Atlas power booster works like this with two identical internal amps.
This is true, however on long range runs, neither is necessary. Why and how aren’t clear to me, but that’s the way it seems to work for a lot of modders.

Reactions: Jeffm912
AGREE, if I unscrew the omni's and use just the directional I do get better distance if that's what I was shooting for. (works best when RC is in an open area.)
I mainly use the omni + directional at the same time when I am flying from / around trees and residential / wifi congested areas. (like my back yard)
I have had about 13 flights this year and 6 have been using omni+directional; no damage to the amps so far and the temps are staying low. Signal is great!
Good to hear. I guess the amps are a more forgiving design now.
What we use to say is:
“Proof’s in the Pudding”
So what ever works by experimentation that info helps us all alot.

Good to hear. I guess the amps are a more forgiving design now.
What we use to say is:
“Proof’s in the Pudding”
So what ever works by experimentation that info helps us all alot.
I believe it was tested pretty thoroughly by a few members. The determination was short range runs benefit with both sides rolling. And for WHATEVER reason, it’s unclear to me, however it seems to be something with the right sides purpose of diversity, long range runs will perform with both the AC and RC Rx side completely unplugged. Just a word to the wise, do not run an amp without an antenna or dummy load adapter.
I am not sure if anyone has bench tested the Alientech and the other seemingly dual boosted internal amp antennas, but the engineers of those companies HAVE TO HAVE a reasonable explanation at what amplifying the right side does. My guess is exactly what I stated earlier, short range runs benefit the application of dual amps. Why not cover all the bases when it comes to production.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev