DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TOAL in a town centre (at night as well)...

Paul Iddon

Reactions
Taking the drone up above a town or city centre to have a little look around (night lights for instance)... would you TOAL from the roof of a building - say, the top floor of a multi-storey car park, or from the ground in a good open space with plenty of visibility (an open grassy area or such)?

Paul.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Taking the drone up above a town or city centre to have a little look around (night lights for instance)... would you TOAL from the roof of a building - say, the top floor of a multi-storey car park, or from the ground in a good open space with plenty of visibility (an open grassy area or such)?

Paul.
Hi Paul, Personally I have done both and each gives it's own perspective. From the top of my parking structure I can go up another 400 feet for an awesome view, yet, launching from ground level puts me amid the lights of the buildings. I can't choose between the two. I'd like to see the footage you capture from each of the two launch points.

Hi Paul, Personally I have done both and each gives it's own perspective. From the top of my parking structure I can go up another 400 feet for an awesome view, yet, launching from ground level puts me amid the lights of the buildings. I can't choose between the two. I'd like to see the footage you capture from each of the two launch points.

I need to get the confidence to do it first, lol...

Paul

Whether or not it is legal in the UK will, I think, depends on the weight of the drone and you may be limited to an under 250g drone.
As for height, all legal height limits in the UK in a 'flat area' are measured from the ground beneath the drone { AGL}, there is no ( building height +AGL allowance). In a 'hilly town' within 400ft of the closest ground might apply.
Besides, I think that the ( building height +AGL allowance) in the USA applies to their "part 107" qualified pilots and applies only within 400ft horizontal feet of a structure. Beyond that distance I believe it reverts to AGL only.

In addition it would be advisable to get the building / land owner's permission.
I would be wary of taking off from a building because of steel in the structure affecting the drone compass etc. or, at the very least, check that the artificial-horizon/attitude-indicator/radar indicates that the non flying drone is pointing in the correct direction.
I would also suggest third party insurance would be wise, personally the "what if something went wrong" considerations mean I have not and would not attempt such a flight.

As for ground level launching/catching, I would be wary of attracting the attention of revellers/drunks.

Launching from a steel roof or any reinforced concrete structure is very risky and should be avoided.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229