DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today it was my turn (The thread I hoped never to make!)

Glad to hear you got it recovered. I had a similar bad day two weeks ago, when I took my eye off the Mavic and put it backwards into a tree. Luckily, re-connecting the gimbal plate was all I needed to do.
If I have any interested passers by, I always take the Mavic down and hover it at eye level, so they can see what it is and what it does. They are far too expensive to leave unattended. A bit like children really....:D

It had nothing to do with the stranger. You know it doesn't have rear collision avoidance so you only fly backward when you know nothing is behind you can hit. Duh
I know that. The comments were meant to be ironic. It was my fault entirely. My attempt at black humour.

Update: Took it out flying this morning and all seemed well. Until I viewed the video. Gimbal was working fine but there was a lot of jelly (jello) wobble on the video. Tried all the usual suggestions - Recalibrate gimbal, IMU, compass, camera and it is still there. OK, must be the new props I put on so I took them off and it was still there.

Now the weird bit, at the start of one video before I started the motors I noticed it there too. So I did another video with the motors off and it just sitting on the ground, and the b*****y ripple effect can still be seen. So it's not props nor motors. I'm at a loss now so I fear it may have to be sent off to a repair shop after all.

Here's the video with the motors off and it just sitting on the ground.

Last edited:
My mom taught me to never talk to strangers. :)

Actually , anything that diverts your attention should be fingers off sticks to maintain a hover.

Hope you get it rebuilt and repaired in a jiffy!
Just checked the flight log and it seems it WAS heading towards the river before it stopped just short...

Glad to hear that the damage wasn't worse. Like driving a car, probably best not to text and get distracted while flying a drone. As others have said, when you are not paying attention to the drone take your fingers off the joy sticks and let it hover.

Hi phg1949, Ive flown over Ludlow castle a few times in my Phantom 3 pro, always lovely scenes from there, glad you found your drone

Went out flying this morning to get some shots of Ludlow Castle (on the England - Wales) border. Got some lovely video and decided to go down the hill and get some more along the river which runs below the castle.

All was going well when a passer by stopped for a chat and was interested in what I was doing. Very friendly, so I was showing him what the drone could do.
The American equivalent is a " hold my beer - watch this ..." story ;)

Reactions: ac0j
I am happy your bird is up and running again I have had my bird hovering at 400 feet deciding what I wanted to do and suddenly it appeared I had interference my screen was flipping out.but this wasn't the fact suddenly it stopped. the recording was still going and able to recognize a landmark where it was. I have retrieved my mavic, the front landing gear was bent heated and straightened it and then realized the front left motor stopped working that was the cause. but i was still impressed at 400 feet dropped on dry hard ground clay. I could have flown it again if it wasn't for the motor. I replaced that arm and motor and ribbon cable and all was well

Went out flying this morning to get some shots of Ludlow Castle (on the England - Wales) border. Got some lovely video and decided to go down the hill and get some more along the river which runs below the castle.

All was going well when a passer by stopped for a chat and was interested in what I was doing. Very friendly, so I was showing him what the drone could do.

Until I started flying is backwards............!!!!!

I'm now waiting for Mr Amazon to deliver a new gimbal ribbon cable and gimbal damping board tomorrow. Hey ho! Could have been much worse as it landed only a couple of metres from the deep, fast flowing, freezing cold river.

I suppose it was my lucky day.

Ok guys greetings from Panama. The one thing I have learned from the forum is to take on board all I read and then yes I make a mistake. Same think happen to me this week. Bringing my drone home to land on a 12” wall and low and behold a tourist comes and starts talking to me and I crash land falls upside down on the beach. Shame on me I said. Now I tell people I will talk them went I have landed.

I always have a VO EVERYTIME I fly. This way has saved my rear from multiple potential crashes. The camera faces only one way, forward. An extra pair of eyes is always helpful. Safe Flying.

Excellent good relations, nicely done.

Another good thing to get, one of those flying vests, which basically/politely says "don't approach/stand clear/don't start talking" until the vest wearer/pilot has landed. When we're flying, one of our responsibilities as a Remote PIC, is to maintain our "sterile cockpit." And that goes for ourselves as well, I.e. resist the urge to start making friendly relations until we get back on the ground safely and securely. Let the vest do the initial talking for our situation, and we'll sort out the rest once landed.

All the best,

Reactions: Classic flyer
Excellent good relations, nicely done.

Another good thing to get, one of those flying vests, which basically/politely says "don't approach/stand clear/don't start talking" until the vest wearer/pilot has landed. When we're flying, one of our responsibilities as a Remote PIC, is to maintain our "sterile cockpit." And that goes for ourselves as well, I.e. resist the urge to start making friendly relations until we get back on the ground safely and securely. Let the vest do the initial talking for our situation, and we'll sort out the rest once landed.

All the best,
Couldn't have said any better than that!

The saddest part is the scared little camera shakes the Mavic does after a traumatic crash.

It had nothing to do with the stranger. You know it doesn't have rear collision avoidance so you only fly backward when you know nothing is behind you can hit. Duh
This coming from a guy that was saying he lost his mavic? No need to be a jerk to the OP. You must have never made a mistake in your life so DUH to us all. I bid you good day, sir!

One needs to be concentrated to the max in order to avoid crash.
I know, every time when I was in danger it was because I was not concentrated on my MP 100%.

Reactions: D5smith
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69