DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too close for comfort?

emvision

Reactions
I don't know the story on this - the pilot may or may not have been granted permission to fly around the balloon launch. Still, pretty dicey in my opinion. Full disclosure, I flew at the launch also, but from 1/2 mile away and in the opposite direction of the wind with permission from the organizers.785097851078511

My take on this is that the risk of endangering innocent people is too high. If your drone was to damage a balloon it could be both a personal and financial disaster. That said, I'm sure people risk it.

Highly depends on the circumstance.
But agreed, a little too close.

Okay, I did a little investigation and discovered that a local drone company has a booth at the fair and has permission to film the balloons - the balloon pilots are all in on the arrangement and the operators have taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety. Phew.

Reactions: Bobvt and pmshop
Based on the ropes, it looks like the balloons are all still tied to the ground and are not flying. So if the drone hit a balloon, the passenger basket would not be falling to the ground.

Reactions: pmshop
Okay, I did a little investigation and discovered that a local drone company has a booth at the fair and has permission to film the balloons - the balloon pilots are all in on the arrangement and the operators have taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety. Phew.

Love to talk with them.
Gain some tips and tricks with safety in those circumstances.

Reactions: dbrown
Based on the ropes, it looks like the balloons are all still tied to the ground and are not flying. So if the drone hit a balloon, the passenger basket would not be falling to the ground.

Good eye!

Only one of the balloons (red, yellow, and blue one in the second pic) looks like it's set up for a top-tether. Most of the other ropes shown appear to be the crown lines, which will hang down like that even in flight. Though all of them appear to be on, or very close to, the ground.

Given the materials that balloons are made from, it's unlikely that a strike from the props would do any damage. Maybe a small cut from a fixed-prop drone. However, since hot air balloons are also considered aircraft (notice the registration numbers on both balloons in the second pic), an FAA incident report would have to be filed and the balloon would possibly need to be inspected at a certified repair station.

Reactions: Haygenda
As usual here people are quick to point the finger and make accusations without having any real information. You can't really even tell how close the drone is to the balloons. Telephoto lenses compress distance. In at least the top two photos the drone looks like it's fairly far away from the balloons.

As usual here people are quick to point the finger and make accusations without having any real information. You can't really even tell how close the drone is to the balloons. Telephoto lenses compress distance. In at least the top two photos the drone looks like it's fairly far away from the balloons.

Even with post #9 quick to judge :D

Except installing propellor guards on the phantom, ensuring it doesn't get damaged if the balloon got to close...lol

My take on this is that the risk of endangering innocent people is too high. If your drone was to damage a balloon it could be both a personal and financial disaster. That said, I'm sure people risk it.
Keep an offshore acct. and it would only hurt half as much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman