DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too much?

That's a lot of batteries!! Are any of them the plus batteries?

That's a lot of batteries!! Are any of them the plus batteries?
6Plus 4Short. I just got the shorts because I'm going to do a drone driving trip from Phoenix to Fairbanks in April and wanted to be able to fly in Canada. I normally have 5 batteries for each of my drones but ended up with 6 on the Mini 4Pro and added the 4small batteries. It's more than I need as my Mavic 3Pro is my main drone ;( :) I'm used to recharging as the day goes on with each drone but I think I'm done with that nonsense with my Mini 4 Pro LOL.

Reactions: WanderLost
Since flying in cold weather taxes the batteries more, more is good! Having a backup drone is nice too.

Looks like an FPV where there is no such thing as too many batteries. But for your Mini, probably not too much but I have 6 for Mavic 3 Pro and it's overkill because it really hard to fly thru all those batteries in one sitting. Makes sense for road trip though.

Reactions: Rchawks
6Plus 4Short. I just got the shorts because I'm going to do a drone driving trip from Phoenix to Fairbanks in April and wanted to be able to fly in Canada. I normally have 5 batteries for each of my drones but ended up with 6 on the Mini 4Pro and added the 4small batteries. It's more than I need as my Mavic 3Pro is my main drone ;( :) I'm used to recharging as the day goes on with each drone but I think I'm done with that nonsense with my Mini 4 Pro LOL.
Awesome. How do you charge 10 batteries before going out? I assume you have more than one charger? I bought an Ecoflow battery backup to charge my Matrice M30 batteries in the field. It can charge 8 batteries before needing a recharge.

They never get all discharged. I have two cigarette lighter chargers that I use to keep things charged during day of flying.

...I'm going to do a drone driving trip from Phoenix to Fairbanks in April and wanted to be able to fly in Canada.
That's going to be an amazing trip. We did a road trip from here in Vancouver BC to Alaska this past summer. If you get a chance take BC highway 37 and make the side trip along 37A to Stewart (you can make highway 37 part of a circle route by going north on 97 and south on 37, or vice versa). There are some beautiful waterfalls along that highway. And if you have the time to go "around the corner" from Stewart into Hyder Alaska you can drive up to the Salmon Glacier, which is quite spectacular.

And the area around the northernmost Little Gold Creek border crossing on the "Top of the World" highway was also really beautiful, it was endless rolling hills. We were favoured with scattered clouds that gave a sun-dappled aspect to it all that was really memorable.

So, you have ten batteries. That’s about 5 hours of flight time (I don’t know the capacity of “short” batteries, assuming “shorts” is not referring to the article of clothing you wear while flying!)

Do you have 5 hours of daylight up there around the Arctic Circle? I didn’t see an F.A.A. approved strobe in that case! Or have you found a place in our country where the long arm of the law prefers to let the environment punish miscreants? And how much longer does twilight linger up there? Longer than our “30” minutes?

Lastly, what do you do with your depleted batteries, put them in a pocket for warmth? And which pocket?

Or do you just huddle around the stack of them at the end of the day to thaw out?

You should extend your trip south to the East Coast and visit your droner friends across the country. You’d be received warmly wherever you visit, if you can stand balmy temperatures.

I’ll take you out for some southern barbecue.

That's going to be an amazing trip. We did a road trip from here in Vancouver BC to Alaska this past summer...
Here's a couple of frame grabs from my Mini 3 Pro footage taken on our trip:

Waterfalls on the highway to Stewart
Waterfalls.jpg

Rolling countryside near the "Top of the World" highway border crossing
Top-of-the-World.jpg

So, you have ten batteries. That’s about 5 hours of flight time (I don’t know the capacity of “short” batteries, assuming “shorts” is not referring to the article of clothing you wear while flying!)

Do you have 5 hours of daylight up there around the Arctic Circle? I didn’t see an F.A.A. approved strobe in that case! Or have you found a place in our country where the long arm of the law prefers to let the environment punish miscreants? And how much longer does twilight linger up there? Longer than our “30” minutes?

Lastly, what do you do with your depleted batteries, put them in a pocket for warmth? And which pocket?

Or do you just huddle around the stack of them at the end of the day to thaw out?

You should extend your trip south to the East Coast and visit your droner friends across the country. You’d be received warmly wherever you visit, if you can stand balmy temperatures.

I’ll take you out for some southern barbecue.
On April 20 Fairbanks will have about 16hr of daylight. We'll be south of that so I'm not sure how much. I'm well south of the Arctic Circle. Fairbanks is around Lat 65 I think. We get down to around 4hr of twighlight in winter. I don't fly in the dark. Nothing around here worth it. In the winter I fly from inside my car, parking in the direction I'm going to fly. At -20F that's the only way to go. I love the heat as long as it doesn't go above 70F....My wife refuses to ride her bike much above 70F LOL. (true).

I see you have your batteries numbered. I know there's a way to determine the charge on your battery but I did this method:

mini4procase.jpeg

Learned it from here:

On April 20 Fairbanks will have about 16hr of daylight. We'll be south of that so I'm not sure how much. I'm well south of the Arctic Circle. Fairbanks is around Lat 65 I think. We get down to around 4hr of twighlight in winter. I don't fly in the dark. Nothing around here worth it. In the winter I fly from inside my car, parking in the direction I'm going to fly. At -20F that's the only way to go. I love the heat as long as it doesn't go above 70F....My wife refuses to ride her bike much above 70F LOL. (true).

Make **** sure you're maintaining VLOS @akdrone. You do know the FAA maintains a 30-person Rapid Response Task Force in Fairbanks to ensure no recreational drone pilots violate any of the rules, especially outside of town in the crowded wilderness airspace.

😁

Looks like an FPV where there is no such thing as too many batteries. But for your Mini, probably not too much but I have 6 for Mavic 3 Pro and it's overkill because it really hard to fly thru all those batteries in one sitting. Makes sense for road trip though.
I have 5 batteries for my mavic 3 Enterprise. I seem to end up only using 4 by the time i'm done doing whatever I'm doing.

Make **** sure you're maintaining VLOS @akdrone. You do know the FAA maintains a 30-person Rapid Response Task Force in Fairbanks to ensure no recreational drone pilots violate any of the rules, especially outside of town in the crowded wilderness airspace.

😁
Humorously the closest call I have ever had involved me flying behind my wife and dog as they took a walk through the Chena Flood control project. I was filming them and watching my drone (at about 50 feet) when I heard a very faint sound to my left. There was a stol plane flying at ... 50mph....at no more than 100feet up. He was maybe 1000 feet to the side. I was shocked at how quiet he was. I thought for a moment he was going to land but he didn't. My DJI FPV could fly faster than whatever speed he was going. For no particular reason I brought my drone down and back to me. It was a good lesson. People often think their drone is entirely safe under 400 feet. Not really....

I have 5 batteries for my mavic 3 Enterprise. I seem to end up only using 4 by the time i'm done doing whatever I'm doing.
That's why I have mine numbered so I can cycle through them. I check occasionally to see that I'm not using one more often than others which I still do...so I then try to start using the less used battery(s) more often and keep things balanced out.

That's why I have mine numbered so I can cycle through them. I check occasionally to see that I'm not using one more often than others which I still do...so I then try to start using the less used battery(s) more often and keep things balanced out.
LOL. That's what I do as well. Except I put the dates I puchased them on , instead of numbers.

Humorously the closest call I have ever had involved me flying behind my wife and dog as they took a walk through the Chena Flood control project. I was filming them and watching my drone (at about 50 feet) when I heard a very faint sound to my left. There was a stol plane flying at ... 50mph....at no more than 100feet up. He was maybe 1000 feet to the side. I was shocked at how quiet he was. I thought for a moment he was going to land but he didn't. My DJI FPV could fly faster than whatever speed he was going. For no particular reason I brought my drone down and back to me. It was a good lesson. People often think their drone is entirely safe under 400 feet. Not really....
I actually spent a lot of money on an Alientech DUO 3 powered transmitter for my RC so I can keep my aircraft slightly lower (below tree lines and roof of homes and buildings) , especially if an aircraft is approaching. The antenna allows the signal to break through the tree line and roof tops better. I can now get my drone to fly lower than the obstacles an airplane has to avoid, keeping the drone and manned aircraft safe.

They always advertise range increases for these things, but it's not just about range. It's about flying lower at maximum VLOS. Yeah, the range increase is insane, and also allows the drone to fly much lower the further away you get, but I primarily use the antenna to escape oncoming aircraft by flying into/below the tree lines and rooftops.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2