DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Toronto Mavic Owner: where can I fly?

Answer regarding 250g less are here in my post: Toronto Mavic Owner: where can I fly?

However, even though you can (as they are toys) you still have to be responsible. That means, if you are not responsible and cause any risk (even if its a toy) then your going to be legally responsible.

Id' also add... think about this - if your flying a drone, people around you do NOT know its 250g or less... get ready to talk to the cops as you will get people calling it in :) .... so just be ready to expect that .. OH and also understand that when the police are called,the know the bylaws but transport canada laws and drone laws i'm pretty sure most do not (based on conversations i have had with them). so be prepped to prepare yourself with transport canada documentations, the rules, cars etc, have the printed out, ready to hand over.

Reactions: Thomas B
Id' also add... think about this - if your flying a drone, people around you do NOT know its 250g or less... get ready to talk to the cops as you will get people calling it in :) .... so just be ready to expect that .. OH and also understand that when the police are called,the know the bylaws but transport canada laws and drone laws i'm pretty sure most do not (based on conversations i have had with them). so be prepped to prepare yourself with transport canada documentations, the rules, cars etc, have the printed out, ready to hand over.
Even in the U.S. I carry FAA permissions and documents with me... just in case of a challenge.

Even in the U.S. I carry FAA permissions and documents with me... just in case of a challenge.

Yeah when they see my 3" binder and all my gear they tend to realize ... "Hmm maybe this guy knows what he's talking about" and give you a chance to prove yourself...and then usually 5 minutes later your back flying..

Reactions: MavicPeter
So are the new Canadian Rules for controlled airspace now set at 5.5 Km for airports and 1.9 Km for heliports? The reason I want to confirm is because the Drone site selection tool still shows the airports being set at 9.2 Kms?

So are the new Canadian Rules for controlled airspace now set at 5.5 Km for airports and 1.9 Km for heliports? The reason I want to confirm is because the Drone site selection tool still shows the airports being set at 9.2 Kms?

The 5.5km is the MINIMUM for flying near any airport...think of a small farm airport... However most major airports have CONTROL ZONES...CLASS C AIRSPACE that extends to the ground... And you are not allowed to fly your drone in class c...this could 9.2km, 15km whatever it says on the VFR maps.

The 5.5km is the MINIMUM for flying near any airport...think of a small farm airport... However most major airports have CONTROL ZONES...CLASS C AIRSPACE that extends to the ground... And you are not allowed to fly your drone in class c...this could 9.2km, 15km whatever it says on the VFR maps.

Ok, thanks, so the Drone site selection tool is up to date then, now to try and figure out how to read the VFR maps.

Ok, thanks, so the Drone site selection tool is up to date then, now to try and figure out how to read the VFR maps.
Yes..so the bigger area is probably correct... Honestly, I don't use my advanced certificate for commercial purposes but it allows me to fly in so many cool places in control zones....

Last edited:
I am really sorry if I am illiterate in this regard. I read through this thread, numerous other posts, blogs, youtube videos. I am still not 100% confident that I am interpreting this correctly.

I live in Toronto, right by Rogers Center. If I get a Mavic Mini, as long as I am flying responsibly, under the current regulations I am allowed to fly the Mini in Toronto right? I would have to get authorized by Dji as I am in the authorized zone but other than that, I am OK to take off?

What makes it more confusing is when you go into Drone Selector Tool I am right in a no fly zone..but when you go into Dji's map tool I am in the authorized zone.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am really sorry if I am illiterate in this regard. I read through this thread, numerous other posts, blogs, youtube videos. I am still not 100% confident that I am interpreting this correctly.

I live in Toronto, right by Rogers Center. If I get a Mavic Mini, as long as I am flying responsibly, under the current regulations I am allowed to fly the Mini in Toronto right? I would have to get authorized by Dji as I am in the authorized zone but other than that, I am OK to take off?

What makes it more confusing is when you go into Drone Selector Tool I am right in a no fly zone..but when you go into Dji's map tool I am in the authorized zone.

I'll make this clear for you... :) No, you are NOT allowed to fly. You are in controlled air space.

The area you live in you can't really fly since it's too close to the downtown airport and helicopter pads around the city. You have to be away from those places then you can fly but not a lot of places around in Toronto.

I'll make this clear for you... :) No, you are NOT allowed to fly. You are in controlled air space.

The area you live in you can't really fly since it's too close to the downtown airport and helicopter pads around the city. You have to be away from those places then you can fly but not a lot of places around in Toronto.

So this post with the tweet from TC is not exactly correct then?

The tweet indicates the mini is not restricted in terms of where it can fly.

You have to been away from airports and helipads. That's just common sense. So you can't just fly anywhere you like. Also there are toronto bylaws in parks etc. They don't let you fly there

Ahh missed the mini part...so I imagine your under the 249g... I've had a number of conversations with the transport Canada rpas desk about this .. there are CARs that do apply which you could get pegged on. For instance .. you're not allowed to fly in a reckless way...and that can be interpreted pretty loosely where there are so many heliports and airports as well as tons of people around the Rogers center..that although airspace wise your good and bylaws could be ok, there are other ways you could get nailed...and that's why it's a grey area.

Another thing I'll point out is to expect a swarm of cops. There will be tons of people who will phone in a drone flying downtown and nobody knows it's less than 250g... So just expect that you'll have to deal with them a lot...and will be a big annoyance.

My advice...get your advanced certificate and just get the air clearance ..it's so easy to fly places and be legit that way and it gives you strong leg to stand on when those cops do show up...because they will...

Hey yall,

so i'm pulling the trigger today after weeks of deliberation regarding which drone to get... then which model... then where is best to purchase from... and now where can I even fly this thing so I don't 'break the law'.

after doing some research i found this site.
UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada

so my understanding is that i cant fly anywhere in the red bubbles?
does this mean, even at lower altitudes...I can't imagine a plane being affected by a drone flying 20 ft above the ground, but who knows?

I'm in the Mississauga/Etobicoke/Port Credit areas.
Drone i will be getting MPP
There are a few acres up here in Grey County you can legally fly in. Drive on up. ;):)

Wasn't there at night time but got a few during the afternoon.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20200620-100621.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200620-100621.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 18
  • VideoCapture_20200620-100305.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200620-100305.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 19
  • VideoCapture_20200620-100329.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200620-100329.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 21
Yes I live downtown near the CN Tower and I have the super Patcher mod on my mavic so I can fly anywhere anytime respectfully of course. how did you know I was in video mode? You're right anyways, I didn't take any pictures next time I will. Those are just screenshots of the quick video I got.

Yes I live downtown near the CN Tower and I have the super Patcher mod on my mavic so I can fly anywhere anytime respectfully of course. how did you know I was in video mode? You're right anyways, I didn't take any pictures next time I will. Those are just screenshots of the quick video I got.

what is the super patcher mod? you can fly anytime anyways if you unlock the geofencing ahead of time.

the file names on your pics says videocapture

I could see they were captured from the quality. Evening photos would be excellent. I’m a couple hours northwest if you, so no urban settings nearby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO