DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Total loss of control during roof thermal inspection

wild and terrifying…it should be mandatory to have observer with shotgun in hand just in case something like this happens……..

There's a black FCC registration sticker inside the battery bay (left sidewall - mini 3 pro). Grab a magnifying glass and read it. Pay particular attention to disclaimer #2.
Interference doesn't cause erratic flight.
If you think it does, come up with same evidence of it happening.

The manufacturer warning of it in black and white is pretty compelling. Not just on the FCC compliance sticker, but in the manual as well.
Something that's never happened, and can't happen?
Compelling?
From the same people that used to advise compass recalibration before each flight?
Compelling?
Sure it is !!

Reactions: TonyPHX
Something that's never happened, and can't happen?
Compelling?
From the same people that used to advise compass recalibration before each flight?
Compelling?
Sure it is !!
Yup. Compelling and.... In black and white. But what do they know eh? They just design and build them.

Attachments

• IMG_20231022_135550_182.jpg
    IMG_20231022_135550_182.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Yup. Compelling and.... In black and white. But what do they know eh? They just design and build them.
This warning is on almost all electronic devices and is very badly worded. What it means is that no outside electronic interference can damage the device. Even if it is strong enough to cause operation problems. Short of an EMP.

Reactions: slup
Exactly as in previous post (#48)...

And if thinking logical about it... which official airspace authority would ever allow something to be operated within their area of responsibility that suddenly can go haywire due to some kind of microwave interference, which exist everywhere nowadays? Furthermore... if it was possible that microwave interference could "take over" the command, we would see incidents in the dozens every day here in the forum.

All communication between the RC & AC are well protected & nothing will be allowed to interfere in a way that the AC sees it as valid RC commands.

As said so many times before... if the interference gets so severe that the RC signals "drown" in the noise, the AC will revert to the set failsafe action, & if a HP is recorded & the AC there have a sufficient GPS quality it means a RTH in most cases. If the AC lacks GPS support when the control signal is lost, it will land.

it seems to be a hardware problem, which is rare with Mavic 3T.

It seems that the problem first start at ard 0:47 (timing as in the video, same for below) and the gimble malfunction at first (pointing upward towards the sun and caused the sunburn protection) but by then the drone seems to be in "working" condition and can still fly straight. So, the first question is: did you manually stopped the program flight and direct it to return home?

After the program flight was stopped, the drone seems to be spinning in the air (from 01:28-02:00)...so, it may be a program error or hardware error.... and this bring us to the second question: did you do anything to stop the spin or it just stop after sometime?

And the flight path of flying back was not straight in any sense for Total Home Inspections, so, am I correct that wasn't inentional?

Since drone deploy was used, would you be able to share the parameters of the flight program?
The best time to use IR for roof leak detection is at night ( or possibly a dull overcast day). I understand that IR won't pinpoint leak, but will show where water has permeated into the insulation. I have been asked by my upper management to shoot the roof of our building to look for leaks. They are wanting to do this in the daylight hours and I don't think thats feasible due to the fact that we are in the bright sunny state of SC with the sun beaming down and the temps in mid 80's to low 90's. We have a FLIR thermacam and after experimenting I find that the screen is very hard (near impossible) to see. If any one can verify this or at the least give me some tips on how to go about this I would deeply appreciate it.

I cancelled that and entered sport mode to manually take over the flight,
I hacked my firmware so that Sport mode is now ATTI Mode on my Mavic Pro. While I've never had any use for any kind of "Sport Mode," I HAVE had occasion to release the beast from GPS lock, which also immediately disables any kind of Intelligent Flight Modes, which can save your bacon in a pinch. The Mode button essentially becomes your Panic Button. You might want to consider looking for that hack for your model of drone.

1715314200837.png

Good luck.

D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe