DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Touched a cloud with the drone

Wow way to jack a thread drone lawyers!!! Hey great picture thanks for posting awesome view

So, would this be clouds or fog, and is there a difference? Obviously in terms of VLOS it probably doesn’t, but from other regulations standpoint?

I’ve flown above morning fog over my house and stayed under 400’. Got a pretty good shot.

Z

If you are talking about recreational flying there is only the VLOS requirement.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
A little rain storm came through town followed by really low flying clouds. So I sent the drone up to take a look. The clouds gave a neat effect to the photo.
I'm sure it's probably not a good idea to fly in the clouds due to moister content. So I will give this warning: Do not try this at home - this drone operator does not have a grip on reality.

1540145557_cloud.jpg

took almost 3 minutes to penetrate, i made it and a clear testament to this drones robust build guilty

Reactions: W2EJ
A little rain storm came through town followed by really low flying clouds. So I sent the drone up to take a look. The clouds gave a neat effect to the photo.
I'm sure it's probably not a good idea to fly in the clouds due to moister content. So I will give this warning: Do not try this at home - this drone operator does not have a grip on reality.

1540145557_cloud.jpg
Nice pic, post more.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
took almost 3 minutes to penetrate, i made it and a clear testament to this drones robust build guilty

Did you have all of your sensors off and if not were they being confused when you were in the clouds?

Cloud clearance is 500ft below and 1000ft above. At least that's what the clearance requirements are for private pilots. What does part 107 say about visibility?

That's almost correct. Cloud clearance is 500ft below and 1000ft above. At least that's what the clearance requirements are for private pilots. What does part 107 say about visibility?

and what does part 107 say about clearance requirements in class golf and echo airspace.

for the record, i live in a very rural area far from bravo, delta, and charlie airports. I addition, I am very aware of the routes air traffic use enroute to those airports and i stay well away from those corridors. Interestingly, I live in a natural park land reserve and im pretty sure some of the area's are restricted to air traffic, at least lower flying civilian aircraft for sure...

So after reading this thread I went and researched the "cloud rules" a bit. Turns out I may have ****** up I'm mean, unintentionally disobeyed the rules
The rules state a remote pilot must keep their UAV at least 500 feet below clouds and 2,000 feet horizontally away from clouds. Also, there’s a minimum flight visibility requirement of 3 statute miles.

When does fog become cloud?

While taking this shot the UAV was in VLOS @ 150ft altitude. Probably not 2000' from the fog though. Although not as close as the picture makes it look. The Zoom really helps there. Is two out of three a fail? Probably.

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 6.57.09 PM.png

So after reading this thread I went and researched the "cloud rules" a bit. Turns out I may have ****** up I'm mean, unintentionally disobeyed the rules
The rules state a remote pilot must keep their UAV at least 500 feet below clouds and 2,000 feet horizontally away from clouds. Also, there’s a minimum flight visibility requirement of 3 statute miles.

When does fog become cloud?

While taking this shot the UAV was in VLOS @ 150ft altitude. Probably not 2000' from the fog though. Although not as close as the picture makes it look. The Zoom really helps there. Is two out of three a fail? Probably.

View attachment 51678

So you were flying under Part 107?

Reactions: JDawg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter