DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Touched a cloud with the drone

Constant Drone

Reactions
A little rain storm came through town followed by really low flying clouds. So I sent the drone up to take a look. The clouds gave a neat effect to the photo.
I'm sure it's probably not a good idea to fly in the clouds due to moister content. So I will give this warning: Do not try this at home - this drone operator does not have a grip on reality.

1540145557_cloud.jpg

Well, it did give a haunted effect on the upper part. Perfect for the Halloween season LOL :D

Not really sure where this was, but if US, would the CBO rules include anything on cloud distance? I do know 107 does, but really not sure for CBOs.

Not really sure where this was, but if US, would the CBO rules include anything on cloud distance? I do know 107 does, but really not sure for CBOs.

The AMA guidance says nothing about ceiling or cloud distances.

Sounds like you should look up the FAA rules.

The FAA requires recreational pilots (in the US) to follow AMA guidelines, which do not mention ceiling or cloud distances, as I mentioned. Which FAA rules are you referring to?

The picture, at least to me, appears to be under 400FT... so I'm not sure the problem in general.

The picture, at least to me, appears to be under 400FT... so I'm not sure the problem in general.

Actually the AMA guidance has no altitude limits except near airports, so until the new laws are incorporated into 14 CFR, recreational flight altitude is only limited by the AMA VLOS requirement.

Reactions: Joebie
Actually the AMA guidance has no altitude limits except near airports, so until the new laws are incorporated into 14 CFR, recreational flight altitude is only limited by the AMA VLOS requirement.
Yeah, so all you drone in the cloud picture haters.....so there....

Yeah, so all you drone in the cloud picture haters.....so there....

To be fair - if you are shooting in or above the clouds then that almost certainly breaks the VLOS requirement. I was just addressing the issue of whether there was a minimum ceiling clearance required as there is under VFR or Part 107 rules.

And guys this is photos and videos so let’s not get a debate going here on this. Go to rules and Regs to do so.
I think the op got what they wanted as far as responses .
This horse is about dead here so let’s finish up .
Thanks.

And guys this is photos and videos so let’s not get a debate going here on this. Go to rules and Regs to do so.
I think the op got what they wanted as far as responses .
This horse is about dead here so let’s finish up .
Thanks.
I agree with the Mod... I take hyperlapse of clouds so to be fair, 100% of all my hyperlapse videos of cloud I Average 375 ft and all are VLOS. So I take a slight offense when people bash people when they take pics or videos of cloud shots.I apologize...

So, would this be clouds or fog, and is there a difference? Obviously in terms of VLOS it probably doesn’t, but from other regulations standpoint?

I’ve flown above morning fog over my house and stayed under 400’. Got a pretty good shot.

Z

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661