DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking while skiing and then grabbing it midair...

kmd1984

Reactions
So, can I disable the bottom sensors only? I would like to track myself when skiing. The problem is not the tracking, but the take off and landing... When the bottom sensors are enabled, grabbing it out of midair is not going to work, correct?

I could land on a ski run, but it's not always flat and I have no idea if the mavic pro 2 will land on a slope? Anyhow, grabbing it makes more sense to me... I guess.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You can but you don’t need to.

1) Just fly the drone to just in front of you so it’s facing away from you(so the front sensors don’t see you

2) have it hover just above your head level so it’s easy to reach but so the props are not in danger of hitting you.

3) have the remote in your left hand and with your right hand come in from behind it and just grab it decisively and firmly.

4) As soon as you have it firmly in your grasp pull the left stick down and hold it down till the motors turn off. The drone is going to protest and try to get away with full power which will be unnerving but don’t worry it’s ok.

The reason turning off the sensors is unnessesary is because it’s not the sensors that trip causing the drone to protest its the fact that you are grabbing it and tripping the IMU. This will happen with the sensors on or off. In fact the fact that the drone can see your hand will let it know it’s landing on something and will be more willing to cut the motors.

Some people that are really good at hand landings can put their hand out and left stick down to get the drone to just land in their hand but that takes a lot of practice.

You can but you don’t need to.

1) Just fly the drone to just in front of you so it’s facing away from you(so the front sensors don’t see you

2) have it hover just above your head level so it’s easy to reach but so the props are not in danger of hitting you.

3) have the remote in your left hand and with your right hand come in from behind it and just grab it decisively and firmly.

4) As soon as you have it firmly in your grasp pull the left stick down and hold it down till the motors turn off. The drone is going to protest and try to get away with full power which will be unnerving but don’t worry it’s ok.

The reason turning off the sensors is unnessesary is because it’s not the sensors that trip causing the drone to protest its the fact that you are grabbing it and tripping the IMU. This will happen with the sensors on or off. In fact the fact that the drone can see your hand will let it know it’s landing on something and will be more willing to cut the motors.

Some people that are really good at hand landings can put their hand out and left stick down to get the drone to just land in their hand but that takes a lot of practice.

Thanks chief! I will give it a try and see what happens... I keep you posted!

Thanks,

Kmd

Reactions: brett8883
I recently learned and tried a slightly different technique for hand catching that is very easy. If the drone is hovering, just slide your hand directly under it horizontally from the front or back. It immediately thinks it has landed and shuts down, no fighting.

I recently learned and tried a slightly different technique for hand catching that is very easy. If the drone is hovering, just slide your hand directly under it horizontally from the front or back. It immediately thinks it has landed and shuts down, no fighting.
Interesting... Are the front or back sensors not going to stop you from getting that close? I could swear that I tested the sensors once by getting the drone down to eye level, and then walked towards it... It kept backing up. Maybe that was a different drone though, so I cold be wrong.

Thanks,

Kmd

Interesting... Are the front or back sensors not going to stop you from getting that close? I could swear that I tested the sensors once by getting the drone down to eye level, and then walked towards it... It kept backing up. Maybe that was a different drone though, so I cold be wrong.

Thanks,

Kmd

I just tried it again yesterday and I need to correct what I said. Firstly, I put it at a level just above my head where the sensors don’t react and reach up and slide my hand under. The motors don’t turn off immediately but it doesn’t fight at all. I pull and hold the left stick down to shut off the motors.

I just tried it again yesterday and I need to correct what I said. Firstly, I put it at a level just above my head where the sensors don’t react and reach up and slide my hand under. The motors don’t turn off immediately but it doesn’t fight at all. I pull and hold the left stick down to shut off the motors.
Ok, good to know. Thanks for the update... and sorry for the late reply.

Kmd

I also need to make a correction. It is the bottom sensors that cause the drone to finger you when hand catching. Turning off the sensors does prevent this though it’s unnecessary.

What I’ve been doing is bring it down so it’s just over my head but facing MY direction. I pinch grab it by from underneath so that that my hand doesn’t actually cover the sensors and throttle down and it will gracefully stop the motors.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02