DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel restrictions - do not take your drone to Turkey

Been flying back and forwards from Turkey and Central Asia to the UK for the last year. Have never had any problems with security and I carry my Mavic and it's batteries and accessories in my hand luggage every time.

yes. please change the title of this thread!!! you are misleading people! I was just there in August and I had no problem flying from USA and back plus traveling within Turkey by plane as well. I had them in my carry on back pack with batteries(3). No problems at all! not even a question!

Well that's it!
After all the excitement and the practice with my new Mavic the bubble is popped.
Confirmed : You can no longer take your batteries in the cabin or hold when flying back from Turkey.

These restrictions are from the UK government
please change the title of this thread!!! you are misleading people! I was just there in August and I had no problem flying from USA and back plus traveling within Turkey by plane as well. I had them in my carry on back pack with batteries(3). No problems at all! not even a question! you can say from UK or something! thanks.

Hi,

Is there anyone that has been to Antalya/Istanbul with the Mavic Pro? Holiday coming up and after reading the comments, there seems to be no definite answer. Anyone that has actually gone to Turkey with the drone, I would appreciate your advice!

Hi,

Is there anyone that has been to Antalya/Istanbul with the Mavic Pro? Holiday coming up and after reading the comments, there seems to be no definite answer. Anyone that has actually gone to Turkey with the drone, I would appreciate your advice!

Hello, I live in US and I just took my Mavic there for summer and had no problem at all International or domestic flights. I did go to Bodrum (not far from Antalya). Just put it in your little back pack and take the propellers off. Looks just like a camera. Regardless, nobody even ask anything about it. I had my 3 batteries with me as well. Safe trip. You will get beautiful shots.

Reactions: TJVas
Hello, I live in US and I just took my Mavic there for summer and had no problem at all International or domestic flights. I did go to Bodrum (not far from Antalya). Just put it in your little back pack and take the propellers off. Looks just like a camera. Regardless, nobody even ask anything about it. I had my 3 batteries with me as well. Safe trip. You will get beautiful shots.
Great! Thank you so much for your quick reply!

When I did my research for a coming trip to Istanbul, I read that any drone bigger/heavier than the Spark had to be registered. To register your drone you needed some sort of ID number which you can only get if you're a citizen of Turkey.

Reactions: inspiredbymavic
Now in Turkey, no issues through security, easyJet to Dalaman Airport

With a Mavic?

When you land, you don't normally go through security. Problems may arise on your way back. Dalaman is a nice place, get some good shots!

When leaving the airport they have a baggage scanner and pick random people to check. No reason for issues returning to UK as allowed on the plane

Can you make sure to post an update with how you go. I'm flying Sydney to Italy via Istanbul in June, also using Turkish.
Travelled to Turkey last week allowing restrictions lifted from UK to Dalaman and Istanbul but security still high.

yes. please change the title of this thread!!! you are misleading people! I was just there in August and I had no problem flying from USA and back plus traveling within Turkey by plane as well. I had them in my carry on back pack with batteries(3). No problems at all! not even a question!
Restrictions are now lifted. Do you know how to change a post title via my phone?

Travel restrictions for batteries have been lifted but always check your airline.
I flew from UK to Dalaman via EasyJet Easter 2018. Coming back there are 3 bag checks and my bag was raked through on all occasions.
Some tips on travelling to Turkey with a Mavic Pro
1. Don't mention DRONE, it's a camera if asked.
2. Seems it's the batteries that the scanner picks up. Doing it again I would have the batteries and stuff in a separate bag and have the mavic in my carry on bag with NO battery.
3. Last bag checked at the gate, once through I'd then put my battery back in my Mavic and backpack back in my carry on case (easyJet only allow 1 carry on)

I had my Mavic batteries, phone battery pack, phone and gimbal all packed in one bag inside my carry on case so after multiple checks they'd made a right mess.

There were no questions about the drone, they just picked up the battery and looked at me! I just said, spare camera batteries.

I didn't have any papers on me about the drone or anything.

Flying from the UK,, my bag was searched for the same reason, too much electronics packed together so best to take out and place in a separate tray.

Travel restrictions for batteries have been lifted but always check your airline.
I flew from UK to Dalaman via EasyJet Easter 2018. Coming back there are 3 bag checks and my bag was raked through on all occasions.
Some tips on travelling to Turkey with a Mavic Pro
1. Don't mention DRONE, it's a camera if asked.
2. Seems it's the batteries that the scanner picks up. Doing it again I would have the batteries and stuff in a separate bag and have the mavic in my carry on bag with NO battery.
3. Last bag checked at the gate, once through I'd then put my battery back in my Mavic and backpack back in my carry on case (easyJet only allow 1 carry on)

I had my Mavic batteries, phone battery pack, phone and gimbal all packed in one bag inside my carry on case so after multiple checks they'd made a right mess.

There were no questions about the drone, they just picked up the battery and looked at me! I just said, spare camera batteries.

I didn't have any papers on me about the drone or anything.

Flying from the UK,, my bag was searched for the same reason, too much electronics packed together so best to take out and place in a separate tray.

Some great information on here. I'm off to Icmeler next week, flying from Manchester (Thomson/Tui) to Dalaman, and would love to take my mavic pro at this will be our 17 th time there. However am concerned about batteries, Hold or hand luggage?(I have the lipo bags for by 2 batteries)

Hi,

Is there anyone that has been to Antalya Airport & Sabiha Airport, Istanbul with the Mavic AIR?
Going for vacation soon and appreciate worst case scenarios if happen to get pulled over security check.
Anyone that has actually gone to Turkey with the drone, I would appreciate your advice!

I looked at all the posts and also the UK Governement Websites, plus the Turkey drone Registration site and finally I went to the airline desk at the airport - here are my conclusions.

1. You are all incorrect and giving poor advice.
2. The battery restrictions ONLY apply to "laptops, tablets and phones over the specified size, and also to devices or battery packs to be used with those items"
3. Drones are allowed in hand luggage, are allowed on Turkish Airlines and ARE allowed in to Turkey.
4. The battery for the Mavic is classed as a camera battery and not subject to the new restrictions.
5. The batteries, being approx 43wh capacity, MUST be carried in hand luggage and NOT in the hold.
6. The new Turkish drone registration system and legality is ONLY applicable to devices with a take off weight of 5kg or over, making the Mavic exempt.

How do I know all this to be 100% accurate? Because I've just returned from Turkey flying from Manchester in the UK, with the Mavic and 3 batteries and had absolutely no issues through any of the security checks. Yes they did request to look at the device and checked the power output of the batteries and said they were all OK.

I'm glad I did my research instead of relying on speculation and now have some great footage from around Antalya to remember my trip with.

Anyone wanting to ask any questions, please feel free. Happy flying and teşekkür ederim!
I looked at all the posts and also the UK Governement Websites, plus the Turkey drone Registration site and finally I went to the airline desk at the airport - here are my conclusions.

1. You are all incorrect and giving poor advice.
2. The battery restrictions ONLY apply to "laptops, tablets and phones over the specified size, and also to devices or battery packs to be used with those items"
3. Drones are allowed in hand luggage, are allowed on Turkish Airlines and ARE allowed in to Turkey.
4. The battery for the Mavic is classed as a camera battery and not subject to the new restrictions.
5. The batteries, being approx 43wh capacity, MUST be carried in hand luggage and NOT in the hold.
6. The new Turkish drone registration system and legality is ONLY applicable to devices with a take off weight of 5kg or over, making the Mavic exempt.

How do I know all this to be 100% accurate? Because I've just returned from Turkey flying from Manchester in the UK, with the Mavic and 3 batteries and had absolutely no issues through any of the security checks. Yes they did request to look at the device and checked the power output of the batteries and said they were all OK.

I'm glad I did my research instead of relying on speculation and now have some great footage from around Antalya to remember my trip with.

Anyone wanting to ask any questions, please feel free. Happy flying and teşekkür ederim!
I am travelling to Ishmeler Turkey in August and I wish to take my DJI Mavic Air with me.i read your comments.and it seems to be fine to take it.I have 2 spare batteries where should I store the Mavic and the batteries.

Can I bring my mavic air to Turkey and I have a layover in Jeddah though? Will it be ok for both these countries?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest