DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel restrictions - do not take your drone to Turkey

Mavic controller can go in checked bags as it has the battery contained within it.

Ideally protect the 'on' button but that is easy with one of the cheap 'hard' pouches on ebay.

Oh I didn't know if it has the battery contained with it then you can travel it in your checked bag. Turkish airlines never mentioned that to me. Sounds like theyr not entirely sure. I think I might just risk traveling with the spark with the battery connected on the way back. I think traveling with it in hand bags have more chance you'd be refused to bring it.

But the airline did say they will wrap up restricted electronics in bubble wrap and put it in a seperate compartment in the hold. Which begs the question is it really safer than having it in your own hold bag ? What are they using fireproof cases or something...

This is also what I have been sent by Turkish airlines. This looks very helpful and there is now hope for us.

By the look of the picture they prefer you put your electronic devices in your hold luggage however even if you carried lipos on you they will end up putting it in the hold in their own firesafe cases and return it to you at the baggage claim.

Hope this clears everything up and relaxes anybody wishing to travel with lipos.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image.png
    image.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.png
    image.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 66
I'm going to Antalya on Saturday for 2 weeks (with Thomas Cook) and had really hoped to take my Mavic with me but I think it's going to be too risky, there's no clear yes or no, I've even read of people having their Mavic's confiscated at Turkish Airports and having to jump through hoops to get them back on their return journey's.

This is also what I have been sent by Turkish airlines. This looks very helpful and there is now hope for us.

By the look of the picture they prefer you put your electronic devices in your hold luggage however even if you carried lipos on you they will end up putting it in the hold in their own firesafe cases and return it to you at the baggage claim.

Hope this clears everything up and relaxes anybody wishing to travel with lipos.

All of that refers to 'devices' not 'spare batteries'.

I would still want to get confirmation that they will treat spare battery packs in the same way before assuming it will be OK.

I had flight from Bodrum to Istanbul and back with my P3P with no issues at all. Security checks have been done through x-rays and all they asked is registration of my drone to their record book. I keep my drone and two batteries in cabin by the way.
About flying drone in Turkey, nowadays security concerns are quite high but there's no absolute ban of flying. It's better not to fly in city centers. People are curious, some of them might concern about your drone. Im flying high and away from people.

I had flight from Bodrum to Istanbul and back with my P3P with no issues at all. Security checks have been done through x-rays and all they asked is registration of my drone to their record book. I keep my drone and two batteries in cabin by the way.

You won't have any problems on internal flights within Turkey, these rules are specific to flights leaving Turkey and going to either the USA or the UK.

The safest bet is to just check your Mavic in with your checked baggage and keep the lipo in your cabin baggage. Worst case scenario you will have the lipo taken off you but better than being the Mavic right.

Flew from Istanbul to NYC JFK yesterday- signs were posted in both Athens and Istanbul airports regarding the new travel restrictions. Any electronics larger than a cellphone were required to be placed in checked baggage. If you forgot to check them, they collected the electronics, wrapped them in bubble wrap and gave you a ticket to retrieve them in NYC. We had a small pocket camera and larger DSLR placed into the bubble wrap - it was handled with care and retrieved successfully in NYC. I packed my drone and laptop in the checked baggage and it arrived fine as well. I carried one backup battery in my carryon and it was not inspected, not sure if it would have been an issue as they did search my bag but just didn't see it.

Bottom line, the new processes is a pain, but it shouldn't impact drone users traveling from Turkey to UK or USA directly except for the additional steps.

I hope this helps everyone!

Reactions: halilmentes
Besides the electronics Ban to the UK/US, is there anything else I should be aware of regarding bringing my mavic into Turkey. I'm quite worried about Customs taking it away due to the country's security situation when I arrive there. I'm flying to Istanbul from Italy with Pegasus Airlines and after a few days there, taking another Pegasus flight to Israel. I tried calling the Directorate General of Civil Aviation but no one spoke English. Let me know.

Also, anyone have experience bringing their Mavic on Pegasus Airlines?

I carried one backup battery in my carryon and it was not inspected, not sure if it would have been an issue as they did search my bag but just didn't see it.

Pity really, but good for you :)

It would have been very helpful if they had found it and deemed it as OK, which they should, but based on my own experiences in Jordan I'm just not sure they are that clear on the rules.

skysailing,
i live in istanbul and i fly turkish airlines frequently. i recently flew from and to seychelles, italy, abu dhabi and quite a few domestic destinations. my mavic was with me in the combo bag all the time and had no issues. i had no problems what so ever flying the mavic in istanbul and around either. however reading your plans regarding blue mosque, i wanted write a couple of words. blue mosque and similar structures are typically located in city center area where large crowds of people and vehicle traffic is present at all times. as many in eu jurisdictions, turkish regulation prohibits recreational drone flight in such areas. please be mindful. moreover all drones heavier then 500g are subject to registration.
turkey is dependent on tourism and that's a fact. but also turkey is paranoid about security and acts of terrorism. you will find police tolerant and people in general relaxed about the tourist hobbyist fly a drone or two but still be careful if you have the mavic in the air in midst of thousands of people in the city center. while on the other hand, there will be endless opportunities of dramatic footage in Cappadocia and Pamukkale and no risks as in Istanbul city center.
enjoy your travels..
Hey! By combo bag do you mean your carry on luggage or checked luggage? Thanks!

Hey! By combo bag do you mean your carry on luggage or checked luggage? Thanks!

By combo bag I'm sure he means the bag that comes in the fly more combo kit, its a small SLR camera sized shoulder bag, ideal if we could be sure you would be allowed it on the flight, I fly tomorrow at 1pm to Antalya for 2 weeks but sadly decided to leave the Mavic, too much uncertainty for me :(

By combo bag I'm sure he means the bag that comes in the fly more combo kit, its a small SLR camera sized shoulder bag, ideal if we could be sure you would be allowed it on the flight, I fly tomorrow at 1pm to Antalya for 2 weeks but sadly decided to leave the Mavic, too much uncertainty for me :(
That's fair. I leave Sunday and I'm very unsure. If you were flying from a country which the electronics ban wasn't effected by such as somewhere in Europe, would you still feel uncertain? I'm flying from Italy but I'm still worried to bring it through Istanbul Customs.

Yes. The combo bag from the fly combo kit.

I did fly in and out of Turkey and domestically numerous times. On all of these flights, I took my Mavic along as carry on luggage. I would do the same if I had a flight today.

I am going to fly to the JFK at the end of the month. Mavic will be checked in. With the US and the UK, anything but your cell phone is not allowed as carry on.

skysailing,
i live in istanbul and i fly turkish airlines frequently. i recently flew from and to seychelles, italy, abu dhabi and quite a few domestic destinations. my mavic was with me in the combo bag all the time and had no issues. i had no problems what so ever flying the mavic in istanbul and around either. however reading your plans regarding blue mosque, i wanted write a couple of words. blue mosque and similar structures are typically located in city center area where large crowds of people and vehicle traffic is present at all times. as many in eu jurisdictions, turkish regulation prohibits recreational drone flight in such areas. please be mindful. moreover all drones heavier then 500g are subject to registration.
turkey is dependent on tourism and that's a fact. but also turkey is paranoid about security and acts of terrorism. you will find police tolerant and people in general relaxed about the tourist hobbyist fly a drone or two but still be careful if you have the mavic in the air in midst of thousands of people in the city center. while on the other hand, there will be endless opportunities of dramatic footage in Cappadocia and Pamukkale and no risks as in Istanbul city center.
enjoy your travels..

The registration process is for UAS over 5kg not 500g.

Yes. The combo bag from the fly combo kit.

I did fly in and out of Turkey and domestically numerous times. On all of these flights, I took my Mavic along as carry on luggage. I would do the same if I had a flight today.

I am going to fly to the JFK at the end of the month. Mavic will be checked in. With the US and the UK, anything but your cell phone is not allowed as carry on.

I've flown in to the UK from Turkey and ital in the past month and both times with the Mavic and Batteries in hand luggage in the cabin. It is confusing but if you read all the guidance, it says that "...laptops, tablets and mobile phones over a specific size, plus batteries for those devices, must be carried in checked in baggage...". It also specifically states that the restriction does NOT apply to other devices, e.g. cameras, which the Mavic can be classed as. Take the props off and it's a stabilised camera!
There are other restrictions about specific devices such as hover boards or pyrotechnic attache cases, but again, these are irrelevant to us.

And to the person who stated that the terrorists have won because we're all afraid - ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I live and work in Manchester and I'm not in the slightest afraid - #westandtogether #thisistheplace

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Anyone ever flown with Pegasus Airways ? Experiences? They say I can only bring my drone as checked baggage.

Whew!

I was just reading this with a growing sense of anxiety. I'm traveling to Greece via Istanbul next month with a shipload of camera gear including a Mavic and 3 batteries. I'll discharge them for general safety prior to departing Sydney and take them in my camera backpack.

Really appreciate your post!
I'm flying back to the UK from Athens via Istanbul! How did it go?

Hey all, this has been a good thread to read, thanks for the contributions.

I'd like to ask if anyone has successfully registered on SHGM - İHA Kayıt Sistemi ?

Using google translate, I can try to register, but after selecting Australia as a country, the drop down menu from city/suburb are blank so I can't proceed. What I did was select Turkey as country and a random city/suburb location and I was able to register, but after that it still says: "Your information was not passed on Mernis approval. Please edit the information as written in your ID"

From what I read on that site, it seems like if we want to fly a drone in Turkey, we need to register ourselves as pilots and register our devices. But how is this possible when the website doesnt allow us too? I dropped them 2 emails and haven't had a response either. I'm getting quite anxious as I need to bring my Mavic and P4P into Turkey for work filming purposes, and passing through customs is 1 thing, but what about filming? I wouldn't want to cop a fine for not being registered.

Insights, anyone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest