DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel restrictions - do not take your drone to Turkey

Just returned from Turkey on Monday.

Read all the forums etc - A lot of misunderstandings etc ( even from the people who should know)

Called Thomas Cook airlines 3 times. Each person, after some advice taken on the other end confirmed it's fine to take my DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus. They said on the way there, take the batteries in the cabin, on the return, put it in the hold ( inside a lipo bag of course ).

I also tried registering several times on the turkish website, no luck and also tried to contact them via email ( no luck).

So, I thought, I'd take the risk. Going to Dalaman (Turkey) I took everything except the two batteries (one spare) into the hold. On the return journey EVERYTHING went into the hold in my suitcase, well protected. So they scanned the suitcase and one security guy poiinted at the suitcase and said "Drone". I said "yes". They then opened it, glanced at it and let it through. No worries at all.

On a side note, I had 3 lithium phone charger batteries. 2 small ( but still larger than 1.5cm) and one clearly larger. Thomas Cook said it's fine to take them, but on return journey place them in hold. So, I took two in hold and took one small one into the cabin. There is a VERY thorough search getting onto the plane. They asked, I told them it's there. They measured it and made me throw it in the bin. According to them, I am not allowed to take ANY such batteries ( I think they referring to Lithium phone charging batteries) onto the plane at all. Not even in the hold. Anyway, when I returned home, the other two batteries were still in the suitcase.

Thought I'd share my experience this time- as often I don't but make use of other peoples experiences :-( and a lot of others are so good at sharing experiences. Thanks to all that do!

Ps. Took great footage in Kalkan. No issues. I didn;t take it to Istanbul, as I would not feel comfortable using it in Central London - so felt it would not be right to fly it in Central Istanbul ( Just my personal opinion ) - I don't think they would have stopped you taking it. Might have objected in Istanbul if they spotted you.

Just returned from Turkey on Monday.
So, I took two in hold and took one small one into the cabin.

So was this small one you mentioned a Drone battery? And when you say bin, I assume that means you were asked to dispose of it and it's completely gone?

My flight into Turkey is from Portugal via Turkish Airlines, and out of Turkey is to Abu Dhabi via Emirates. From what I understand, main issues are flights to the UK and USA. Is my assumption right? It's frustrating that legally we're meant to register our drones but their website doesnt allow us to, so if I manage to get my drone in, it'll be an illegal drone flight :(

No. The small one was just a portable phone charger.

My two Drone batteries were fine. Took them INTO the cabin going from Gatwick to Dalaman (Turkey) and then in the hold (suitcase) when returning to the UK.

I mentioned the other battery just for info.

So, I would take ALL batteries in the cabin going and in the hold on return. The Drone batteries i kept in LIPO bags. The other batteries were just kept in the zips of suitcases - I did that so that if they wanted to remove them they could easily do so.

I looked at all the posts and also the UK Governement Websites, plus the Turkey drone Registration site and finally I went to the airline desk at the airport - here are my conclusions.

1. You are all incorrect and giving poor advice.
2. The battery restrictions ONLY apply to "laptops, tablets and phones over the specified size, and also to devices or battery packs to be used with those items"
3. Drones are allowed in hand luggage, are allowed on Turkish Airlines and ARE allowed in to Turkey.
4. The battery for the Mavic is classed as a camera battery and not subject to the new restrictions.
5. The batteries, being approx 43wh capacity, MUST be carried in hand luggage and NOT in the hold.
6. The new Turkish drone registration system and legality is ONLY applicable to devices with a take off weight of 5kg or over, making the Mavic exempt.

How do I know all this to be 100% accurate? Because I've just returned from Turkey flying from Manchester in the UK, with the Mavic and 3 batteries and had absolutely no issues through any of the security checks. Yes they did request to look at the device and checked the power output of the batteries and said they were all OK.

I'm glad I did my research instead of relying on speculation and now have some great footage from around Antalya to remember my trip with.

Anyone wanting to ask any questions, please feel free. Happy flying and teşekkür ederim!
The lesson here would be:
1. Do your research.
2. Apply a micron (very fine) filter to your research, particularly if it's from a forum.
3. Check your research again.
4. Post and hope the rules haven't changed since you hit the enter key.

Thanks OneOak.

PS. Regarding disposing - Yes, they make you throw it in the bin with your own hands.
If you keep everything in Cabin when going to Turkey and then everything in the Suitcase on return, you should be fine ( This is what Thomas Cook advised). The annoying thing was that the guy ( British - so no language issues ) at dalaman airport said you are not allowed any batteries on the plane at all ( Phone Charger Batteries ). I did not bother asking him about the Drone batteries as I did not want it to be an issue

Point 4. from OneOak is the only thing that I have a question mark over ( in terms of - would they always be consistant on your way out of Turkey). Thomas Cook told me to put all the Drone batteries into the hold ( which is what I did).

Following on from Kalamingo's post, has anyone figure out how to register your drone as a Tourist? Most of the issue registering with mine comes from not having a Turkish ID number it would seem...
Also sent them an e-mail, though not sure I will get a reply anytime soon...

The lesson here would be:
1. Do your research.
2. Apply a micron (very fine) filter to your research, particularly if it's from a forum.
3. Check your research again.
4. Post and hope the rules haven't changed since you hit the enter key.

Thanks OneOak.

The other issue is all check-point personnel may not be consistent or have a complete understanding regarding what's allowed.

UPDATE: amazingly i got an email reply from turkish aviation in my previous link. They said tourist cant register their drones, only locals, and we're not allowed to fly it. I then replied to ask if ican even bring it in as its already with me in europe and they replied again to advise making arrangements to send it back home before entering turkey as it would be confiscated.

Anyone ever fly from Porto to Istanbul? How are they security checks like upon arrival and passing immigration? I have a manfrotto drone bag for my phantom 4 pro and a mavic as well. Plan to chuck my mavic in my luggage but the phantom would stand out as its a huge backpack. Anyone can advise if i could discreetly make it through?

Cheers

UPDATE: amazingly i got an email reply from turkish aviation in my previous link. They said tourist cant register their drones, only locals, and we're not allowed to fly it. I then replied to ask if ican even bring it in as its already with me in europe and they replied again to advise making arrangements to send it back home before entering turkey as it would be confiscated.

Anyone ever fly from Porto to Istanbul? How are they security checks like upon arrival and passing immigration? I have a manfrotto drone bag for my phantom 4 pro and a mavic as well. Plan to chuck my mavic in my luggage but the phantom would stand out as its a huge backpack. Anyone can advise if i could discreetly make it through?

Cheers

I recently went from Milan to Istanbul and my MP was a non-issue. However, my flight was only a layover and I didn't leave the airport. YMMV

I've flown quite a bit with camera lithium batteries up to 150Wh, and my Mavic, and we always keep them in the cabin according to regulations. There has never been any issue. I cannot imagine they would actually confiscate your drones in Turkey unless you're heading into Syria, and my life experienced so far is that a vast number of people in credible positions give out very contradictive answers - which unfortunatly disfavours those who are trying their best to work by the rules. Like if they think they would just give you a big no to be "sure".

I've flown quite a bit ....

Are you referring to flying into Istanbul or flying in general with drones/drone batteries? I've flown quite abit without issues as well. Just Turkey that I'm concerned about based on lots of people's comments on various forums.

Regardless I'm going to wing it and try out my luck. It doesnt make sense that upon arrival in Turkey they'll search through your items after immigration. I'm flying off from Porto, Portugal and I assume the people scanning hand carry luggage there would be the Porto Portuguese Airport staff which have no issues with drones. Leaving Turkey to Abu Dhabi might be a different story but I'll be prepared to lose it in a worst case scenario as I'll have my footage for work in hard drives.

Hi,

I'm flying with Thomas Cook this weekend to Dalaman. I have a DJI Mavic Pro with 3 batteries. Can I take this or not? Does it need registering etc?

Finding the right information about this is really difficult.

I flew Pegasus from Italy-->Istabul-->Tel Aviv. Spent three days in Istanbul. I put the Mavic in the my check in. I took batteries in my carry on. They don't have time at the airport to inspect your bag at customs for a drone. Check with the airline, it should be fine. Worth the risk for me.

I will be heading to Turkey & doing some research on flying my mavic pro there.
Wrote to their embassy in my country & was given some links via email as below:

PLEASE DO NOT RETURN THIS MAIL...

Your request which XXXXXX registration number finalized by General Directorate Of State Airports Authority (DHMI) Call Center.

Dear XXX, The rules and procedures for registration, operation, navigation, maintenance and airworthiness of unmanned air vehicle systems is determined by DGCA (The Directorate General of Civil Aviation of Turkey). So you are required to apply to DGCA for your complaints and necessary flight permission and licence process. National Legislation has ben issued on 04.08.2016 with the circular numbered UOD-2016/7 regarding the transport of Unmanned air vehicles within the aircraft. You need to visit www.iha.shgm.gov.tr for all data such as flight permission, complaint, authorized flight schools etc. SHGM (DGCA) Call Center: +90 312 444 60 01 Web Site: Importation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle | Directorate General Of Civil Aviation Web Site for UAVs: https://iha.shgm.gov.tr/public/yardim.html (Turkish Only) Best Regards

You can query your result details with passport number and registration number from www.alo.dhmi.gov.tr...

Have a nice day...

Importation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle | Directorate General Of Civil Aviation

Importation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Importation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

Granting the Letter of Technical Conformity for Importation of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle

Any persons, operators/companies or entities, intending to import an unmanned aerial vehicle from any country to Turkey, shall make an application for technical conformity regarding importation, in order to be submitted to the concerned Customs Office, in compliance with the requirements of Article 5 (2) of the SHT-IHA Instruction.

Model Aircraft (unmanned aerial vehicles, which can be used outdoors, and maximum take-off mass/weight of which is not more than 20 kilograms, and which have no autonomous flight capability, and which are flown within the field of vision of the user, and which are used only for sports and entertainment purposes); and any flyable toys or vehicles, which have been manufactured in order to be used at indoors; as well as UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), maximum take-off mass/weight (MTOM/MTOW) of which is less than 4 kg, and maximum speed of which is less than 50 km per hour, and maximum altitude of which is not more than 100 meters to the ground, are excluded from the scope of this instruction.

And from my understanding it's ok to bring in the Mavic Pro into Turkey.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada