DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel to La Gomera (Canary Islands) with Mini 2: 2 Questions

CJG

Reactions
I've just about figured-most things for my upcoming walking/photography holiday to La Gomera.

I just have 2 things to finalise:

Is there an EU equivalent to the UK Drone Code? I want to read it before applying for my Eire/EU drone registrations but after googling I am struggling to find anything.

Should I purchase LiPo (is that the right expression)?? bags for my 3 Mini 2 batteries? EasyJet flight rules refer to the batteries (1 in drone/2 spare) being individually protected to prevent short circuits. Is the battery in the drone/2 spare being in the FlyMore Combo charging hub sufficient to meet the regulations? Or should I be buying some LiPo bags? I have seen conflicting views on this forum and elsewhere.

Thanks all.

Hi CJG.

I strongly encourage you to check ENAIRE Drones to have an idea about the Spanish airspace and other requierments regarding the locations you'll be flying.

Besides that, this is the Spanish government agency with information about using drones in Spain:

Hope this helps.

Reactions: CJG and MS Coast
Hi CJG.

I strongly encourage you to check ENAIRE Drones to have an idea about the Spanish airspace and other requierments regarding the locations you'll be flying.

Besides that, this is the Spanish government agency with information about using drones in Spain:

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this @pablohl.

Can you help me with the 2 questions I posed?

Cheers

I've just about figured-most things for my upcoming walking/photography holiday to La Gomera.

I just have 2 things to finalise:

Is there an EU equivalent to the UK Drone Code? I want to read it before applying for my Eire/EU drone registrations but after googling I am struggling to find anything.

Should I purchase LiPo (is that the right expression)?? bags for my 3 Mini 2 batteries? EasyJet flight rules refer to the batteries (1 in drone/2 spare) being individually protected to prevent short circuits. Is the battery in the drone/2 spare being in the FlyMore Combo charging hub sufficient to meet the regulations? Or should I be buying some LiPo bags? I have seen conflicting views on this forum and elsewhere.

Thanks all.
Once you sign up to the IAA it makes you watch a video containing "drone code".
Also check ENAIRE Drones as Spain has other restrictions to where you can and can't fly.
Don't bother with LiPo bags. They seem to be an American thing and no airline requires or even recommends them.
Ive had no issues in the charging hub but the other option is shove some tape over the terminals if you're worried.

30 or so flights around Europe with drone batteries in hand luggage and no airport has ever requested to even see the batteries after the X-ray yet alone prove they're taped.

Reactions: CJG
Once you sign up to the IAA it makes you watch a video containing "drone code".
Also check ENAIRE Drones as Spain has other restrictions to where you can and can't fly.
Don't bother with LiPo bags. They seem to be an American thing and no airline requires or even recommends them.
Ive had no issues in the charging hub but the other option is shove some tape over the terminals if you're worried.

30 or so flights around Europe with drone batteries in hand luggage and no airport has ever requested to even see the batteries after the X-ray yet alone prove they're taped.
Thanks @Cymru, great advice.

I tend to leave the batteries in the charging hub for my Mini and put it in hand baggage when travelling by plane. In effect it's no different from a USB power bank. Most airport security say to just treat a drone the same as any electronic device such as a laptop or tablet - ie put it in a separate tray from your main hand luggage through the scanner.

More of a grey area for lithium batteries and planes is what people do with things like electric shavers - shouldn't be in hand luggage because of blades, but shouldn't be in the hold because of the battery.... :O

Thanks for this @pablohl.

Can you help me with the 2 questions I posed?

Cheers
Hi there,

im not familiar with uk laws and I´m not sure about what UK´s Drone code is. Is it a set of rules? is it a registration number?

Regarding the drone batteries, I believe lip safe bad might be mandatory if travelling with classic LiPo RC Models batteries (the ones with the cables and connectors) but you should consider that DJI batteries are "protected" because each one has an electronic circuit inside managing the voltage, temperature, etc...
In this case the LiPo safe bags might be recommended for extra safety but not mandatory.

Also, ive just traveled with both my AIR 2s (4 batteries) and Mini 3 Pro (4 batteries) on AirEuropa flight and I had no trouble at any check point, not in the police security check and not on the plane itself.

My extra advice is to check not only the airspace but also check the National Parks (& similar nature spaces) locations because that's also regulated and they fine the pilots who does not follow the rules.

Cheers!

*sorry about my English, is not my mother language.

Every color in this image means you'll need a permit to fly there.
Also, if you zoom in you might see new areas.
Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 13.12.19.jpg

This snapshot comes from ENAIRE Drones

Every color in this image means you'll need a permit to fly there.
Also, if you zoom in you might see new areas.
View attachment 154970

This snapshot comes from ENAIRE Drones
This is actually quite depressing @pablohl.

So little of the island is available for flying, it makes me wonder whether getting an EU Licence and taking the drone is actually worth it.

What do you (and others) think?

Hi there,

im not familiar with uk laws and I´m not sure about what UK´s Drone code is. Is it a set of rules? is it a registration number?

Regarding the drone batteries, I believe lip safe bad might be mandatory if travelling with classic LiPo RC Models batteries (the ones with the cables and connectors) but you should consider that DJI batteries are "protected" because each one has an electronic circuit inside managing the voltage, temperature, etc...
In this case the LiPo safe bags might be recommended for extra safety but not mandatory.

Also, ive just traveled with both my AIR 2s (4 batteries) and Mini 3 Pro (4 batteries) on AirEuropa flight and I had no trouble at any check point, not in the police security check and not on the plane itself.

My extra advice is to check not only the airspace but also check the National Parks (& similar nature spaces) locations because that's also regulated and they fine the pilots who does not follow the rules.

Cheers!

*sorry about my English, is not my mother language.
Your English is spot on @pablohl! I can’t speak or understand any other language (well, maybe a bit; but not enough to be useful!

This is actually quite depressing @pablohl.

So little of the island is available for flying, it makes me wonder whether getting an EU Licence and taking the drone is actually worth it.

What do you (and others) think?

I´m a professional drone operator here in Spain. I know what you mean.
Everytime we prepare a flight for our customers is a pain regarding the permits. Lot of paperwork.

There are spots where you can fly freely for recreational purposes but, as you saw on earlier posts, there are a lot of them that are under some sort of requirements.

I agree on the need of a regulation / legislation about drone operations. Is a must because of several reasons regarding safety and security. But also, sometimes feels like a process not proportional to the risk involved.

In fact, the whole island is available for flying BUT you must get the proper permits first.

PS Do you happen to know who to contact to get permits?

If you visit the map website I´ve linked, you have a tool to draw in the map where you'll be flying and then you get a popup with all the entities that need to be contacted in order to get a permit.

Not the best user interface at all, but gets the job done.

If you visit the map website I´ve linked, you have a tool to draw in the map where you'll be flying and then you get a popup with all the entities that need to be contacted in order to get a permit.

Not the best user interface at all, but gets the job done.
Alas, I am afraid my Spanish isn’t up to the job of getting a permit so I will have to either leave drone at home or just fly in the “white areas”: even if not the best spots, will make a change from the UK

Alas, I am afraid my Spanish isn’t up to the job of getting a permit so I will have to either leave drone at home or just fly in the “white areas”: even if not the best spots, will make a change from the UK

Well, that website has an English version (see the screenshot) and most of Spanish government websites too.
However, I understand that all the process might be discouraging.

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 09.16.51.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1