DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on plane with your mavi pro

In a recent flight from Kelowna BC Canada to Phoenix and back, no problems or questions at all about my Mavic Pro 2. I had it in a hard case. All good. No issues.

Reactions: AMann
Anyone know if you are limited on battery number for domestic US flights?

I would tell you to go directly to the carrier page. I fly JetBlue frequently
943954a7efd25d6fd2d84dae469e7059.jpg

So I know their rules and some carriers are specific.
Oddly not once have they known I had my drone but c’est la vie
Better to know in case you get checked

Recently we traveled to Roatan Honduras and you must have all your battery’s in your carry-on. My drone was in my camera backpack along with my regular camera.

How many batteries, is there a limit? I am asking as i may be flying to NM for a weekend job next month and would like to take up to 6- I have to backpack into a remote canyon site without any field charging possibilities. Pretty excited, just passed 107 and am lining up jobs already! :)

How many batteries, is there a limit? I am asking as i may be flying to NM for a weekend job next month and would like to take up to 6- I have to backpack into a remote canyon site without any field charging possibilities. Pretty excited, just passed 107 and am lining up jobs already! :)

No limit just as long they fit in your carry-on. I took 3 drone batteries, 2 strobe batteries, 2 for UW video lights, and a assortment of AA rechargeable for my wife’s strobes.

Reactions: AMann
No limit just as long they fit in your carry-on. I took 3 drone batteries, 2 strobe batteries, 2 for UW video lights, and a assortment of AA rechargeable for my wife’s strobes.

Thank you for the reply, great news. :)

Yes, I have flown a couple of times in the USA with my drone. My colleague has flown international, no issues so far.
I take my drone as carry on, lithium batteries are prohibited in checked luggage. You could check everything except your batteries and the controller (it contains a battery), but size and weight wise you may as well carry the drone with you. I also fly with professional Nikon camera equipment, never had an issue with that either. As long as you're within the carry on luggage limits you will be fine.
Some countries have issues with drones and batteries, even if you're only in transit. So research before you travel international.
I carry all my batteries in these for my Spark and Mavic Platinum airports love these because of the risk of fire the batteries might produce1551367015837.jpeg

Reactions: Thomas B and AMann
I carry all my batteries in these for my Spark and Mavic Platinum airports love these because of the risk of fire the batteries might produceView attachment 64464

I carry the fireproof bags just in case, but I’ve never needed to use them. The batteries (3) are in my drone pack in my carry-on. I’ve done a lot of international travel with the Mavic Air and so far never had a problem.

Reactions: BigRey
I also have the bags.
First, regardless of bags you can’t put the batteries in checked luggage going to be loaded on the airplane by TSS rules. You must carry them on.
Second, the fireproof bags are required, so if they open you carryon during/ following the X-ray scan and you don’t have the bags on them you loose them or don’t take the trip.

The bags are cheap. I realize that problems with the batteries in flight must be VERY uncommon, but why risk your safety at all, and that of others, to save a few bucks.
Just my $0.02

Second, the fireproof bags are required, so if they open you carryon during/ following the X-ray scan and you don’t have the bags on them you loose them or don’t take the trip.
Fireproof bags are not required in the US. The FAA only requires batteries to be protected from damage and short circuit. See more details here.

While fireproof bags would satisfy this FAA requirement, you could also cover the battery connectors with a piece of tape or insert the batteries into a case meant to hold them.

I also have the bags.
First, regardless of bags you can’t put the batteries in checked luggage going to be loaded on the airplane by TSS rules. You must carry them on.
Go back and read post #11
Airport security people have never asked anyone about Lipo bags.
If you showed them one, they wouldn't know what it is.

I’ve been back and forth to Maui where I live part time, and have always put my batteries in my carry on with No bags. Delta Airlines.
TSA doesn’t even pull them out of my bag because it’s not bigger than a cell phone. I ask every time if they want me to get them out and they say NO.
Drone, hard drive, iPad , and phone are the only things I’ve had to put in cubby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54