DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling on plane with your mavi pro

I flew to Ecuador with my M2P. On way down the aircraft was in the checked bag inside a well padded camera accessory box. Batteries were with me in carry on. On way back up aircraft and all batteries and accessories were with me in carry on. FAA does not allow the batteries in checked baggage. No problems with TSA or with the Ecuadorian security. If asked about it I planned to say it's photographic equipment, but no one asked.

Reactions: Whitewaterflies
Can we carry on with us? Or will they force us to check it.
Lots of people have done it. You should have no trouble as long as the batteries are in your carry-on bag. And if you want your drone to arrive in one piece, you should pack that in your carry-on bag too.

Yes, I have flown a couple of times in the USA with my drone. My colleague has flown international, no issues so far.
I take my drone as carry on, lithium batteries are prohibited in checked luggage. You could check everything except your batteries and the controller (it contains a battery), but size and weight wise you may as well carry the drone with you. I also fly with professional Nikon camera equipment, never had an issue with that either. As long as you're within the carry on luggage limits you will be fine.
Some countries have issues with drones and batteries, even if you're only in transit. So research before you travel international.

Reactions: Whitewaterflies
I’ve done quite a bit of travel with my Mavic Air. Same principles would apply to Pro. Never had any problem packing it as carry-on. Batteries need to be close to fully discharged. I comply with this, though l’ve never been asked to prove it. In principle, you could be required to carry the batteries in fire-proof envelopes. This would make them awfully bulky. I carry the envelopes just in case, but just leave batteries in the carry pack. When empty the sleeves are flat and compact and easily packed. To date, I have never been required to insert the batteries into the sleeves. I’ve never had my drone singled out for inspection at X-Ray security check-in.

Reactions: Leon47
I carried on with JetBlue no problem at all in fact they weren’t even phased.
It’s basically a camera although their specific restriction is one battery in the drone and two others in a an actual fireproof case which are pretty cheap from amazon
The drone goes in a basket at security and bam you’re good to go.

I put each battery (4) in a zip lock sandwich bag, and then put all of them in a gallon size bag in my carry on. Security didn’t even care about pulling them out. Rules said anything bigger than a smart phone. iPad and Mavic out in a basket- all good through DTW , Seattle and Maui.
Like already stated, they just see it as another camera/electronic equipment.
Have a safe trip [emoji106]

Batteries need to be close to fully discharged. I comply with this, though l’ve never been asked to prove it. In principle, you could be required to carry the batteries in fire-proof envelopes.
This is a myth that is spread in forums but no airline, air safety authority or airport security check people have ever heard of it.
There is no requirement to discharge batteries for travel or use LiPo bags.

I have flown to the Philippines several times with different drones, always carried on with all batteries. No one, especially security, cares.

This is a myth that is spread in forums but no airline, air safety authority or airport security check people have ever heard of it.
There is no requirement to discharge batteries for travel or use LiPo bags.

Actually it’s not an airport regulation it goes by carrier. It’s funny because the reality is that security doesn’t work for the individual carrier so they just tend to treat it as camera equipment typically they don’t even know the batteries are batteries however technically the carrier can ask to verify you’re in compliance but what are the odds of that ?

Actually it’s not an airport regulation it goes by carrier. It’s funny because the reality is that security doesn’t work for the individual carrier so they just tend to treat it as camera equipment typically they don’t even know the batteries are batteries however technically the carrier can ask to verify you’re in compliance but what are the odds of that ?
There's no requirement from any airline or any other relevant authority.
The discharge to travel thing is 100% myth.

Reactions: Thomas B
There's no requirement from any airline or any other relevant authority.
The discharge to travel thing is 100% myth.

785a90ec9a4ef6cceafb1a983aab1b81.jpg
ok no requirement from any airline.
Research vs Imagination

Travelled in US and Canada. No issue with Mavic as carry-on. If checked, batteries still have to be as carry-on. Occasionally security asks for the drone to power up, very infrequently though. Keep batteries in some charged state in case of this check.

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde