DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling with a drone??

kevtmc

Reactions
A generic sort of question, but I am wondering how to travel in the U.S. with my drone & 3 batteries, in a pelican case, on the airlines. Does TSA give travelers with drones any problems and is it better/ required to take it as carry-on or check it? What other regulations should I be concerned with? Thanks!

Batteries must be carried on. Lipo bags are not required, but I use them for safety. Discharge batteries to 30-50% before traveling.
You can find more info here:

I carry other photo gear and "must-haves" in a carry-on sized camera backpack when travelling, with my M2P is wrapped up in a bubble bag amongst all the other gear. Like Thomas B I have all my spare batteries at less than 50% charge and in LiPo bags in there as well. Even when my bag has been flagged for extra attention no one has ever looked in the bubble wrap or queried the LiPos - I guess they just dismiss it as an extra fragile bit of photo gear (which it is).

It also lets me travel with a single bag I can stow in the overhead locker and forget about, and a much smaller one for things like my tablet that I actually want on the flight. Might be worth thinking about a similar approach if you're doing this a lot.

I just recently flew on an American subsidiary from Charlotte to JFK and back. In Charlotte, TSA opened my carry-on backpack to have a look see. At JFK upon the return trip they didn't look at it at all. I had two bats, one on the drone and one in a backpack pocket, plus a Crystalsky with battery installed and an extra one with the drone bat.

There are many threads on this (Search results for query: airlines ). Basically, airlines like the batteries in carry-on so they can address a problem if it should arise and, personally, I would not give baggage handlers the chance to drop the case it is in (not that they are careless, but accidents happen). A camera-style backpack would work better than a pelican case for carry-on.

There are many threads on this (Search results for query: airlines ). Basically, airlines like the batteries in carry-on so they can address a problem if it should arise and, personally, I would not give baggage handlers the chance to drop the case it is in (not that they are careless, but accidents happen). A camera-style backpack would work better than a pelican case for carry-on.
I’d use a hard case. Have you seen how carry-on is treated in overhead bins. Not as bad as checked bags of course, but folks just stuff things in with force.

Reactions: Turn11
I’d use a hard case. Have you seen how carry-on is treated in overhead bins. Not as bad as checked bags of course, but folks just stuff things in with force.
Camera packs are padded so it should help protect the contents. A hard case offers better protection but I was thinking of using it after the plane ride. A camera backpack is a lot easier to tote around than a hard case, unless you can find a padded one with back straps.

Reactions: Thomas B
Camera packs are padded so it should help protect the contents. A hard case offers better protection but I was thinking of using it after the plane ride. A camera backpack is a lot easier to tote around than a hard case, unless you can find a padded one with back straps.
Agree

Also, if you get a standard carry-on sized backpack, it'll normally go in the overhead locker bottom first/top handle outermost. Not only is that the way cabin crew prefer bags to go in the lockers, it doesn't leave much room on top or in front of it for anyone else to ram anything else in. :)

Reactions: Carb63
Batteries must be carried on. Lipo bags are not required, but I use them for safety. Discharge batteries to 30-50% before traveling.
You can find more info here:
remember also that the maximum carry on LiPo is <= 100 W and it is strongly suggested to cover the metallic contacts of the battery to prevent any shortcut

Somewhere back in the mists of drone forum time, myths were created and every time someone asks about flying with drones, the same myths come out.
Discharge batteries to 30-50% before traveling.
I have all my spare batteries at less than 50% charge and in LiPo bags in there as well.
A Lipo bag is required at almost all airlines.
Contrary to what you'll read on the forum again and again, no airline and no air traffic authority asks for or recommends discharging your batteries for travel.
None recommend Lipo bags either.
No airport security checkin people will look at or ask about your battery's state of charge and they wouldn't know what a Lipo bag is if you asked them.
Lipo bags and discharging batteries are not required at all.
It's just a persistent forum myth.
remember also that the maximum carry on LiPo is <= 100 W
Since the biggest Mavic battery is 59Wh this is irrelevant to a Mavic traveller.

Last edited:
Other than John the Beast, no one you quoted above said discharging or LiPo bags are required (AFAIK, neither are required anywhere) just that it's what we *choose* to do. I'm well aware that the only thing that is currently required - and pretty much everywhere - is that batteries be in carry on, e.g. in the cabin.

From a practical point of view, these things store a lot of energy and can become volatile if subjected to impact or other compressive forces, which they might experience in extreme turbulence if not well packed. It's very rare, but there have been incidents of LiPos (and LiIons, especially if Samsung /rimshot) starting to smoke on planes, for whatever reason.

Frankly, it's more for peace of mind; in the unlikely event one of my batteries does have an issue, a lower energy density and the bag should give the cabin crew a little longer to deal with it. Since I'm going to be pretty close to the scene I'd rather give them as much time as possible to do so.

Reactions: rc51tofuman
A generic sort of question, but I am wondering how to travel in the U.S. with my drone & 3 batteries, in a pelican case, on the airlines. Does TSA give travelers with drones any problems and is it better/ required to take it as carry-on or check it? What other regulations should I be concerned with? Thanks!
It doesn’t need to be carried on but if you put it in your checked luggage, due to the fact that the underbelly storage compartment is not pressurized, you must drain the batteries to 30% or less because they could explode. If you carry them on with you, you do not need to drain them because you are in a pressurized cabin.

Reactions: Carb63
It doesn’t need to be carried on but if you put it in your checked luggage, due to the fact that the underbelly storage compartment is not pressurized, you must drain the batteries to 30% or less because they could explode. If you carry them on with you, you do not need to drain them because you are in a pressurized cabin.

Pls do not put Lipo batteries in checked baggage(!!!), and instead, keep them with you in the cabin. Discharged, in fire suppressant bags or not, it doesn't matter, but at least, keep the rest of us safe.
Thanks!

PS: Few corrections to what Hagence said:
Fact 1: If you are flying in a jetliner, the baggage compartment IS pressurized.
Fact 2: The lipo's will not explode, but a cell may overheat, and quickly start a fire with the cells next to it. Very rapidly, the whole compartment could be on fire.
Fact 3: Although baggage compartments are equipped with fire suppressant system, they are likely not entirely effective, and remain every airline pilot's nightmare.
Fact 4: if a fire were to start in the cabin instead, flight attendants are/may be equipped with pizza size fire suppressant bags and trained to contain a lipo fire. Furthermore, the cockpit crew would immediately be notified, and execute an emergency descent to the nearest airport. Much quicker to wait for the baggage hold to be on fire!

Last edited:
Reactions: kilomikebravo
Pls do not put Lipo batteries in checked baggage(!!!), and instead, keep them with you in the cabin. Discharged, in fire suppressant bags or not, it doesn't matter, but at least, keep the rest of us safe.
Thanks!

PS: Few corrections to the above post:
Fact 1: If you are flying in a jetliner, the baggage compartment IS pressurized.
Fact 2: The lipo's will not combust, but a cell may overheat, and quickly start a fire with the cells next to it. Very rapidly, the whole compartment could be on fire.
Fact 3: Although baggage compartments are equipped with fire suppressant system, they are likely not entirely effective, and remain every airline pilot's nightmare.
Fact 4: if a fire were to start in the cabin instead, flight attendants are/may be equipped with pizza size fire suppressant bags and trained to contain a lipo fire. Furthermore, the cockpit crew would immediately notified, and execute an emergency descent to the nearest airport. Much quicker to wait for the baggage hold to be on fire!
I’ve only flown twice with mine and Only repeating what they told me both times.

I traveled with my MP and 3 batt. With no issues from tsa. I did call my airline and ask for their requirements, they stated as long as i was carrying it on there would be no issue. I did buy lipo bags and had the other batteries in them. But ultimately, not a problem. Flew from JFK TO ORL. Happy flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro