DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling with a drone??

I traveled with my MP and 3 batt. With no issues from tsa. I did call my airline and ask for their requirements, they stated as long as i was carrying it on there would be no issue. I did buy lipo bags and had the other batteries in them. But ultimately, not a problem. Flew from JFK TO ORL. Happy flying.
My drone is with me in the carry on. Do not trust anyone handling my equipment.

It doesn’t need to be carried on but if you put it in your checked luggage, due to the fact that the underbelly storage compartment is not pressurized, you must drain the batteries to 30% or less because they could explode. If you carry them on with you, you do not need to drain them because you are in a pressurized cabin.
I’ve only flown twice with mine and Only repeating what they told me both times.
What you heard was wrong.
There is no IF.
Lipo batteries are to be in carry-on luggage only and not in checked luggage.
(and there's no need to discharge batteries for travel).

Reactions: altaic
What you heard was wrong.
There is no IF.
Lipo batteries are to be in carry-on luggage only and not in checked luggage.
(and there's no need to discharge batteries for travel).

Absolutely correct [emoji106].
I’ve been back and forth 1/2 dz times (Maui-Michigan) this year carrying the drone, plus 4 batteries in my carry (backpack).
Only one time the TSA questioned what the odd shaped electronic thingy was in my bag. I explained what it was, and through I went.
According to them (I asked) , if it’s not bigger than a cell phone, no need to pull out of bag.

YMMV

My drone is with me in the carry on. Do not trust anyone handling my equipment.

Agree completely.
I put the Mavic (in the case) in my checked luggage and I found the luggage had been inspected where the gimbal clamp was off and not even near the drone.
Don’t know why they took it off, but I learned my lesson to always carry it with me. The complete setup (besides the charger) stays with me the whole trip in my backpack

Reactions: Carb63
I travel between Seattle and Florida for business once a month and bring my MA. I carry it in a hard case with 3 batteries. The only trouble I get is from the Check-in counter (airline and hotel). They almost always ask, "excuse me sir, is that a gun"!!! I respond with an "of course not!" Rarely do they then ask me what it is. If they do ask I tell them it is an expensive camera with props.

I’ve flown with my M2P and 3 batteries a couple of times. I put it all in the Fly More bag which then went into my backpack with other misc camera gear and electronics. Not a peep from TSA, although I am pre-check so that helps.

I've flown many times (domestic) with my Mavic and multiple batteries in a hard-covered case with no interruptions by TSA or airlines. I do, however, carry an empty Lipo-Safe bag for each batt if I'm ever challenged. I can do a quick repack if needed.

Reactions: Carb63 and ff22
I've flown many times (domestic) with my Mavic and multiple batteries in a hard-covered case with no interruptions by TSA or airlines. I do, however, carry an empty Lipo-Safe bag for each batt if I'm ever challenged. I can do a quick repack if needed.
I just put them on. Bad enough taking off shoes, belt, etc for security checkpoint.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Fromt the Wizz Air.com Lithium batteries regulation:
Whether or not a lithium battery can be carried by air depends on its Watt-hour (Wh) rating (for lithium-ion, chargeable batteries) or its lithium content in grams (for lithium-metal, non-chargeable batteries).
When carrying consumer electronic devices (watches, calculating machines, cameras, mobile phones, laptop computers, camcorders, etc.) containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries, spare batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch) and carried in cabin baggage only.
Don’t put spare batteries in your checked-in baggage!
In addition, each installed or spare battery must not exceed the following:
  • Lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries cannot contain more than 2 grams of lithium.
  • Lithium ion batteries cannot have a watt-hour rating of more than 100 Wh.
Lithium ion batteries exceeding a watt-hour rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried as spare batteries or in equipment in cabin baggage only, after the approval of Wizz Air.
No more than two (2) individually protected spare batteries with watt-hour rating between 100 and 160Wh may be carried per person.

Reactions: altaic
Camera packs are padded so it should help protect the contents. A hard case offers better protection but I was thinking of using it after the plane ride. A camera backpack is a lot easier to tote around than a hard case, unless you can find a padded one with back straps.
I brought a carry strap from Ali express to go around my (rather large) phantom pelican case. I wouldn’t take the phantom travelling but I do use the straps if I have to walk more than a couple of hundred metres. It basically turns the case into a backpack and is very comfortable. Maybe an option to take so you can have a harder case but still carry it comfortably.

I have a soft backpad for my M2P, and have traveled several times without any problems. I personally prefer to store it under the seat in front of me so it is not subject to some jerk trying to stuff his oversized bag into an overhead.

One time I threw my drone and batteries loosely in a carry-on duffle for a short one hour flight. I’ve flown many times domestically and internationally without issue. My drone has received the same attention as other camera or computer equipment, which means not much.

Camera packs are padded so it should help protect the contents. A hard case offers better protection but I was thinking of using it after the plane ride. A camera backpack is a lot easier to tote around than a hard case, unless you can find a padded one with back straps.

Good points.
A great backpack with both is the Lowepro Droneguard BP250, all the flexible internals of a camera backpack, and the main compartment has a hard shell lid that unzips.
Made for the MP, it’d be perfect for the later MP range too.

I travel extensively worldwide, and no airline allows checked bags to have LiPo batteries inside.

Cargo only flights can carry LiPo's. The shipping and packing rules are very stringent.

I've had my batteries checked for their capacity on several occasions. I carry a printed copy of the IATA regulations. I have shown it to doubtful or curious security people several times, and saved myself several hassles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne