DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling to Canada by air - can I take my Mavic Pro?

blackninja

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to the west coast and then through the Rockies o Calgary by road. I would absolutely love to take my Mavic Pro to get some fantastic footage. There are mixed comments about this.

Can I fly into Canada with it?

Can I fly Mavic Pro while in Canada?

Is there an official source for information?

I am a US Citizen.

Appreciate any advise.

I
Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to the west coast and then through the Rockies o Calgary by road. I would absolutely love to take my Mavic Pro to get some fantastic footage. There are mixed comments about this.

I am a US Citizen.

Appreciate any advise.
If you fly across the border, the Canadian Customs people will stop you or call the RCMP and then how would you retrieve it once it's in Canada and you are in the States?
You'd be best to drive or fly commercial with it in your possession and declare it. Should be no issue!
I was kidding about flying across the border! Lol!

I wouldn't fly across the border, you don't want to get arrested. You can fly in Canada legally depending on where you are. In most locations they limit you to 90m height (about 295 ft) and 500m distance (1,640 ft) with line-of-sight.

You can't fly in national parks, huge fines are up for grabs ($3000?) but some people in Banff area have just had warnings. You can't fly in provincial parks in Alberta, I'm not sure about BC. Within cities, most major cities have additional drone regulations. Smaller cities and towns usually don't.

If you're in the middle of nowhere in the mountains - and not in national park - you can probably get away with flying much farther and higher. Just don't terrorize the wildlife or people, and don't published a video showing you were 500m in the air :)

Reactions: Chadnovz
Hello everyone,

I am a US Citizen.

Appreciate any advise.
Take it, there are many great shots to be had, fly respectfully and enjoy.

I didn't take my drone to San Francisco because I was worried about flight restrictions on lipo batteries.

I took 2 Mavics and extra batteries as carry-ons from Vegas to Vancouver and back to Vegas in early July 2017. No problems going there or coming back. Stayed in Whistler. Hiked to Wedgemount Lake and Garibaldi Lake in Garibaldi Provincial Park. I couldn't find any specific park restrictions on drones. Everyone there thought it was cool I was flying a drone. Incredible scenery and I got some awesome footage. But just like in the US National Parks are a no no.

Last edited:
BC parks say you can't take or land inside the boundaries. Not that you can't fly over (at any height).

Thanks for the all the info. To clarify, I will not be flying the drone over the border. I will fly commercial to Canada on vacation and wanted to take it with me to fly in Banff, Lake Louise etc.

Banff and Lake Louise would a no no. Inside a national park. Nfz in all np sadly.

You can fly in Canmore, just outside of Banff and outside the national park. Still surrounded by mountains and it's gorgeous. The only bummer is the 90m height restriction.

Reactions: Chadnovz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom