DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tree Crash and Recovery

NightFlightAlright

Reactions

So, my first week with the DJI Mini 2 and THIS SHOT (with sound)

This happened right at sunset...

I very clearly miss judged the height of this one tree. Something of an optical illusion made me think it was no more than 30 feet tall… In reality it was closer to 80 feet tall. And I could not see the drone in it, not at all. I turned on beeping and flashing under find my drone, and I did eventually hear it, but I was unable to see the blinking lights as they are simply too dim on the Mini 2. After nightfall I was just able to make out the blinking lights way up in the tree and I was able to identify the approximate location.

iPhone 12 images:
1.jpeg 2.jpeg

To better see it, using my Nikon and 300mm lens:
3.jpeg

I ran to Home Depot and Harbor Freght buying ladders and really long poles, twine and weights.. and... I don't know what I was thinking—that tree is way too tall for a ladder or even a 24 foot long pole… So by 2 AM I gave up and went home to get some rest, as the last photo I took showed it was pretty solidly in there and it wasn't gonna rain, so there wasn't a huge rush to try and get it down.

The next day I took a look again, and in daylight I realized how tall that tree really was.

4.jpeg

And my DJI Mini 2 was still safely stuck!
5.jpeg6.jpeg

But HOW am I going to get it??!!

So, crazy thing, immediately next door was a tree trimming service with guys scaling the trees with ropes, like Tarzan.
7.jpeg

I was able to convince the foreman (with a wad of cash) to get his guys to retreive the drone...
8.jpeg

You can see when there are these big guys there next to the tree, for scale, how really big this tree is...

9.jpeg10.jpeg

It was a lot of work for them, probably over an hour... the drone was above any climbable branch, but he was able to pull the branch down and grab the drone.

He hoisted up my laptop case and used it for the drone while he climbed down. Mission Accomplished...

HAPPY ENDING

And the drone? NOT A SCRATCH. Still works perfectly... (well except for not avoiding obsticles as much as I'd like, LOL).

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317
Fantastic ending! Glad it worked out for you.

The images you attempted to post did not work. You need to copy and paste them directly in the post

Glad you got it back safe and sound.

You were filming the building across the street and it looks interesting from the Google maps street view.

I'd be tempted to fly through the ring (pictures 4 and 8).

Me tooooo!

Ah nuts... I see they are linked to my facebook instead of being drag/dropped ooops, thank you for letting me know!!
You can edit your post to include them

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys