DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tried to fly today...

Hiwayman

Reactions
Tried to fly today at a location in UK with mini 2. Kept getting compass calibration messages and calibration attempts failed....never experienced that before. Eventually I got the drone to fly but was immediately faced with a warning about being in a military area and drone could go into hover mode.
To avoid issues I landed and left the area. There are no military establishments close by but there is a prison 0.8 miles away. Would that have caused the failure to calibrate and the subsequent message about military closeby ?

Reactions: Chris4koi
Tried to fly today at a location in UK with mini 2. Kept getting compass calibration messages and calibration attempts failed....never experienced that before. Eventually I got the drone to fly but was immediately faced with a warning about being in a military area and drone could go into hover mode.
To avoid issues I landed and left the area. There are no military establishments close by but there is a prison 0.8 miles away. Would that have caused the failure to calibrate and the subsequent message about military closeby ?
Prisons generally are no fly zones.. Not sure why it would be classified as a military zone..

Calibration issue can be caused if your take off point contains a lot of metal or is metal.. that can mess up the compass, once you move away from there, then things may stabilize on their own. Though checking calibration would not hurt.

Prisons generally are no fly zones.. Not sure why it would be classified as a military zone..

Calibration issue can be caused if your take off point contains a lot of metal or is metal.. that can mess up the compass, once you move away from there, then things may stabilize on their own. Though checking calibration would not hurt.
I understand about the prison...but was surprised if that was precluding my flight nearly a mile away.

There are apps that can tell you that. Not sure if B4UFLY works in the UK

I understand about the prison...but was surprised if that was precluding my flight nearly a mile away.

Your failure to calibrate has no bearing on any of that, , most likely your take off point as the other forum member stated was compromised do to Magnetic interference from the take off point not the the Prison or Geo fence or being in a Restricted area.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on the Water.

Would that have caused the failure to calibrate and the subsequent message about military closeby ?
No. A no-fly-zone would not have had any effect on your ability to calibrate the compass
I understand the issues around prisons, but if they are now jamming beyond their perimeter it would be helpful to be informed ...and what radius are being restricted ?
It's most unlikely that any jamming was going on.
You would need to identify the actual cause of your issue rather than making assumptions that might not be relevant.
The prison might not have been the issue at all.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
There are apps that can tell you that. Not sure if B4UFLY works in the UK
No it doesn’t. The FAA had the makers of Kittyhawk revamp it after the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act. The FAA does not hold any sway in the UK.

Prisons should not be able to jam or effect the flight of any aircraft beyond its property. All such areas in the USA that are restricted show up on the UAS Facilities Map.

To the OP, I would suggest contacting the CAA to see what light they can shed on the area you had issues in.

Drone flies fine today away from the location of yesterday's issues.
Will liaise with my training provider and CAA to see what could have caused this.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3