DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with Camera at night

Ruthless0ne

Reactions
OK so, I am not a photography guy, hoping some of you more experienced guys can assist.

I have a Computerized Christmas light show on my house, 20k lights all flashing and timed to music. I cant get my Mavic to film it clearly. Auto sucked, then I tried 4K 24FPS ISO 1600 1/50 based on someone posting about fireworks.. Still sucked. It's totally blurry on both auto and the above settings. Any advice?

Ok so basics in photography

ISO is sensor sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO the more " noise " you will have in the image based on shutter speed.

Shutter speed of course is how long the shutter stays open to collect light. So higher ISO works better with quicker shutter speeds. Just be aware of noise.

If your highlights are " blown out " look at maybe trying a low strength filter, especially with filming versus still shots. A ND filter will blur the sharpness slightly for a softer cinematic effect and allow slower shutter speeds with better light sensitivity.

Personally I'm still learning the mavic camera system but I usually shoot nikons for ground work. Good luck and hit me up if you have more issues

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Given the relatively small sensor size you're using the wrong tool for the job.
That said I would set the ISO to 800 max, adjust shutter speed to get best light balance.
As mentioned don't use auto focus.

AH didn't know it existed :) That will be a huge help in tripod mode for recording. I think with a set of ND and the manual focusing.. I think I just might have what I need :) Thanks so much guys!

Reactions: k3vnnyork
What I would do is launch during the day - mark your launch point, fly to whatever altitude you need to, then auto-focus on your house. Then switch to manual focus - this will hold your focus point. Then at night, launch from the same point and climb to the exact altitude you were at earlier in the day, and it should be in focus. Just make sure you leave it on manual focus, or it will continue to struggle to find focus. Would love to see it if you get it to work!

OK so, I am not a photography guy, hoping some of you more experienced guys can assist.

I have a Computerized Christmas light show on my house, 20k lights all flashing and timed to music. I cant get my Mavic to film it clearly. Auto sucked, then I tried 4K 24FPS ISO 1600 1/50 based on someone posting about fireworks.. Still sucked. It's totally blurry on both auto and the above settings. Any advice?

The camera of Mavic Pro is not built for nighttime video capturing. Upgrade to Phantom 4 Pro, or if you don't care sensors and flight distance, downgrade to Phantom 3 Pro.

AH didn't know it existed :) That will be a huge help in tripod mode for recording. I think with a set of ND and the manual focusing.. I think I just might have what I need :) Thanks so much guys!
Ummm ND filters REDUCE available light - the opposite of what you want to do.

Wait... Forget ND filters for ANYTHING involving low light! ND filters are simply sunglasses for your camera sensor. You use ND filters for EXACTLY the same reason you would put sunglasses on your face: It's too bright outside. In photography, we use ND filters to get the specific kind of photos (usually blurred motion) you are looking for in bright light. With a ND filter, you can slow the shutter speed down to get blurred motion (like when filming waves or waterfalls) effects we call "silking".
You would NEVER use a ND filter at night. I'm not a cinematographer per se, but I can't even think of a single reason to use a ND filter for video shooting at all. Anytime. Anywhere. Not on these cameras.
The Mavic sensor is simply too small for GOOD low light photography. Period. Ever. Under any conditions. No way around it. It's like trying to figure out how to get a Toyota Prius to pull a 30 ft. camping trailer. Can't do it.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
ISO800 is the limit for this little sensor and is still quite usable. ISO1600 has way too much noise to be usable, however.

You can get away with filming at ISO800 at nighttime for most situations.

ND filters are not what you want here ~at all. They slow the shutter speed down, by essentially making the scene darker. You don't need *darker* for this type of shoot. Bad idea :):(

if ISO1600 1/50 is the exposure level you are happy with, I would try shooting at ISO800 & 1/25.

The "smooth cinematic motion" to set the shutter speed doubling the frame rate doesn't really matter much in nighttime light show I suppose?
But changing from ISO1600 to ISO800 gives a so much different result.

Manual Focus at night for sure, and as you said it's totally blurry, I believe it is mainly the focus problem.

I only suggested ND filters if highlights were being blown out

I only suggested ND filters if highlights were being blown out
ND filters are indeed neutral. They adjust all light evenly. If the camera compensates for them by adjusting the shutter speed, the result would be the same, just at a slower shutter speed. For video ND filters are best used on sunny days. I think the shutter would be too slow for night shooting with them.

I’m a long time pro photographer/videographer.

Here is my advice and it is at least worth what you are paying for it:

First, no ND for low light shooting.

Second, don’t go over ISO. 800, 400 is preferable for this sensor.

Third, don’t wait until it is absolutely pitch dark out. Just after sunset, balance the darkened scene with your lights. You’ll have a small window of opportunity in which to work, where everything balances.

Fourth, pan and move slowly to keep motion blur at a minimum.

Fifth, don’t sweat a little under exposure. You can raise it in post if necessary.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming