DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trouble with FAA and Police

As for what the OP has to look forward to, if the FAA is investigating, it may not be as bad as it sounds. The Regional/local FAA authority will most likely ask for an interview either via telephone or in person, and ask about what you were doing, when you were doing it, who you contacted etc. Having your Private certificate would probably be a plus; you certainly don't want to claim ignorance.
Years ago, I was flying a single engine A/C photographing a hot air balloon festival.I filed a flight plan, even though none was required, and was in contact with the local tower continuously, and maintaining legal horizontal and vertical clearances to both the ground and the balloons.
At least in those days, Balloonists considered powered A/C their nemesis, and claimed (generally rightfully) their ROW over all other aircraft. At any rate, in spite of flying legally, someone complained (probably one of the balloonists), and the FAA investigated. It was a 15 minute conversation. I described exactly what I was doing, and precautions I took.
After the interview, he said "Thank you; Fly safely".
Bottom line: be prepared for the interview. Have detailed flight information including locations/altitude and times. It might not have been the wisest decision to fly anywhere near the departure end of ANY active RW, but at least you can try to convince the investigator you knew what you were doing. Good luck, and Fly Safely!

Reactions: Ibulleti
i thought if you were with in 1 mile radius the drone would not even take off,outside a mile but with in 5 miles your required to notify atc
From FAA website:

To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:
  • Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts
And if you have your UAV license (Airman's Certificate) you don't have to notify the airports if the airspace is not restricted; in the OP's case he would not have thad to notify this airport if flying under his Part 107 license; Why didn't he? I guess he was being honest and was not flying commercially--which is why I am so grouchy on this post: The OP did everything right and was even honest about 'today I am flying as a hobbiest so I'll notify the airport'

Reactions: Madara
From FAA website:

To fly under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft you must:
  • Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY
  • Register your model aircraft
  • Fly within visual line-of-sight
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Notify the airport and air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport*
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts
And if you have your UAV license (Airman's Certificate) you don't have to notify the airports if the airspace is not restricted; in the OP's case he would not have thad to notify this airport if flying under his Part 107 license; Why didn't he? I guess he was being honest and was not flying commercially--which is why I am so grouchy on this post: The OP did everything right and was even honest about 'today I am flying as a hobbiest so I'll notify the airport'
Point 6 is the clincher. That is a pretty big MUST to ignore.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
As for what the OP has to look forward to, if the FAA is investigating, it may not be as bad as it sounds. The Regional/local FAA authority will most likely ask for an interview either via telephone or in person, and ask about what you were doing, when you were doing it, who you contacted etc. Having your Private certificate would probably be a plus; you certainly don't want to claim ignorance.
Years ago, I was flying a single engine A/C photographing a hot air balloon festival.I filed a flight plan, even though none was required, and was in contact with the local tower continuously, and maintaining legal horizontal and vertical clearances to both the ground and the balloons.
At least in those days, Balloonists considered powered A/C their nemesis, and claimed (generally rightfully) their ROW over all other aircraft. At any rate, in spite of flying legally, someone complained (probably one of the balloonists), and the FAA investigated. It was a 15 minute conversation. I described exactly what I was doing, and precautions I took.
After the interview, he said "Thank you; Fly safely".
Bottom line: be prepared for the interview. Have detailed flight information including locations/altitude and times. It might not have been the wisest decision to fly anywhere near the departure end of ANY active RW, but at least you can try to convince the investigator you knew what you were doing. Good luck, and Fly Safely!

In these situations, is it ever best to decline the interview? Does the FAA have legal authority to compel production of your flight logs? I am guessing yes if 107 but no if hobbyist. This has been very informative good luck Zach I hope this blows over.

Bottom line. Airports no no, ...... !
No that is not the bottom line; The bottom line is to always follow FAA regs and state and local laws; and he did that--he was not flying at an airport--he was filming a parade near an airport in unrestricted airspace--the FAA says he can fly his drone there and he has a UAV Part 107 license saying he knows the regs and is not some rookie-yahoo out flying into things! He obeyed the law and he called the airport--they did not say no! He did everything that he was supposed to do in order to film the parade from a drone--the ATC knew exactly where he was and what he was doing; then a police officer comes up to inquire (his job to investigate) and the officer did nothing but say: 'move along folks--there's nothing to see here!" (Took down info) LOL

No that is not the bottom line; The bottom line is to always follow FAA regs and state and local laws; and he did that--he was not flying at an airport--he was filming a parade near an airport in unrestricted airspace--the FAA says he can fly his drone there and he has a UAV Part 107 license saying he knows the regs and is not some rookie-yahoo out flying into things! He obeyed the law and he called the airport--they did not say no! He did everything that he was supposed to do in order to film the parade from a drone--the ATC knew exactly where he was and what he was doing; then a police officer comes up to inquire (his job to investigate) and the officer did nothing but say: 'move along folks--there's nothing to see here!" (Took down info) LOL
Again...COMMON SENSE and SAFETY rule the day...be safe, fly SMART

He didn't yield to operating aircraft, and he photographed a parade by flying over the road. Neither is safe. This is his problem.

He could fly at a small airport, but he would need a spotter and put the drone on the ground when an aircraft was preparing for takeoff or landing. This is why airfield traffic pattern is taught in part 107.

Any recreational flying at an airport is a poor choice, but it's not the core issue here.

A great way to photograph a parade is to walk with the drone and use it as a steady cam. Should be able to get more impactful shots than trying to fly and avoid people.

They were taking off on that run way my direction/right over my flight path. They were 200+ft already by the time they reached my area. I lowered when I heard a plane starting to take off.

looking at that picture... in what earth did you think it was a good idea to take off at the end of a runway and fly around? especially smaller aircraft.

He didn't yield to operating aircraft, and he photographed a parade by flying over the road. Neither is safe. This is his problem.

He could fly at a small airport, but he would need a spotter and put the drone on the ground when an aircraft was preparing for takeoff or landing. This is why airfield traffic pattern is taught in part 107.

Any recreational flying at an airport is a poor choice, but it's not the core issue here.
You are saying things you have no idea whether true or not; and you are stating things that are not accurate--in order:

He did indeed yield to aircraft! OP said he did; it was only when OP called them back to see what's up after the policeman came up to him that ATC told him he was not yielding--if he wasn't yielding then why didn't ATC call him? They had his phone number if not then ATC did a shoddy job because FAA says to get it!)
Nothing wrong with filming a parade! (FAA says it's OK as long as you don't fly over people)
Nothing wrong with flying over a road! (FAA says it's OK)
Both are safe! (You said neither were but FAA says both are safe)
He does not need a spotter! (FAA says you don't need a spotter unless flying FPV)
He brought the drone down when aircraft approached! (FAA says only to avoid them; he did)
OP is Part 107 certified so he knows about traffic patterns which is why he set up where he did--Did you look at his map? Neither runway 21 or 26 were in line with him)
He didn't fly at an airport; he flew near an airport! It's not a bad choice--there was a parade he wanted to snap some shots; (FAA says to notify ATC if within 5 miles of an airport and he did that and the ATC had no issue!)

Reactions: Drgnfli
You are saying things you have no idea whether true or not; and you are stating things that are not accurate--in order:

He did indeed yield to aircraft! OP said he did; it was only when OP called them back to see what's up after the policeman came up to him that ATC told him he was not yielding--if he wasn't yielding then why didn't ATC call him? They had his phone number if not then ATC did a shoddy job because FAA says to get it!)
Nothing wrong with filming a parade! (FAA says it's OK as long as you don't fly over people)
Nothing wrong with flying over a road! (FAA says it's OK)
Both are safe! (You said neither were but FAA says both are safe)
He does not need a spotter! (FAA says you don't need a spotter unless flying FPV)
He brought the drone down when aircraft approached! (FAA says only to avoid them; he did)
OP is Part 107 certified so he knows about traffic patterns which is why he set up where he did--Did you look at his map? Neither runway 21 or 26 were in line with him)
He didn't fly at an airport; he flew near an airport! It's not a bad choice--there was a parade he wanted to snap some shots; (FAA says to notify ATC if within 5 miles of an airport and he did that and the ATC had no issue!)

Okay lets do this, OP, who did you call? What phone number. I’m curious as to what “ATC” you spoke with at a non-towered airport..

looking at that picture... in what earth did you think it was a good idea to take off at the end of a runway and fly around? especially smaller aircraft.
If you are looking at the correct map; the one from "Airmap" at post #26 you will see he is NOT at the end of any runway

Okay lets do this, OP, who did you call? What phone number. I’m curious as to what “ATC” you spoke with at a non-towered airport..
Here is the where I got the phone number from to notify the airport. (Using AirMap)
560b3ec548936cf7ed74942ea469b76e.png

If you are looking at the correct map; the one from "Airmap" at post #26 you will see he is NOT at the end of any runway

i am looking at picture 29 and in pic 29 his flight path is EXACTLY around the end of the runway both directions and in front.

i am looking at picture 29 and in pic 29 his flight path is EXACTLY around the end of the runway both directions and in front.

I have flight logs from DJI showing me lowering my drone when I saw other aircraft taking off. I was barely above the tree line.

Funny--so now we are playing the "OP might be lying" scenario--not wasting time doing what ifs--go learn on your own; And BTW the FAA and most folks just use the term "ATC" gernerically--Part 107 licensed UAV operators know it means ATC or airport manager in cases where there is no control tower--

Here is the where I got the phone number from to notify the airport. (Using AirMap)
560b3ec548936cf7ed74942ea469b76e.png
OP: You do not need to prove to these folks anything; most are just giving their opinions as to what or what not they'd do: Good discussion though! :) I have already stated I would not have flown there just because of what happened to you--uninformed folks making it a crime and being adjacent to an airport just compounds John Q Public's fears--

But this thread is about what your options are and what to do--and I have already stated (and others) for you to do nothing because you did nothing wrong

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez