DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Truck has 120v outlet

The 120v outlet is 400amps. I get what he’s trying to do, it’s conveniently located inside the cab of the truck. Since he asked about it, I figured he wanted to use it, possibly for other stuff too. But you’re right, a 12v cigarette lighter adapter for charging or going directly to the battery would be better and less expensive. He could also use the larger battery pack with that DJI 12 V charger without an inverter as well.

Having a battery set up as useful though, I use mine for my drone, phone and camera batteries, and when plugged into the truck battery while traveling, I also can use it for my E bike and our refrigerator.
Yep, I just saw the in bed outlet and wondered if I can plug and charge. That's why I asked the Q. I just thought if I was out in the Netherlands somewhere it would be convenient. Thanks for understanding....I didn't want to over analyze it...if it was a no go that would ok too.

Reactions: LoudThunder
You've hit on one of my pet peeves, marketing practices. This here truck as a 120V output! Woohoo! This here ac charger charges fast! Zippy! How many amps output? How many amp hour draw? How clean is the power output? Crickets. I looked for you a bit on googoo and my eyes got crossed sorting through useless information and tangents to my question. As per above there's some things to understand before plugging stuff up and running the risk of creating problems.
That's why I ask questions first and follow up with research. Much better than plugging into it then ask, "Now what?"

Oh, you can also get a battery there. They have a pretty inexpensive solar battery with about the same capacity.

I looked it up on the 23 tundra manual, it’s similar to the one I have with the same wording about using some sensitive electronics.
Thank you. 😊

I'd be extremely cautious about any 12v-->120v conversion done in a car/truck; especially when considering plugging in expensive and sensitive electronics. In fact, I wouldn't do it unless I had a quality sine wave inverter between the power and the electronics

I'd stick with the 12v supply and the power outlets. If you get a good car charger, it will charge just about as fast as what you can get out of a 120v charger

I've been using this model for 3 years now with no problems:

I have one in my F350 pickup and one in my 20 year old 5th wheel. No complaints

you can also consider some high capacity fast charging power banks. They can be a bit expensive, and they need to be recharged after a few uses, but they can do a great job. Make sure that one of the outlets can deliver 65W. It's almost always a type-C in/out

Wow this got crazy fast, I have used inverters a lot square wave. Sine wave never bought one or tried one. The inverter has never messed up anything, tube televisions would have bars going through the screen and a buzz in the audio, same as older audio items.

The items you plug into the wall for this, I call them power supply's not chargers.
They are now switching power supplies. If the AC voltage is not between 108 and 135 they don't use it.

A cigarette lighter adapter would always be handy!

In the past the imports would not supply power to the cig lighter if the key is off.
I have two 250 ford trucks. The cig lighters stay powered up all the time. The USB connection dies after about 5 mins. Which really messes with your head.

If I'm wrong on this post, please let me know I made this from my memory.

Rod ..

Older vehicles have cigarette lighter sockets, newer vehicles have 12-volt accessory power supply sockets and are in many cases installed inside an arm rest, especially is the vehicle does not have an installed ashtray and I would say that is the defining feature; Ashtray equals cigarette lighter socket, No ashtray equals accessory socket.

I have 5-vehicles, the '85 Toyota has an ashtray and a cigarette lighter, and it only works if the ignition is on Accessory or Run. The 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 has an ashtray and two sockets, the cigarette lighter socket, nest to the ashtray, is powered only when the ignition is set to Accessory or Run, the other socket (has a rubber cover that plugs in to it) is powered all the time. The 2019 Toyota and the 2020 Honda do not have ashtrays and the 12-volt power socket is energized only when the ignition is on assessor or run and both are inside the front seats armrest… The '84 Harley has a cigarette lighter discretely installed (by me…) under the seat that I can reach even while driving, I don't smoke any more but it sure was cool when I was riding with friends and I could light up even on the highway…

I am glad that the cigarette lighter sockets all power off when the vehicle I turned off as I now have Garmin GPS units in all the vehicles (not the Harley…) and I do not want the batteries run down. The GPS on the truck is also plugged into the cigarette lighter for that reason…

Reactions: RodPad
That's why I ask questions first and follow up with research. Much better than plugging into it then ask, "Now what?"
I would first contact Toyota customer service and ask about the power coming out of the 120V outlet. Is it a clean sine wave compatible with electronics. How many amps continuous can it provide? Next I would look over the changer you are using and see if there is any specs on it re: amps in and amps out. If not, you can contact DJI customer support. Some of those folks are pretty good. From there you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how well it will work out. The only other thing left is some math and a bit of a swag to understand if your truck battery will provide a full charge and have enough charge left to start the truck. It should.

Well, I did call toyota and to use the 2023 Toyota Tundra 120V power plug, you have to turn the truck on, press the power button then leave the truck running while you use it. The plug can output either 400w or you can downgrade that to 100w with another push of the button. I think this for power tools and not what I need. So in fewer words, this really isn't practical for me charge my air 2s batteries.

Well, I did call toyota and to use the 2023 Toyota Tundra 120V power plug, you have to turn the truck on, press the power button then leave the truck running while you use it. The plug can output either 400w or you can downgrade that to 100w with another push of the button. I think this for power tools and not what I need. So in fewer words, this really isn't practical for me charge my air 2s batteries.
I do not know the Amp/Hour Rating of your battery… So, I believe your truck battery can provide 120 volts at 400 watts for about 6-hours so make sure you do not run any accessories too long or you may not have enough power left to start your engine to recharge the battery… When I retired back in 2000, we RV'd around the country and bought a 300 watt inverter to power the laptop while we were driving. Back then, our laptop battery only lasted about 4-hours… With the inverter we could run the laptop all day… Our GPS was a add on accessory that attached to the laptop and we ran Microsoft Maps that gave us the GPS Mapping. Oh, how things have changed.

if your truck battery will provide a full charge and have enough charge left to start the truck.
To me, that's just another good reason to use an external inverter. The good ones will sense the vehicle battery voltage and shut itself down before the voltage gets too low to start the vehicle.

Wow this got crazy fast, I have used inverters a lot square wave. Sine wave never bought one or tried one. The inverter has never messed up anything, tube televisions would have bars going through the screen and a buzz in the audio, same as older audio items.

The items you plug into the wall for this, I call them power supply's not chargers.
They are now switching power supplies. If the AC voltage is not between 108 and 135 they don't use it.

A cigarette lighter adapter would always be handy!

In the past the imports would not supply power to the cig lighter if the key is off.
I have two 250 ford trucks. The cig lighters stay powered up all the time. The USB connection dies after about 5 mins. Which really messes with your head.

Rod ..
The AC battery charger (which is an AC to DC converter) for the A2s accepts anywhere between 100 - 240V, 50 - 60 HZ. See attached picture.

Attachments

• 20230905_115506.jpg
    20230905_115506.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
I have a 120V outlet in my 2009 VW Jetta. I use it to charge my camera and other types of batteries all the time. 120V at 400W means you have over 3 Amps. The A2s battery charger uses 1.3A input. So that's well within the limits. No issues there These chargers output pure DC so not having a pure sine wave input isn't an issue. Bottom line, it's perfectly fine to charge your A2s batteries using that 120V outlet (as long as you're driving. I wouldn't do try it without having the truck running since it would probably run the battery down very fast. But as you said, the outlet doesn't work when the truck isn't.). As I said before, I picked up a 12V style charger but I use it in my RV and when I'm off grid I don't have AC power. Everything runs off my 400AH of Lithium batteries which I recharge using 400W of solar.

I agree with both of you.
If have messed with this stuff a lot, learned a lot from people that are way smarter then I.

400w / 120v = 3A

On a plug in inverter you can measure its current draw on the 12V system. The newer ones will not draw all the current it needs to provide 120V 1A. Of coarse one more variable, you check its current draw on the 12V with the engine running and not, and if its charging the battery or not.

What is it current draw at 120V 1A or 4A?
That is what you need to know.
Yes I have to make notes on these numbers. :rolleyes: :)

I really like this meter because you can test Ac or Dc current. If know clamp meters you have test current by testing only 1 leg of power.

I post this stuff, I need to know if I'm posting wrong.

Rod ..

Attachments

• IMG_3744.JPG
    IMG_3744.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member