DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Truck has 120v outlet

GrayHornet

Reactions
My truck has 120v outlet. Can I recharge my air 2s batteries safely?
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere.

Reactions: GFields
You should be able to but I'd keep an eye on it. You may need to start the truck to provide enough amps

Reactions: jmeyer1198
Thank you kindly. Will do.
WAIT!

It’s probably not a pure or even modified sinewave inverter and can fry the charger! Those inverters are really only designed for running motors which are much less sensitive. You can burn computer power supplies and another electronics using those. Get a pure sine wave 12 V to 120 V inverter that will not fry your electronics, there’s several makes out there. You won’t need a very large one - just attach it to your 12v battery. Just curious, are you driving a Tacoma?

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks. I'll research further. Maybe look into inverter.

Ok. Thanks. I'll research further. Maybe look into inverter.
Renolgy makes a pure sine wave inverter, you can get a 1000 watt one for about $200. Look at the manual for your truck, this is from a Tacoma:
Appliances that may not operate properly (120 VAC)

The following 120 VAC appliances may not operate even if their power consumption is under maximum capacity.

●Appliances with high initial peak wattage

●Measuring devices that process precise data

●Other appliances that require an extremely stable power supply

I have a 2023 toyota tundra 1794 so that might work.

Reactions: AMann
I ended up making a battery box for a 35 amp hour mobility battery, and bolted a small Renolgy pure sine wave inverter to the side. It works great for camping and I can charge all our electronics on it safely. For the box, I used a harbor freight plastic toolbox. Those are also pretty handy because they have storage compartment in the lid that I use for keeping plug adapters and extra wires for charging.

I have a 2023 toyota tundra 1794 so that might work.
Yeah, the problem is (look at your manual) they are not built as pure sine wave inverter‘s, those are pretty pricey. You can tell how bad it is for your electronics when you plug it in - you’ll hear buzzing that doesn’t happen when you plug it into a wall outlet. This is caused by the inverter trying to simulate a smooth AC current, but I can only do it in stair-steps which are bad for the electronics in power supplies and other digital equipment.

Thanks.. we have HF nearby.

Thanks.. we have HF nearby.
Oh, you can also get a battery there. They have a pretty inexpensive solar battery with about the same capacity.

I looked it up on the 23 tundra manual, it’s similar to the one I have with the same wording about using some sensitive electronics.

Reactions: GrayHornet
Reactions: AMann
You do not say what the amperage output of your 120V outlet is… Why play with various adapters, get it straight from DJI…

Buy Mavic Air 2 Car Charger - DJI Store
The 120v outlet is 400amps EDIT: 400watts not Amps!!! I get what he’s trying to do, it’s conveniently located inside the cab of the truck. Since he asked about it, I figured he wanted to use it, possibly for other stuff too. But you’re right, a 12v cigarette lighter adapter for charging or going directly to the battery would be better and less expensive. He could also use the larger battery pack with that DJI 12 V charger without an inverter as well.

Having a battery set up as useful though, I use mine for my drone, phone and camera batteries, and when plugged into the truck battery while traveling, I also can use it for my E bike and our refrigerator.

Last edited:
The 120v outlet is 400amps. I get what he’s trying to do, it’s conveniently located inside the cab of the truck. Since he asked about it, I figured he wanted to use it, possibly for other stuff too. But you’re right, a 12v cigarette lighter adapter for charging or going directly to the battery would be better and less expensive. He could also use the larger battery pack with that DJI 12 V charger without an inverter as well.

Having a battery set up as useful though, I use mine for my drone, phone and camera batteries, and when plugged into the truck battery while traveling, I also can use it for my E bike and our refrigerator.
400 Watts maybe. 400 Amps? That would surprise me.. That would be 48kW (at 120V). A Ford lightning only has a 9.6kW generator. Not sure a Tundra can output that.
I got the DJI 12V A2s battery charger as well and it worked fine in my RV, my VW Jetta and my Colorado. The charger input is 4A@14VDC and outputs 2.7A@ either 13.2V or 12.6V (DC). You are typically going to be more efficient using a DC to DC converter than taking your car battery at around 13V, stepping up and converting to AC then converting back to DC using the AC battery charger. As for the question of a non pure sign wave, the battery charger just rectifies the wave of the input then smoothes out the ripple voltage back to DC. I don't see why it would matter if the input wave isn't purely sinusoidal. Any AC motor would be effected but a battery charger wouldn't be impacted (other than efficiency of the conversion.)

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
400 Watts maybe. 400 Amps? That would surprise me.. That would be 48kW (at 120V). A Ford lightning only has a 9.6kW generator. Not sure a Tundra can output that.
I got the DJI 12V A2s battery charger as well and it worked fine in my RV, my VW Jetta and my Colorado. The charger input is 4A@14VDC and outputs 2.7A@ either 13.2V or 12.6V (DC). You are typically going to be more efficient using a DC to DC converter than taking your car battery at around 13V, stepping up and converting to AC then converting back to DC using the AC battery charger. As for the question of a non pure sign wave, the battery charger just rectifies the wave of the input then smoothes out the ripple voltage back to DC. I don't see why it would matter if the input wave isn't purely sinusoidal. Any AC motor would be effected but a battery charger wouldn't be impacted (other than efficiency of the conversion.)
Oops- yeah Watts! 🫣

100 gigawatts for the flux capacitor also!

• Haha
We did kill battery chargers on a research ship when they were not plugged into a filtered AC line- the alternators were rough and you could tell when the power supply was plugged into the wrong outlet - they buzzed.

• Wow
You've hit on one of my pet peeves, marketing practices. This here truck as a 120V output! Woohoo! This here ac charger charges fast! Zippy! How many amps output? How many amp hour draw? How clean is the power output? Crickets. I looked for you a bit on googoo and my eyes got crossed sorting through useless information and tangents to my question. As per above there's some things to understand before plugging stuff up and running the risk of creating problems.

Nice truck model, by the way! Mine is a 2017 Tacoma.
Good to see others that have a Tacoma. Mine is a 2013 and I’ve already gone thru the hard wire install of a 2000 watt sine wave inverter just for running a small portable fridge and charging drone batteries. I also have both connections for 120 and 12 volt at the tailgate. Cigarette lighter socket with USB A and C connections. A great time saver and works well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_