DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying some metal enclosures with hyperlapse and then manually flying.

karlblessing

Gerbil Charmer Extraordinaire
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
karlblessing.com
The Air 2S doing a little better about metal enclosures than the Mini 2 did (though last time I tried it with the Mini 2 it was thru more of a train-like metal bridge turned into a trail footpath that was narrower).

First sequence being a 1mph hyperlapse where I set a locked course. Tried to line up the path preview based on the map. Course the actual structure and where the map shows the structure being aren't quite the same thing. As a result I would just stop the hyperlapse when it got a little close, then restart it after re-orienting the course.

All the metal probably isn't helping GPS either, however GPS signal was excellent all thru, though based on the path recorded, it's not nearly as straight as you'd expect an automated locked course to have with around 22 satellites locked.

Second being a video at ISO 1600 on the way back thru halfway flown manually, which appears a little straighter, and was down the middle of the bridge.

I kept the auxiliary lamp on on both paths to make it more obvious where it was over, and walked under the drone with it going thru.

I guess the control would have been to fly maybe 20 feet above the bridge down the length of it as it wouldn't be impacted by the metal to see for comparison.

1667810358128.png
1667810369454.png

Reactions: CvCow
I guess the control would have been to fly maybe 20 feet above the bridge down the length of it as it wouldn't be impacted by the metal to see for comparison.
The only way that steel can impact on GPS is to block the sky.
For a very open cage structure like this bridge, impact would have been negligible.

The only way that steel can impact on GPS is to block the sky.
For a very open cage structure like this bridge, impact would have been negligible.
So locked course at 1mph is just a little wibbly-wobbly then with the positioning then. Though at a height of about 9ft with auxiliary lights on, would it have been more reliant the VPS or the GPS? Assuming hyper lapse course would even bother with VPS for it's orientation.

Though this bridge I was talking about before with the mini 2 (Also open to the sky) definitely had weird drifts that were non-existant once cleared the inside of the structure (and there was no wind). And the mini 2 doesn't have obstacle avoidance.

So I'm thinking despite the openness the metal is doing something, be it with the compass or otherwise.

Edit: Wind for the blue bridge above was 8mph forecast, but with Air data calculating inflight wind to be 2.2mph with 7.4mph max gust, so wind not likely a factor.

So I'm thinking despite the openness the metal is doing something, be it with the compass or otherwise.
If the drone is closer than about 6ft to large steel parts, compass deviation could be expected to cause a little trouble maintaining a straight course.

If the drone is closer than about 6ft to large steel parts, compass deviation could be expected to cause a little trouble maintaining a straight course.
So not likely that on the blue bridge as it remained more than 6ft for the most part up until it got closer to the bounce (ie: where I turned it off and reoriented). I'm mainly going to chalk it up to to tiny GPS variations (Since it's not accurate down to an inch) that is much more noticeable while moving only 1mph along a path. The same deviation of a couple inches wouldn't be as noticeable flying thru at several times that speed.

That brown rusty bridge though in the link I was referencing, it's at best 10 foot across with a little bit of room for someone walking to allow a bike rider to pass them. So a drone would very easily be within 6 feet of either side of the metal structure.

Yea the Drone definitely does not like the blue bridge. Keeps pulling it over and causing erratic movement. And wanted a compass calibration, but soon as I walk about 20 feet away from the entrance, compass is fine, walk back near the opening immediately wants a compass calibration and I was easily over 15feet away from any of the side metal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13