DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two More Battery Failures

120 or so flights in hot weather doesnt sound TOO out of the ordinary for a LiPo (its roughly what i got with my mavic 1s).

Just had minimal swelling of a battery purchased 12/19. Of note it did have 160-170 flights on it and many in ambient temps of 100-102 degrees F.
That's good to know. It could, indeed, simply be age related, as was postulated earlier. However, minimal swelling that still snaps in properly after 160+ flights in higher ambient temperatures is still good. Does it still firmly snap in? Can you clarify minimal? My oldest 2018.10 battery seems a little softer on the flat bottom side, but it still no swelling. If it takes 9 months for any swelling to develop, and 12 months or longer for it to start to become a problem, we should be OK. The swollen ones are probably just the unlucky 1% among all those sold even from 2018.08 and prior. The earliest Production Date I have seen so far is 2018.07. Perhaps those manufactured during the summer heat last year suffered before assembly? Time will tell, if it is just age related on all M2 batteries, or just the 2018.08 and earlier Production Dates.

That's good to know. It could, indeed, simply be age related, as was postulated earlier. However, minimal swelling that still snaps in properly after 160+ flights in higher ambient temperatures is still good. Does it still firmly snap in? Can you clarify minimal? My oldest 2018.10 battery seems a little softer on the flat bottom side, but it still no swelling. If it takes 9 months for any swelling to develop, and 12 months or longer for it to start to become a problem, we should be OK. The swollen ones are probably just the unlucky 1% among all those sold even from 2018.08 and prior. The earliest Production Date I have seen so far is 2018.07. Perhaps those manufactured during the summer heat last year suffered before assembly? Time will tell, if it is just age related on all M2 batteries, or just the 2018.08 and earlier Production Dates.
Minimal= if I look across the lower (contact) side I can see it. It is palpable.maybe 1/16 of an inch tops.

I just bought and received a new 2 pack through Amazon for $275.
It's 93F outside so the batteries arrived rather warm. I unpacked them and let them cool close to room temperature. Batteries were asleep as they did not respond to button press as expected.

I put them on charger long enough to wake them up, then installed them to get their shipped statistics:
Both manufactured 2019-7
0 charge cycles
SoC 25%
Temp 34C - this after having let them cool from shipping for about 1/2 hour
Latches seem a bit stiffer.

If I didn't mention it, my other 3 batteries have a charge cycle of around 26.

I realize many will disagree with me, but the I'll at least use the two with 1-2mm swell for non or minimal flight use, such as going over settings or creating waypoints. Up until now I've been skiddish about trying waypoints for fear of wasting battery or creating bad waypoints. I'm used to the P3 method where you had to fly the mission and create WP that way. That seemed safer to me as you know exactly where you are having it fly.

Reactions: Greenflash
Add mine to the data.... Mavic 2 Pro.... 3 batteries, all are swelling now!
1) 24 charges, MFG: Nov. 2018
2) 21 charges, MFG: Oct. 2018
3) 23 charges, MFG: Oct.. 2018

However, this means nothing except that we all have some crummy batteries. I know of no recourse other than to buy replacements at $150 each!!

Add mine to the data.... Mavic 2 Pro.... 3 batteries, all are swelling now!
1) 24 charges, MFG: Nov. 2018
2) 21 charges, MFG: Oct. 2018
3) 23 charges, MFG: Oct.. 2018

However, this means nothing except that we all have some crummy batteries. I know of no recourse other than to buy replacements at $150 each!!
Seems like the 12-24 month age is the sweet spot for swelling, combined with heat. As more M2 batteries mature, more will start swelling.

I too had battery issues with my M2P Fly More Package that I purchased the day of the M2P rollout. I ended up using a Velcro strap that I made for several weeks of flying until I realized that this is really DJI's problem. I spoke with Customer Support and explained my case. I have four other DJI products (drones) and have been, in my opinion, a pretty good customer. I was given a case # and was asked to send the batteries in. I included a very detailed letter explaining the situation, once again, and explained to them the fact that based on complaints read on several forums, hundreds, if not thousands of these M2P batteries were faulty, and that the one year warranty had no relevance due to the fact that it looked to be a manufacturing problem that can cost hundreds of dollars (in my case, 25% of the entire purchase) to keep the bird in the air. I use my drones for recreational purposes only, but can imagine what the lost opportunity cost could be to those that rely on their birds for livelihoods. I sent my batteries (3) in just a week and a half ago, and I am receiving three new batteries, free of charge, delivered by UPS tomorrow. They did the right thing! Make sure that you have a compelling case. Good Luck!!

Reactions: mr.jipi_
I too had battery issues with my M2P Fly More Package that I purchased the day of the M2P rollout. I ended up using a Velcro strap that I made for several weeks of flying until I realized that this is really DJI's problem. I spoke with Customer Support and explained my case. I have four other DJI products (drones) and have been, in my opinion, a pretty good customer. I was given a case # and was asked to send the batteries in. I included a very detailed letter explaining the situation, once again, and explained to them the fact that based on complaints read on several forums, hundreds, if not thousands of these M2P batteries were faulty, and that the one year warranty had no relevance due to the fact that it looked to be a manufacturing problem that can cost hundreds of dollars (in my case, 25% of the entire purchase) to keep the bird in the air. I use my drones for recreational purposes only, but can imagine what the lost opportunity cost could be to those that rely on their birds for livelihoods. I sent my batteries (3) in just a week and a half ago, and I am receiving three new batteries, free of charge, delivered by UPS tomorrow. They did the right thing! Make sure that you have a compelling case. Good Luck!!
The key seems to be escalation of the case, after initially being rejected. They have a specific escalation team that is handling the M2 battery swellings! I got mine replaced, too!

Now a total of three batteries have failed (swollen). I use and care for my batteries properly so don't try and tell me I did anything wrong. I am convinced there was a bad batch or batches of batteries. Some these batteries have less than 30 charges. Since I rotate between five batteries they are all out of warranty.
The exact same has happened to me. Today battery number 3 has swollen to a degree impossible to use any longer. The first two went off in May this year! DJI simply says: "Out of warranty".
There must be a production or design problem that DJI should admit and act accordingly! I am pi....
In Europe these batteries are pretty expensive! (> 80 euro!)

The exact same has happened to me. Today battery number 3 has swollen to a degree impossible to use any longer. The first two went off in May this year! DJI simply says: "Out of warranty".
There must be a production or design problem that DJI should admit and act accordingly! I am pi....
In Europe these batteries are pretty expensive! (> 80 euro!)
Any swelling of a battery should exclude it from further flight.

IMG_20200825_001230~2.jpg

I now have 7 like this. Swollen to the extent even the tops are cracked. These are roughly 30 cycles a piece.

I did try a support request about 4 weeks ago to be told "We'd like to help you but we dont have any batteries. Try again later". Initially i tried a year ago and got told simply they're over 6 months old so tough luck.

I'll try again this week as they clearly have them in stock again now.

View attachment 114503

I now have 7 like this. Swollen to the extent even the tops are cracked. These are roughly 30 cycles a piece.

I did try a support request about 4 weeks ago to be told "We'd like to help you but we dont have any batteries. Try again later". Initially i tried a year ago and got told simply they're over 6 months old so tough luck.

I'll try again this week as they clearly have them in stock again now.
That's the worst I have seen. Keep trying with escalation as necessary.

Good to know! DJI never released a recall for some of these faulty batches?

No recall ever. It seems very sporadic, some repair centres or support regions replaced, some havent so its luck who you end up with.
Im going to try again but theres no way im going to send 7 badly swollen, physically cracked lithium batteries through the post for inspection.

No recall ever. It seems very sporadic, some repair centres or support regions replaced, some havent so its luck who you end up with.
Im going to try again but theres no way im going to send 7 badly swollen, physically cracked lithium batteries through the post for inspection.
I highly doubtful they will replace them, without you first returning the swollen batteries to them. The negotiation can only take place after they have received them for inspection. The swelling itself is not a safety issue, unless you are flying with them.

I highly doubtful they will replace them, without you first returning the swollen batteries to them. The negotiation can only take place after they have received them for inspection. The swelling itself is not a safety issue, unless you are flying with them.
Their FAQ specifically mentions not sending physically damaged lithium batteries back to them. Swollen and physically cracked is going to count as physically damaged.

" 1) For safety concerns, please DO NOT ship a severely damaged battery (e.g., a swollen or leaking battery). If DJI receives such a battery, we will dispose of it immediately and not issue a repair or replacement. "

Their FAQ specifically mentions not sending physically damaged lithium batteries back to them. Swollen and physically cracked is going to count as physically damaged.

" 1) For safety concerns, please DO NOT ship a severely damaged battery (e.g., a swollen or leaking battery). If DJI receives such a battery, we will dispose of it immediately and not issue a repair or replacement. "
Just trying to help you, help which you apparently don't want. Don't shoot the messenger. They won't replace a battery out of warranty without physical possession of it. Swollen batteries are not "damaged." They are simply not suitable for flight. Do as you wish. Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky